TiVo remote not working

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Alexis997, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Alexis997

Alexis997 New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    Berkeley, Ca

Advertisements

I need help figuring out this problem (the solution may just be to buy a new remote, but I'd like to save the $30 and not wait the few days for it to arrive... although I hope that is my worse case scenario and I don't have a problem with the TiVo box!):

First off, I should say that the dog gnawed on the end of my TiVo remote - but that was about 6 months ago - there were no ill effects, except that the TiVo button doesn't work (to get to TiVo Central, I just hit left from live tv).

Tonight the TiVo has stopped responding to my remote. When I reboot, it works fine, but then randomly it will stop. The TiVo flashes to acknowledge the signal, and the red light at the top of the remote still lights up. The buttons on the top half of the remote (live tv, guide, back, forward, etc) all make the "bonk" when pushed - the bottom half make no noise. When I unplug & replug the TiVo, all is fine again - until the next time.

I've checked the batteries, checked other remotes in the room. The only thing I haven't tried, because I can't, is the "reassigning" of the remote (pushing the TiVo button while pressing 0).

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

2. supasta

supasta Active Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
    Maybe its simply time for a new remote?

3. Awalt

Awalt New Member

Dec 1, 2006
    You can buy an inexpensive $10 universal remote at Radio Shack or other retailer. It is nowhere near as good as the Tivo remote but it should hold you over until you get a new Tivo remote.

4. ssinlk

ssinlk New Member

Feb 22, 2003
    I have the same exact problem. But, my remote is fine. I have to do a hard reset by unplugging the replugging. It happens about once a week and seems to have been happening only since the last software update. The TiVo support folks were completely unhelpful and only wanted me to send the unit back for a $150 replacement.

Anyone else having the same problem?

5. dheerema

dheerema New Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Michigan

Advertisements

Yes, I am having the same problem. It just started.

6. KrazyG

KrazyG New Member

Oct 10, 2004
    Nashua, NH
    I am having this problem right now. I guess I will have to do a hard reset. What types of information can we provide TiVo? I have the original remote with my TiVo. This is the remote that got extra sensitive to double key presses after a certain software update.