Tivo remote question

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jastavoss, Jun 23, 2020.

1. jastavoss

jastavoss Member

Sep 15, 2012
    I love my Tivo remote. It's built like a tank, the buttons never wear out, and it's been used thousands of times. Since there is probably no way that it can be used to control a pc, are there any good remotes that can be used for a pc? I have tried the smart phone apps, and I don't like them. There must be a pc remote that is as good as the Tivo. I would like create a Tivo-like experience with a flat screen and a pc.

2. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    You sure can use a Tivo remote with a PC. One way would be to plug in an FLIRC dongle. Then map the Tivo commands to the PC commands of your choice. Just make sure you switch the Tivo remote to IR mode.
    https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Remote-Control-Receiver-Raspberry/dp/B01NBRBWS6

Another universal remote that's similar to a Tivo remote and has MCE (PC) remote codes built in (so can be used with standard MCE dongle) is the OneForAll OARUSB04G. It has many advantages over the Tivo remote in that you can program it from PC/Linux/Mac like Harmony, learn from other remotes on any key, control 12 devices and have 12 activities.
    https://www.amazon.com/One-All-OARUSB04G-Universal-Programming/dp/B00HNIHM5S

Read the reviews that mention JP1 to get the full story on what this remote can do. Watch the linked grokshop videos as well.
    Amazon.com: Customer reviews: One For All OARUSB04G Four Device Universal Remote with Smart Control for Easy Programming

[​IMG]

Of course there are many other PC remotes, most of which are not like Tivo. One that's not programmable but slightly peanut shaped is the Ortek VRC-1100. But it does add mouse capability which is nice. You can also load the Ortek codes into the OneForAll and use the Ortek dongle to get mouse functionality.
    [​IMG]
    That's precisely what I did for several years before I got tired of it and switched to Tivo. I ran Windows Media Center on a PC about the size of a Tivo. I used a regular remote, and the experience was pretty much identical to Tivo. My 6-tuner cable card tuner let me watch and record everything, including premiums. That same PC also hosted all my streaming and my personal movie and music library. Instead of Minis I had Ceton Echoes in every other room. Worked great, and unlike Tivo, had no lifetime or subscription cost.

I still have all the pieces in my closet. If I plugged it back in, it would still work fine if I updated my guide data provider. But it wasn't as easy to maintain as Tivo. So that's the main reason I switched so many years ago.

I'm curious what's on your PC that you couldn't access some other way, leaving the PC remote control out of it.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  3. jastavoss

jastavoss Member

Sep 15, 2012
    Thanks for the info. I fast forward through a lot of TCM old movies with my Tivo remote. I wish I could do the same thing with the films on my pc hard drive and flat screen, and I hate to use a mouse or touchpad when watching movies.

4. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Then why not watch your movies on your Tivo (or some other streaming device) using Plex? No need to watch directly on your PC. That's what 99% of people who store movies on a PC do because it solves that mouse/touchpad problem with zero hardware changes.

5. jastavoss

jastavoss Member

Sep 15, 2012
    I have more than 1,000 clips(scenes) from vintage films(1920's-1960's), and that is what I would really like to watch on my flat screen, with a Tivo remote, if possible. All of these clips fit on a 1TB external drive, so I wish there was some way to work that into the Tivo system. Pytivo doesn't let you transfer folders, just clips one by one.

6. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    pyTivo Desktop has an option at the bottom of the screen to download an entire folder....

upload_2020-6-25_13-37-14.png

See the "Download All" button in the lower right.

7. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I think the issue is the OP stated their needs wrong, they want to upload folders to the Tivo from the PC, not download.

But I'd also put in a vote for Plex, it's not hard to implement and fairly simple to use, even then for the OP, when you mention skip and FF, video files don't always play well in the Tivo or Plex systems with those functions, so it may not change things.

8. jastavoss

jastavoss Member

Sep 15, 2012
    Thanks for the replies. I just started using pyTivo, and I transferred 5 mp4 files from pc to Tivo, with success. But later, when I tried to transfer an mkv file to Tivo, it said wait for the transfer. Nothing happened, and my 5 mp4 files suddenly disappeared! What happened? Where did they go?
    Also, what is the difference between pyTivo and pyTivo Desktop? I think I have both. In fact, Task Manager shows 2 pyTivo processes running at the same time!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  9. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    You're running pyTivo Desktop. The original pyTivo had to be run manually using the command line and the python runtime. pyTivo Desktop is basically the same code but packaged up into an installer with a fancier UI. The reason you see two pyTivos in your task manager is because of the way the python code is run. There is one process that extracts all the python code to a temp folder and then another one that actually runs it. Both are needed for it to function. You'll see the same two processes for pyTivo Tray, which is also written in python and packaged the same way. The Desktop portion is actually written using javascript and HTML and runs in a little embedded browser window using a technology called Electron. It too will show two processes when it's running.

10. jastavoss

jastavoss Member

Sep 15, 2012
    Thanks. Does pyTivo work with mkv files? What made the mp4 files disappear?