Tivo remote with AVR

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by bueller555, Nov 14, 2011.

1. bueller555

bueller555 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    I have a Denon AVR-1612 that has two buttons for power. One is for power on and another button is to go to standby (off). I have HDMI CEC running between the AVR and the tv, but powering off seems to be a problem. Powering on seems to be fine where the AVR goes to "on" and the tv also powers on. The Tivo remote power button powers off the tv, but the AVR doesn't go to standby. I assume that it's because of the two power buttons that the AVR uses.

How do others work around this issue? My wife loves the simplicity of the Tivo remote and having to use another remote just to move the AVR to standby is a little annoying. I don't know if the the Tivo Glo or slide remote is needed? I'm using a Tivo HD. Thanks!

2. a68oliver

a68oliver Member

Jul 15, 2000
    Crawfordsvil...
  3. bueller555

bueller555 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Thanks for the reply, but I think that the AVR power on and standby signals are different commands. That is why the AVR's remote has two separate buttons for each function. I can turn on both the tv and AVR just fine, but I can only turn off the tv and not the AVR. I imagine that the AVR's standby command is a different signal than the power on command.

If there's no solution with the standard Tivo remote, I wonder if I need to consider the Tivo Glo or slider remote for the learning function? I could then assign the AVR's standby command to a different button and turn things off with two clicks instead of one.

4. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If it's anything like my 3805, I suspect that the only way to actually shut off AC power to the Denon is to physically switch it off with the little power button on the front panel (the big one being the one that puts it in standby), and that any remote is only going to be able to take it in and out of standby.

5. bueller555

bueller555 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    At this point, I'm leaning towards getting the Tivo Slide remote and reprogramming one of the A/B/C/D buttons to put the AVR into standby. Can someone simply verify if these buttons can be programmed?

6. a68oliver

a68oliver Member

Jul 15, 2000
    Crawfordsvil...
    Depending on how much you want to spend on a remote, you may consider purchasing the Glo Remote and reprogramming (learning) the standby command on the input button.

7. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    I have exactly this situation in my theater. My AVR uses a single code to go on and off, but my projector uses separate on and off codes. (The projector also requires the user to hit the power off button twice to shut down.) To take care of the situation, I programmed the <Power> button on the TiVo Glo remote to send the AVR power command and the TV power on command. I then programmed the <Input> button on the Glo remote to send the TV power off command. To turn the system on, I simply press <Power>. To turn it off, I press <Input> button twice and the <power> button once.

8. bueller555

bueller555 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Thanks. I'll probably go with the slide remote and program one of the buttons to send my AVR to standby. Amazon sells it for about $40, so it's not as pricey as it once was. Thanks.

9. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    I've heard some good things about the slide remote, including the fact it may have better battery life than the Glo remote. I can't speak from any personal experience, however. Certainly $40 sounds like a pretty good deal.