TiVo remote use with APPLE TV

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by WVZR1, Jun 22, 2020.

1. WVZR1

WVZR1 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...

Advertisements

I've seen this mentioned elsewhere for TiVo remote use with ATV. I've an acquaintance that can likely provide the SALT. remote for me also. I DO NOT SPEAK so any Siri/VOX is of no interest.

How to control your Apple TV with a TiVo remote

Has anyone here in the 'Community' done similar. Maybe the author is actually a 'user'!

My question is - I have one of each, the original Slide and also a SlidePro. These are both NIB, I need either sell both OR would you think maybe the Pro might be able to be used for the ATV and also the keyboard?

Thoughts?

2. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    No, you can't use the keyboard with an ATV. It can learn menu/arrows/ok/play/pause/ffwd/rew/prev/next from any IR remote. But that's all it can learn. There is no way to use any other commands. Even if it could learn more commands, the Slide only sends the keyboard commands over RF, which makes them unlearnable.

I don't understand the rest of your post (SALT?).

3. WVZR1

WVZR1 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    The original Slide I thought was 'BlueTooth'?

SALT. is a Swiss ATV remote.

Remote control

4. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    In this case my use of the term RF simply means NOT IR, which would encompass Bluetooth frequencies as well, also unlearnable by an IR device. I was simply trying to save keystrokes.

Interesting remote. Looks like my Fire stick remote.

5. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT

Advertisements

The way people whine about the AppleTV remote, that seems like a nice alternative.

wizwor likes this.
  6. WVZR1

WVZR1 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    I'm not actually 'whining' but it seems like a nuisance that could maybe be avoided. With the exception of one friend everyone else I know when asked their opinion of ATV4(k) mentions it's their only issue. The 'one friend' is somewhat of a contrarian - he likely has another that he prefers/uses but wouldn't admit!

7. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    I tried doing it and was kinda cool but it also was operating the TiVo while in IR mode, so as I was arrowing around the Apple TV menu on screen, the TiVo was going bonkers from all the button pushes as well. Realized this after I switched the inputs back. Not sure how to get around this aside from getting a second TiVo remote which sort of defeats the use of it. Maybe someone here knows a workaround but I didn't want to use it bad enough to investigate further.

WVZR1 likes this.
  8. WVZR1

WVZR1 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    I had a loose TiVo remote and did it also. If either of my (NIB) Slide Remote 'keyboards' would have been thought to function I might have looked further into their use, but like you it seemed a bit 'clutsy' so I just left it at that. I'll likely just sell the (NIB) Slides and do either the SALT. or a different "Streaming ALL-IN-ONE'.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  9. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    I don’t think you can get the SALT remote outside of Sweden can you?

10. WVZR1

WVZR1 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    It's Switzerland but I've an acquaintance there that I've sourced many items for here in the US of A. I wish it were Sweden, I've an acquaintance there that actually owes me $$$$. The fellow in Switzerland has always paid the bill!!!

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  11. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    SALT-like remote available in the US spotted in another forum (thanks ChicagoChris):
    This $30 remote is for anyone who loves their Apple TV but hates its Siri Remote
    BUTTON REMOTE FOR APPLE TV

And of course there's the OneForAll Streamer remote that works the same but is more programmable. Add a JP1 cable to program graphically from a computer using Remote Master software:
    Streamer Remote
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/One-For-All-URC7935-Streamer-Remote/139687346

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  12. WVZR1

WVZR1 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    So how does the JP1 cable and software program the URC7935? That seems quite interesting.

The damn Wuhan-flu seems to have created issues for me and sourcing the SALT. from Switzerland.

13. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Like this:
    JP1 - Just How Easy Is It? - JP1 Remotes

There are also some youtube videos. Those are with a different remote, but the software works the same with all remotes.

Remote Master has been around in one form or another for about 20 years. We're constantly adding support for new remotes. The software works with nearly 400 different remote models now.

I have 4 URC7935's now. It's not a great remote in JP1 terms due to its very basic functionality, but it serves the purpose and has good build quality and backlighting and is cheap. I got all mine for under $10 each on ebay. Without JP1 software, they're quite complicated to program and operate, which leads to a lot of confusion and returns. But the baffled consumer's loss is our gain.

The OARUSB04G in the Youtube videos is a much more powerful JP1 remote and includes a cable for about the same price as the Streamer remote.

Here's the thread about all the new features we had to add to Remote Master to support this remote (multi-colored LED ring and Activities):
    JP1 Remotes :: View topic - One For All URC 7935 Streamer Remote

When I talk about all the JP1 things "we" did, I mean the JP1 community, mostly user mathdon, the main developer for the past several years. He's done some amazing things, adding support for some very complex remotes, adding a bluetooth stack, Raspberry Pi support and integrating some very powerful signal analysis tools. You can basically paste any codes you find on the internet in any format into Remote Master and load them into your remote. Likewise, if your device isn't one of our hundred or so known protocols, you can make your own protocol to control any consumer IR device on the planet.

14. WVZR1

WVZR1 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    A new adventure!! I might likely have many questions. Would you mind a few? I've a XG1V4 Xfinity box, a streamer (currently ATV4), A TiVo Mini into a Yamaha TSR-5830 with a Darbee 600S to a 64" Samsung Plasma. I've turned off CEC, I'm using a CEC-less HDMI cable because I had some CEC (I thought) issues using the Darbee. during the day I seldom use the display but just listen to maybe News etc. Xfinity box is always on so that's not an issue. I just walk by the AVR hit a 'Scene button' and that's it. Use the Xfinity remote from memory to do channel swaps. It might be nice if I could use the 4 'streaming buttons' for Scene select on the URC7935.

I have a near identical AVR TSR-5810, TiVo Roamio, streamer, a Darbee 5100CIE and a 1080P display in another room. The XG1V4 is through an always on HDMI splitter. Aside from the multiple remotes it does well. i ordered 1 of the URC7935 today and I've been through some/most of the link you provided.

15. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
  16. WVZR1

WVZR1 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    Scene buttons are on the Yamaha remote and after reading the support pages I believe I'll be OK. I ordered one so I'll know in maybe a week. I nearly bought one of these a few months ago but thought the SALT. might be more appropriate. It seems pretty 'straight forward' for generic set-up. I don't know that I understand the MACRO procedure for ATV4 apps but I'll give it a try. I appreciate you mentioning this remote in this thread.

Is there actually a 6 pin internal connector available for programming this remote?

17. CommunityMember

CommunityMember Active Member

May 22, 2020
    Of course, the rumor (based on a breakdown of the iOS (tvOS?) 14 code) is Apple is about to release a new remote, likely with a new ATV version (which showed up in breakdowns from tvOS 13 betas). One can hope that Apple has listened to their customers to improve the remote. All one has to do is have patience until the Apple event in the fall. You have patience, don't you?

18. convergent

convergent Active Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    Late to the thread but I'll share my experience with this, because the Siri Remote is the main reason I'm currently evaluating a TS4K to replace the ATV4Ks I have.

This issue with the ATV remote is part the remote, and part the ATV. There are not enough buttons on the remote, and so they didn't allow the ATV to be programmed for other functions that something like a Tivo remote have on it. After running Channels DVR for a few weeks on the ATV, I tried it on Android TV last night and what an amazing contrast. With my Sony TV remote (and Tivo Stream will do same), I can go to Guide, Live TV, Skip Commercials, Info, channel numbers, and last channel. There is no way to do these things on an ATV, no matter what remote you pair with it.

Further, Apple stupidly made on button on the remote Bluetooth only, and the rest work with IR. That one button, the TV button, is how you bring up the app switcher, put the ATV to sleep, etc. Why would they make a single button not callable by IR??? The trackpad is nice, but its causes many streaming apps to code to it which makes using any universal remote a problem. Philo for example makes the info menu only available by swiping down, and that is where you turn on and off closed caption. So it is impossible to do this with any remote other than the Siri remote. Not even Apples old TV remote will work.

I have not used the Tivo remote with ATV, but I did program it to pair with a Roku remote and it worked very well. But with the limited buttons ATV supports. For my ATV's the best alternative remote is the Caavo, because it can deal with that bluetooth TV button. Harmony's may be able to as well. But now that I'm down to a single streaming box connected to the TV, I'm not going to invest in remotes that cost as much or more than the ATV and also drag a lot of extra hardware into it. So I'm using the AllforOneStreamer which you can get for under $20 at Best Buy or Walmart. They will do whatever the Salt remote does because they are all IR.

As for Apple releasing a "new remote" and/or "new ATV", I seriously doubt we will see that until next year, and its anybody's guess whether a new remote is part of a new ATV. The only rumors I've seen about it were wishful thinking. I've not seen any mock ups or real information that came from Apple indicating they are doing this, or even that they think there is a problem with the Siri remote. This came out during the Jony (everything has to be thinner) Ive era at Apple, and whether they come out with a proper TV remote or not ... I would not get my hopes up.