Tivo remote skips back 7 seconds when switching from fast forward to play

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by kflinch, Nov 27, 2018.

1. kflinch

kflinch Member

May 19, 2004
    Philly Suburbs

Advertisements

Tivo remote skips back 7 seconds when switching from fast forward to play. This is not new functionality. I believe it functions as designed and not a defect. However I am plain tired of watching the last 7 seconds of the last commercial before the program restarts.

Scenario - I am watching a recording and when a commercial starts I press the fast forward button. When all of the commercials are passed and the program is playing I press play. However the tivo jumps back 5-7 seconds and plays the end of the last commercial. It must be designed for people with slow reactions. It's been like this forever. I'm just really tired of it now.

Is there a way to turn off this feature so the tivo plays from the point when I press the play button rather than jump back? Many years ago when I had an earlier tivo model I found a code to enter on the remote that turned off the jump back function. However the code was reset every time a software upgrade was installed. Back then software upgrades were frequent so I stopped entering the code and have forgotten what it was. Does anyone know what that code is? Tivos seem a lot more stable now. My last software update was in April.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Those are backdoor codes and they do not work with models starting with the Series 3 (I think).

3. kflinch

kflinch Member

May 19, 2004
    Philly Suburbs
    Are there any other options?

4. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    the only workaround i can think of - press pause to stop the ffwd, then press play?

5. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH

Advertisements

Try to estimate when you're 7 seconds past the point you want then hit play. :D I've never perfected it, but doubt that removing the skip-back would help much. Estimating the exact point you want is just too difficult during full fast-forward.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  6. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    The remote has nothing to do with the problem

7. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    Yeah, it's hard-coded into the OS (not the remote). If memory serves it skips back 3 seconds at FF1, 8 seconds at FF2, and 30 seconds at FF3. You could change those values on a hacked Series 1 with TivoWebPlus, but I don't think any later units supported it.

Your reaction time must be really fast. For me, it's the perfect amount of rewind once I see the show start again and one of the features that I really love about TiVos.

Mikeguy likes this.
  8. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    yeah, i usually count 3 ticks before pressing play with 2xffwd, 4 ticks when using 3xffwd (ymmv).

9. KDeFlane

KDeFlane Active Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    Reaction times do vary between individuals. Our household mantra is "react, don't anticipate," meaning "wait for the first bits of the show to appear, don't try to stop the FF at the end of what you think is the end of the commercial break." With shows in the NCIS family, it's easy to wait for the black-and-white freeze shots and react with the play button, hardly ever seeing that last commercial; at worst, we get the local station ID for 2 seconds. Beats the old VCR days!

Mikeguy likes this.