1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo remote control diagnostics states Not Paired

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jwp543@, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Aug 6, 2018 #1 of 21
    jwp543@

jwp543@ New Member

Jan 18, 2016
    My new Bolt Experience 4 diagnostics:
    Latest firmware 7508.11.0
    Firmware upgrade status: Unknown
    Pairing status: Not paired
    Pairing ID: Unknown
    Remote address: 0
    Total paired remotes: 0
    I paired the remote & cleared both the remote and DVR several times (rebooting everything.) Microphone finally worked. The Bolt seems to not have any problems, everything works. I connected a Zvox hearing enabled sound bar that is not listed with codes for Tivo. It recognizes Tivo remote commands for vol-up, down, mute, and power off. This worked without a problem on the living room Bolt+ but not with this new Bolt. I had to temporarily put the remote in IR (red flash) mode and then it only recognized up down sound. If the diagnostics are right there may be a bolt dvr pairing problem. For comparison I cleared & paired my Bolt+ remote with the new Bolt 4 and it made no difference.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  2. Aug 6, 2018 #2 of 21
    scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    The Bolt and Bolt VOX are series 6 Tivos. The Hydra/VOX UI is experience 4.

3. Aug 6, 2018 #3 of 21
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    The remote's new diagnostics are not very good.

Perhaps just a simple sentence of what doesn't work would help.

dlfl likes this.
  4. Aug 9, 2018 #4 of 21
    jwp543@

jwp543@ New Member

Jan 18, 2016
    Diagnostics show Tivo not paired even though RF is working.

5. Aug 9, 2018 #5 of 21
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Diagnostics show my cable card is not paired but it's working.

The Diagnostics suck.

6. Aug 9, 2018 #6 of 21
    UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    I’m confused. Even though the Zvox doesn’t have a TiVo code it somehow works? Just by pure luck works without having to code the remote? I guess your luck ran out for the new Bolt. Furthermore, I’m pretty sure the volume, tv power, etc., buttons only transmit IR.

7. Aug 9, 2018 #7 of 21
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    The new remote & cable card diagnostics don't work well. It's a tradition.

8. jwp543@

jwp543@ New Member

Jan 18, 2016

9. jwp543@

jwp543@ New Member

Jan 18, 2016
    Zvox sound bars are able to go into remote reading mode. It reads the Tivo remote button presses for volume up down, mute, and on-off. If the Tivo remote is sending a clear IR signal the Zvox will accept the code. It was unable to understand my remote for mute and on-off. My living room Bolt+ remote worked without a problem.

10. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Or, Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    I've got a problem too. I'm having trouble pairing it and am thinking that the new remote is only for IR and not RF. I purchased the 500GB VOX and can only get it to work in IR. Holding the "Back" button and the "TiVo" button for 5 seconds, until the yellow stops flashing and goes red, doesn't seem to be working. So, I took a RF remote from my A93 mini and was able to successfully pair that one to the new Bolt.

11. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    That’s way cool. Be nice if all components could do that.

Have you tried to code the remote with some other codes that the Zvox might work better with?

12. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Note that the VOX remotes are Bluetooth and not RF but you should be able to get it paired.

Scott

13. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Or, Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    One would think... It's not like I'm unfamiliar around a TiVo. Any thoughts?

14. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    You might try clearing all pairing on the TiVo and starting fresh? I seem to recall some users having luck with this on new Mini VOX's that were having issues pairing.

Press TiVo + Red C until the activity light flashes red.
    • Now press any button and confirm that the activity light flashes red with each button press (it should no longer flash amber).
    • Press the Live TV button.
    • Press Clear, Enter, Clear, 221, Clear (this will send a signal to clear any RF pairings on the DVR).
    Note:
    • This step is a back door and should only be used to clear pairing of ALL remote controls.
    • This will put the TiVo device into new mode and it will pair the first remote control it detects, either Roamio or voice remote. If performed with a paired remote control, it will also unpair that remote control.
    • Hold down TiVo + Back on the remote until the activity light flashes amber (the remote is now ready to pair with the DVR).
    • Now press any button on the remote and confirm that the activity light flashes amber with each button press.
    • The remote is now paired in RF mode with the DVR
    https://support.tivo.com/articles/Features_Use/TiVo-Remotes-RF-Pairing-Instructions

Scott

rdrrepair likes this.
  15. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Or, Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    Thank you Scott. Works perfectly. My remote diagnostic screen shows nothing paired although the VOX remote is now paired to the Bolt. My A93 mini is now unpaired. Voice search works great too.

HerronScott likes this.
  16. Resist

Resist Active Member

Dec 21, 2003
    If the VOX remotes are Bluetooth then why isn't that an option in the settings? Can't Tivo keep their software up to date with their hardware?

17. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    The menu item and instructions after you select it only refer to pairing the remote generically on gen3. The only reference to RF is a small description sentence in the righthand pane when you have Remote Control Pairing highlighted in the menu on the left. My guess is not important enough to change on gen3 or they missed that small reference to RF (or that it doesn't really matter for the act of pairing whether it's RF or Bluetooth as the method of doing so is the same for both).

Link to VOX remote document referring to Bluetooth.

https://support.tivo.com/articles/FAQ/TiVo-VOX-Remote-FAQ

Scott

18. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Mini VOX, TE4, voice remote working. Remote Diagnostics display values:

Remote Type/Mode: IR Mode
    Remote MFG Code: 1
    Latest FW: 7508.11.0
    Pairing Status: Not Paired
    Pairing ID: Unknown
    Remote Address: 0
    Total paired remotes: 1

It's not finished.

19. Resist

Resist Active Member

Dec 21, 2003
    That's what mine shows. So what do you mean it's not finished? The remote VOX is working and the light is amber with button presses.

20. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    That diagnostics page is not "finished" from a functionality standpoint since it's not reporting the right information. It shows the mode as IR mode and the pairing status as not paired but then later reports total paired remotes as 1. This page was only added recently so apparently not fully baked.

Scott

JoeKustra likes this.