1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo Remote Input Button

Discussion in 'TiVo Suggestion Avenue' started by zztop, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Mar 6, 2018 #1 of 11
    zztop

zztop New Member

Mar 6, 2018
    Recently I purchased a new Q7F QLED TV. The input on the remote brings up the source screen on the TV but the ok or back buttons fail to remove it once used or time out requirring me to pull up the tv remote to remove screen.Has anyone seen this?If so is there something I need to do or just report to TIVO tech support and ask them to update coding to resolve this issue?

2. Mar 6, 2018 #2 of 11
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Some TV sets require an action to indicate you are done with the menu. Some, like my Sony and LG, allow multiple presses of the Input button to move the selection, then accept the selection after 5 seconds. Usually, if it's important, a universal remote is used. Good luck with TiVo's support. I had a Samsung that was like your TV. I gave it away even though I never used the input selection since it was on a Mini.

3. Mar 6, 2018 #3 of 11
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    You may be stuck, as @JoeKustra indicated, but I've seen a few sets where using the volume button dismisses the TV menu. Short of that, powering-cycling the TV is another workaround, but not one I'd want to employ on a regular basis.

4. Mar 6, 2018 #4 of 11
    mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    This is the key. It's not a bug. Arrows/ok on Tivo remotes never control the TV. If multiple presses of Input don't work for you, then you have a couple of options:

- Continue juggling remotes
    - Get a universal remote
    - Get a Slide Pro and a cheap universal to teach it the one discrete command for your desired input. This teaching remote can usually be a cable TV remote, and you can use special codes called EFCs to send any command. I can post all the Samsung discrete input codes if you end up going this route.
    - Keep your TV on a single input always, and plug all sources into an auto-switching HDMI switch. These are pretty cheap, but will require you to put each device in standby or off when not in use. This can get tricky with devices that are usually always on.
    - Give away your TV like Joe did. I'll be glad to take it off your hands ;-)

ClearToLand likes this.
  5. Mar 6, 2018 #5 of 11
    SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    My new samsung needs the input button to be pressed to advance thru the selections, when I get to the one I want it takes about 3 seconds for it to switch to that input.

JoeKustra likes this.
  6. Mar 6, 2018 #6 of 11
    Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Just acquired a Samsung over the December holidays and love this functionality (coming from an LED TV without it).

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  7. Mar 7, 2018 #7 of 11
    jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Check other remote codes, I have had different codes allow for what you are looking for.

8. Mar 7, 2018 #8 of 11
    Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Potentially, this just is a factor of how the TV input option works and can't be avoided. But, who knows if some other functioning code might be out there . . . .

9. Mar 7, 2018 #9 of 11
    mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    While it's highly unlikely you'll find 2 different Input commands that behave differently when pressed multiple times, it is very likely that you'll break repeating volume behavior with different Samsung codes. So whatever code you settle on, be sure to confirm the vol changes continuously when the button is held.

10. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    With my Samsung the switch didn't work. The TV needs to be set up to the input device. When I switched inputs the TV didn't recognize the new input and I had to go thru the set up each time I switched inputs. For example, when I was watching the Tivo and switched to the Comcast box the TV was looking for the Tivo and I had to go thru the set up for it to see the Comcast box. When I switched back to the Tivo I had to do the same thing again. I now have a 4 input switch sitting on a shelf.

11. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Good luck turning off a mini or a Roku.