TiVo remote use with APPLE TV

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by WVZR1, Jun 22, 2020.

1. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    I've seen this mentioned elsewhere for TiVo remote use with ATV. I've an acquaintance that can likely provide the SALT. remote for me also. I DO NOT SPEAK so any Siri/VOX is of no interest.

How to control your Apple TV with a TiVo remote

Has anyone here in the 'Community' done similar. Maybe the author is actually a 'user'!

My question is - I have one of each, the original Slide and also a SlidePro. These are both NIB, I need either sell both OR would you think maybe the Pro might be able to be used for the ATV and also the keyboard?

Thoughts?

2. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    No, you can't use the keyboard with an ATV. It can learn menu/arrows/ok/play/pause/ffwd/rew/prev/next from any IR remote. But that's all it can learn. There is no way to use any other commands. Even if it could learn more commands, the Slide only sends the keyboard commands over RF, which makes them unlearnable.

I don't understand the rest of your post (SALT?).

3. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    The original Slide I thought was 'BlueTooth'?

SALT. is a Swiss ATV remote.

Remote control

4. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    In this case my use of the term RF simply means NOT IR, which would encompass Bluetooth frequencies as well, also unlearnable by an IR device. I was simply trying to save keystrokes.

Interesting remote. Looks like my Fire stick remote.

5. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    The way people whine about the AppleTV remote, that seems like a nice alternative.

6. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    I'm not actually 'whining' but it seems like a nuisance that could maybe be avoided. With the exception of one friend everyone else I know when asked their opinion of ATV4(k) mentions it's their only issue. The 'one friend' is somewhat of a contrarian - he likely has another that he prefers/uses but wouldn't admit!

7. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    I tried doing it and was kinda cool but it also was operating the TiVo while in IR mode, so as I was arrowing around the Apple TV menu on screen, the TiVo was going bonkers from all the button pushes as well. Realized this after I switched the inputs back. Not sure how to get around this aside from getting a second TiVo remote which sort of defeats the use of it. Maybe someone here knows a workaround but I didn't want to use it bad enough to investigate further.

WVZR1 likes this.
  8. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    I had a loose TiVo remote and did it also. If either of my (NIB) Slide Remote 'keyboards' would have been thought to function I might have looked further into their use, but like you it seemed a bit 'clutsy' so I just left it at that. I'll likely just sell the (NIB) Slides and do either the SALT. or a different "Streaming ALL-IN-ONE'.

9. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    I don’t think you can get the SALT remote outside of Sweden can you?

10. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    It's Switzerland but I've an acquaintance there that I've sourced many items for here in the US of A. I wish it were Sweden, I've an acquaintance there that actually owes me $$$$. The fellow in Switzerland has always paid the bill!!!

PSU_Sudzi likes this.