TiVo Remote Code(s) for Logitech Hub?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Seagull99, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Seagull99

Seagull99 New Member

Nov 30, 2018

Advertisements

Hello,
    Is/are there code(s) for the TiVo Remote Control to send *RF* signals to a Logitech/Harmony Smart Hub? (This is the Hub that comes with the Logitech/Harmony Elite universal remote.)

I've stepped through the TiVo Remote Control Setup list of supported TVs, hoping code(s) for the Logitech/Harmony Hub as well. None listed for either Logitech or Harmony.

Ideas? I'm trying to use the TiVo Remote to control TV sound volume via my Denon AVR. The AVR is controlled by the Logitech Hub.
    Thanks in advance,
    --The Gull

2. Dec 1, 2018 #2 of 13
    kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    You're thinking about it incorrectly.

You don't use your TiVo remote to send commands to the Harmony Hub.

You use the Harmony Hub to replace your TiVo remote.

The Denon AVR is controlled by Infrared. The Denon remote and the Harmony system can send the correct Denon codes. So can your TiVo Remote.

You seem to not be completing the TiVo Remote Setup fully.

Are you also programming the TiVo Remote for the AV Receiver portion of the setup? You'd choose Denon for that.

-KP

3. Dec 2, 2018 #3 of 13
    Seagull99

Seagull99 New Member

Nov 30, 2018
    Hi, KP,
    Thank you for your reply and observations, which I've reviewed carefully. In a nutshell, I *do* want to send volume & mute commands using the TiVo remote's Radio Frequency (RF) capability to the Logitech/Harmony Hub.

My TiVo remote is successfully programmed to signal via RF to my TiVo BOLT; and to signal via Infrared (IR) to the Denon AVR (when the wooden cabinet door is open). However, unlike the TiVo BOLT (which can receive RF signals), the Denon AVR receives only IR signals. That's where the Logitech/Harmony Hub comes in, because it can receive both IR and RF. The Logitech remote successfully sends RF to the Hub to relay volume commands to the Denon via IR.

For watching TV, I use the Logitech remote to turn on the Denon AVR and the TV. After that I want to control the TV-watching experience, including volume & mute, via the TiVo remote (which is a terrifically good remote). The missing link (can't avoid a pun) is a code to have a TiVo Remote code to signal to the Logitech/Harmony Hub.

To conclude, I appreciate the reply. However, I'm still looking for a way to have the TiVo remote signal the Logitech/Harmony Hub via RF to relay volume & mute to the Denon AVR.
    Much appreciated,
    --Gull

4. Dec 2, 2018 #4 of 13
    kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Nope.

Can't do it.

The Harmony Hub Remotes are Paired with Bluetooth and you won't be able to get the TiVo Remote to pair.

At least, I'm pretty sure. You could try to put the Harmony Hub in Pairing Mode and then the same with the TiVo Remote. Most likely won't work, but it would be interesting to know for sure.

-KP

5. Apr 2, 2019 #5 of 13
    Santini

Santini New Member

Apr 2, 2019

Advertisements

--Gull,

I know its been awhile, but I just saw your post!! I have been trying to do the same thing, its much better using the TIVO remote then the harmony. Any luck with a solution?

6. Apr 2, 2019 #6 of 13
    Seagull99

Seagull99 New Member

Nov 30, 2018
    Hi, Santini,
    Thanks for inquiring, actually. I asked for an update on the enhancement request I submitted but no joy. I'll paste the response I just received from TiVo. TiVo has no plans to support this, unfortunately. Maybe if there's two or three of us... they might reconsider.
    --Gull

Thank you for contacting TiVo Email Support.

We understand that you are trying to use your TiVo remote to control the volume and mute of your A/V receiver. As of this time, the only available codes we have is based on what is on the Remote Control Paring screen. You may want to contact the A/V receiver support to ask if they have a set of 4 digit code that would work with your TiVo remote.

For Harmony remote, we don't support this and is not trained to work on this type of remote. We would recommend that you use the TiVo remote with your TiVo. If you need further assistance, you can contact us.

The Case Number for this inquiry is 08436389. Please refer to this number if you choose to contact us again regarding this request. In order to reply to this email, please log into My Support at www.tivo.com/mysupport. Replies directly to this email will not be received.

Sincerely,

TiVo Customer Support Representative​

7. Apr 2, 2019 #7 of 13
    Edmund

Edmund Remote Czar TCF Club

Nov 8, 2002
    Des Moines. IA
    A RF remote only knows one RF frequency, when comes to TiVo remote it only knows its own RF frequency. It WILL NEVER control anything but the TiVo via RF!! But go on looking.

You're asking for something no TiVo remote ever did before, send something other then IR commands for tv power, vol up & down, and mute. Think about it?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  8. Apr 2, 2019 #8 of 13
    Seagull99

Seagull99 New Member

Nov 30, 2018
    Perhaps it is Bluetooth rather than RF. Thx.

9. Apr 3, 2019 #9 of 13
    Santini

Santini New Member

Apr 2, 2019
    I just bought a new house and had all my equipment - A/V, Tivos ect. wired for other rooms (closets and storage) This is the only hump I'm trying to solve. Next going to try the BlastIR-Link, Bi-directional IR extender over Cat5e/6Either from Sewell. Hope this solves it.

Anyway if its Bluetooth or Tivo's RF signal then Tivo should come up with a Tivo hub (like the Harmony) to control items like the Denon or s Blue-ray player. Or just incorporate in the Tivo Bolt a couple of IR out emitters to control a couple of IR units. Then you can assign each out for anything you want a learned command or a code.

Santini...

10. Seagull99

Seagull99 New Member

Nov 30, 2018
    Many thanks for the info and good luck. I have a Tivo BOLT and remote. The TiVo BOLT remote does not support "code learning" that is available on some other TiVo remotes. If it did, that would allow learning of the Denon remote's signals. Or, without that feature on the TiVo remote, have TiVo provide a code for the Denon HUB. Thanks again.

11. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Semantics. No matter what it is, the fact that it's NOT IR is the crux of the issue.

@Santini , given the Tivo remote's extremely limited universal capabilities, I think developing a Tivo RF/Bluetooth hub is very unrealistic. Many other universal remotes do this much better and cheaper already.

A more realistic solution in this case would be to use a simple repeater like this or an actual universal remote or remote app:
    https://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-All-One-Infrared/dp/B07LC7HVHW

12. Santini

Santini New Member

Apr 2, 2019
    @gull - You probably know but the Denon codes are on the Bolt. I can control the Denon with the Tivo remote just IR though, so we will see if my IR repeater through Cat5 works.

@mdavej - Thanks, But that option won't work when the equipment is in the other room 60 feet away. Also I know other universal remotes do everything I want to do, but I love the Tivo remote it is so easy to use not much brain power especially when you are in a dark theater room!! I guess I'm stubborn!!

13. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Many other cheap solutions for that, like IR over cat5 or HDMI, exactly like you said. OP just has his in a closed cabinet right next to his TV. Didn't know the 60 ft scenario was even in play here.

Bottom line, an IR repeater/extender of any sort is the solution.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019