1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TIVO remote turns on TV when I do't want it to...Help!

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Andrelaplume3, Mar 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Mar 6, 2018 #1 of 71
    Andrelaplume3

Andrelaplume3 Member

Mar 6, 2018
    I know you will think I am crazy but this is happening and it’s driving me nuts. I have an LG 60” plasma set in our basement. We have Tivo Premier (I believe) thru our cable company. They set everything up. It works great. The remote has the A/B/C/D buttons if that helps.

In the same space we just added a Viewsonic projector. We want to use the projector instead of the TV at times, and want to use the projector outdoors in the summer. We want both in the same room.

I bought a decent HDMI splitter and 40 foot HDMI cable. The Cable signal now runs to both to the TV and Projector. Both work fine.

Here is the kicker. When using the Viewsonic Projector, I use it’s remote to turn on the projector and control the volume. I use the Tivo remote for everything else. Oddly, I have found if I hit the Viewsonic Projector’s trapezoid button (forget what it’s called but it adjusts the shape of the picture), my LG TV turns on! Fortunately we don’t have a real need to hit that button. You may see where I am going with this...

The problem is that when I use the TIVO remote with the projector (and I discovered it does not matter if the projector is on or not) whenever I press the: Select button twice the TV turns on. Worse, if I hit the up arrow...like when you want to scroll thru the channel menu, the TV comes on. Well, try using your projector with TIVO and not using these buttons! I ONLY WANT THE TV TO TURN ON WHEN I PRESS THE GREEN TV/PWR BUTTON ON THE TIVO REMOTE!!!

How do I make this happen. I have tried every code for my LG set. Any code that works the TV comes along with the added ‘feature’ of turning on the TV whenever the: Select button is hit twice or when the Up button is hit. I had to resort to unplugging the TV. Surely there is a way to disable the other two buttons from turning on the TV....? Btw they don't turn it off, just on.

I’d prefer not to completely wipe the TV from the TIVO remote’s memory....I want the green button to turn the set on/off, the Input button to control the input...I just do not want the extra buttons turning on the TV!

I really wanted to get an extra TIVO remote and have one for TV use and one for Projector use...assuming a TIVO remote could even control the projector....but at this point I can’t watch the projector without unplugging the TV!

Any ideas?

2. Mar 6, 2018 #2 of 71
    mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    The IR codes between LG and ViewSonic are quite different, so I'm pretty confident that's not the cause. It's more likely HDMI CEC. So go into the settings on both the projector and TV and turn off HDMI Control (LG calls it SIMPLINK, not sure what Viewsonic calls theirs).

3. Mar 6, 2018 #3 of 71
    Andrelaplume3

Andrelaplume3 Member

Mar 6, 2018
    Okay no idea what you're talking about but I will go home and go through the menus till I find something called SimplSimpl ...I think I remember seeing that actually.
    What is the ramification of turning it off ...what does it do. That fix my bigger problem with the TiVo remote on the select and up our turning the TV on?

And since you seem very technical another question .. I have the HDMI running to both sources... if I were to further hook a speaker to the output of the TiVo box ... What I get sound to that speaker. Then I could just mute the TV and the viewonic and have one speaker source. I am guessing though that the Box either sends the sound over the HDMI or to the output but not both?

4. Mar 6, 2018 #4 of 71
    mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Yes, that should fix it. There are other ramifications but none that you need to worry about with your setup. The main thing it does is make things mysteriously turn on when you don't want them to :)

Tivo will send sound to both. The Viewsonic has no internal speakers, so that will be fine as is. You can probably disable your TV speakers rather than mute because mute typically shows an icon on the screen which will be annoying. Tivo can't send an amplified audio signal, so your speakers need to be powered, like a soundbar, computer speakers that have a wall wart, or speakers connected to an amp or receiver.

5. Mar 6, 2018 #5 of 71
    Andrelaplume3

Andrelaplume3 Member

Mar 6, 2018
    I am not seeing a simplink...I think I may have seen it in my other LG set...any idea what section it might be under?

6. Mar 6, 2018 #6 of 71
    Andrelaplume3

Andrelaplume3 Member

Mar 6, 2018
    It's not on my plasma as far as I can tell. What else will cause the Tivo select button or up arrow to turn tv on?

7. Mar 6, 2018 #7 of 71
    kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    Mikeguy likes this.
  8. Mar 7, 2018 #8 of 71
    Andrelaplume3

Andrelaplume3 Member

Mar 6, 2018
    Changed the remote address to:1. Shut the tv. Pressed the Up arrow...tv turned on. Ditto for select button. What the heck....

9. Mar 7, 2018 #9 of 71
    mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    No idea. Have to check the manual. To prove thats the cause, unplug the HDMI to the TV and see if the remote still turns it on.

10. eherberg

eherberg Active Member

Feb 16, 2011
    As mentioned at AVS - since this happens with the projector remote too, it is a TV problem, not a TiVo problem.

Try checking the menu as described here:

11. Andrelaplume3

Andrelaplume3 Member

Mar 6, 2018
    1) Unplugging the hdmi everywhere made n difference. TIVO remote up arrow or select turns tv on.

2) Whether a TV problem or a TIVO problem...I am looking for a solution...however the TIVO remote is somehow sending the signal that is turning the TV on....how do I stop the remote from doing so....?

12. eherberg

eherberg Active Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Since it isn't just the TiVo remote, it is also the Viewsonic - you may have better luck at an LG forum like this. Some items that will be useful is the exact model of the LG -- whether it is a magic remote model -- etc.

13. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Well that disproves my theory about HDMI CEC causing it. Since Tivo codes are vastly different from LG codes, there is no logical reason an LG TV would respond to any Tivo code.

Are you sure the TV is powered completely off when you perform your test, not just in sleep/standby mode? Next thing I would check is the power settings on the TV and make sure it's set up to turn completely off, not just go into standby.

Would you mind posting the model number of your TV?

EDIT: I totally missed the HDMI splitter part before. This leads me even more to think that your TV isn't really off, just that the display is blank, and when you wake your Tivo, the TV simply sees a signal and displays it.

I'm also not convinced that all HDMI was disconnected when you ran your test. Did you get a picture when you tested the remote with no HDMI connected?

Try another test with nothing plugged into your TV except the power cord. Use the original TV remote to turn the TV completely off. Then press OK on your Tivo remote but with your hand completely covering the front of the remote, blocking IR. Repeat with your hand NOT blocking the front.

I found a manual for a LG plasma TV, and Simplink settings are on page 48. Turn it off. If there is a "Sync Power On" setting, also turn that off.

It also looks like it's impossible to actually turn off the TV without unplugging it. The power button just puts it in standby. So your Tivo button isn't really turning the TV on because it never actually goes off.

http://www.lg.com/us/commercial/documents/42pq30c-owner-manual.pdf

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  14. Andrelaplume3

Andrelaplume3 Member

Mar 6, 2018
    lol...tried all that but to be sure I just:
    1) Unplugged hdmi cord form the one and only hdmi slot this plasma has.

2)shut tv...heard it click off(?) and picture goes blank...the NO Signal Message went away.

3) Unplugged TV. Waitied for red power tight to go off...took 15 seconds, heard click, blank screen.

4) waited a bit

5) Plugged tv in, heard a click , screen on says No Signal.

6) Shut tv with tv remote, heard a click, screen blank, No Signal Message gone

7) Turned tv back on with TIVO by hitting select button. No signal Message appears.

Plugged back in hdmi.

Notes:
    No Maigic motion...but my upstairs TV has one I believe.
    No Simplink, again, upstairs one has it I think.
    No Sync Power on I can find.
    Model is: 60PB5600
    Model is:

15. Andrelaplume3

Andrelaplume3 Member

Mar 6, 2018
    btw, if it matters...the remote is RB87 or RC30(this is my upstairs TiVo remote - the select/up arrow also turn the tv on with it as well)....

16. Andrelaplume3

Andrelaplume3 Member

Mar 6, 2018
    ...and ....the remote does NOT exhibit this behavior on my upstairs LED LG tv...just the plasma....I think I have everyone stumped but thanks!

17. m.s

m.s Active Member

Mar 8, 2007
  18. Andrelaplume3

Andrelaplume3 Member

Mar 6, 2018
    Resetting did not work. :(

19. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Yep, I’m stumped.

20. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    Tivo remote addresses 1&2, 3&4, 5&6, 7&8 only differ by one bit out of 32 in the signals they send. Changing to another address like 8 might help because it's a slightly bigger change that affects a few more bits.

Nevertheless, no TV should be misinterpreting those IR signals and I would focus on LG as the culprit and kick their ass until they come up with a firmware fix. The NEC2 IR protocol has been around for decades, and the first two bytes define the manufacturer. No way should ANYTHING else be responding to codes that were assigned to TiVo back in '99.

There was a big rash of similar posts on the official forums (with a different TV manufacturer) a while back.

ClearToLand likes this.