Tivo remote control from bedroom

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by al210, Aug 10, 2009.

1. al210

al210 New Member

Jul 30, 2009

Advertisements

Has anyone used 1 of these rf converters to control the tivo from another room? Any suggestions, recomendations?

My tivo box is down stairs and would like to control it from my beadroom tv.
    Only about 25' of distance through the wall.

2. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    I have one, but I partially made it myself (from a UHF remote kit from an obsolete satellite system), so cannot personally recommend commercial ones.

3. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I used PowerMID to control my Tivo from another room for a while.

4. caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    Like mattack said. I use them to control my tivo in another room.

Attached Files:

5. jkalnin

jkalnin Baad Spellor

Jan 8, 2003
    Warrington, PA

Advertisements

I have a 5.8 ghz Wireless AV Sender RF-Link AVS-5811 - it works great for remote viewing. It also has remote extender capabilities, but for now I control the living room TV from my bedroom via the iPhone.

6. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Wow, looks like the prices have gone UP. But searching ebay, at least there's one guy/company selling them for $30 INCLUDING shipping. The other prices I see in a quick search end up being more than that including shipping.

7. Slider10

Slider10 TiVo Minion

Aug 5, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    If you have an iPod Touch or iPhone, you can get a TiVo remote control that works via your wireless network in your house. I forget the name of the app, but if you search the app store, you'll find it.

8. MScottC

MScottC Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2004
    MyDVR is the iPhone App that takes advantage of the network control port of newer TiVos. I use it on occasion.

9. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    In fact there are several iPhone apps.

Since that's come up, I'll mention my own software remote -- for normal computers, not iPhones, though some people have used it on Windows Mobile:

http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showpost.php?p=7054269

Needs Python, and of course you have to turn on the Network Remote function in the TiVo's menus, as with the iPhone apps. Only works Series 3/HD.

10. Adam1115

Adam1115 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    Yup. I think it's a leapfrog, works great.

11. ErliDayz

ErliDayz New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Hobe Sound, Fl
    "Next Generation Remote Control Extender" from Amazon works PERFECTLY.

I've been using it for over a year now, and so have friends and family, and absolutely love it. It's simple to set up, no programming, and it just works!

See the attachment for a page shot at Amazon. You'll love this little item.

Attached Files:

12. jweaver15

jweaver15 Member

Mar 28, 2008
    I second the Next generation remote extender comments.

I've been using it for over a year. I bought a second transmitter to use with it. My 2nd tivo is hooked up to 2 separate TVs in different rooms and both remotes can control the unit from 2 floors away.

They do sell transmitters that work on two different frequencies so if you decide to get a second transmitter for an extra remove be sure to get the right frequency for your base.

I got it from Buy.co for just over $35

13. ErliDayz

ErliDayz New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Hobe Sound, Fl
    One of the advantages is that with the plugin wires with the little "nub" of the end you can control up to 3 (and I believe on Ebay I say one with 6) units. The little nubs attach over the IR eye on the unit, the battery sections are the actual transmitters. Add transmitters to more remotes, and have more control. One good universal remote, and you've got it all covered from anywhere in a house (including patio).