TIVO remote code for Samsung TV

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by John McE, Jun 18, 2007.

1. John McE

John McE New Member

Dec 23, 2003
    I've just bought a new Samsung Plasma screen (model # PS50Q97HDX) and haven't been able to find a code for my TIVO remote to work the TV. I've tried all those listed in both the TIVO manual (several years old now) and all the codes listed in the TV's manual (presumably fairly up to date), but although one or two cause the remote light on the TV to flash, none of them actually operated the volume or on/off controls on the TV.

I am so used to using my peanut to operate both the TIVO and TV, that this is driving me crazy. Anyone managed to find a code that will work with this TV?

Thanks for any help.

2. Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
    The original Thomson Tivo remote IR codes data stored inside dates back to the last decade and thus a lot of new devices do not work with it.

Options
    1. Buy a Learning Remote control to work Tivo & TV
    2. Try a new Tivo remote from USA but it will have no AUX bypass button.
    3. Live with it.

Automan.

3. healeydave

healeydave from tivoland.com

Jun 4, 2003
    Midlands
    Assume you just tried the codes under Samsung?

Un-fortunately there are so many codes under the different manufacturers it would be a nightmare to go through them and I don't have any suggestions to hand but its not in-conceivable that codes under a different manufacturer might work. For example I noticed codes under in the Hifi list controled my LG tv!

Regs
    Dave.

4. John McE

John McE New Member

Dec 23, 2003
    If necessary, I'll try working through all the codes - just thought I'd see if anyone else had already discovered the code.

I do have a Universal Remote (several, in fact), but the good ol' peanut is still by far the best for everyday operation of TV & TIVO.

5. Jul 1, 2007 #5 of 46
    groovyclam

groovyclam Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Same problem here with a new Samsung LCD TV - any help appreciated

6. Jul 6, 2007 #6 of 46
    blindlemon

blindlemon tivoheaven.co.uk

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    Just received one of the new TiVo Glo remotes today, and it works fine with my UK TiVos :up:

It also glows in the dark - mmmmmm! - and has a switch to allow it to control two TiVos :)

And now for the best part.... it's a learning remote - so should have no problem learning the codes to control any TV. I don't have a Samsung LCD to try it on, but it learned the codes for the Orion portable that I use for testing in a few seconds.

There are no AUX or VCR keys, but there is a spare key in the same place as AUX ("input") that can be reprogrammed from an original peanut to work as either AUX or VCR, so not too much of a loss there :)

I will post some proper photos once I've had time to get my camera out!

7. Jul 6, 2007 #7 of 46
    katman

katman New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    East Anglia
    Very nice :)

What would be really nice is a button likethe "TV" button on a SKY remote that would allow the keypad buttons to be used for the TV until "Tivo" was pressed again.

8. Jul 6, 2007 #8 of 46
    blindlemon

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    I guess you could do that by reprogramming the numeric buttons for TiVo "2" to send your TV's numeric codes instead. Then you would just flip the DVR selector switch on the remote to swap from the TiVo to the TV :)

9. Jul 6, 2007 #9 of 46
    blindlemon

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    Photos:-
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mmmmmm! :up: :D:D

10. katman

katman New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    East Anglia
    Very nice :)

How did you order one as it says "Continental US only" :(

11. blindlemon

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    Now that would be telling :eek:

However, rumour has it they will be available in the UK shortly... ;)

12. BrianHughes

BrianHughes Regurgitated user

Jan 21, 2001
    N.Ireland
    Interesting. Perhaps you could PM me when you er ..., notice, them being available over here :D

13. cleudo

cleudo New Member

Apr 7, 2002
    Scotland
    Ditto - I'll have a couple

fiver each was it? ;-)

14. chrisd

chrisd London, England

Oct 24, 2003
    London
    You can get them from 9th tee for £35 including delivery.

15. AMc

AMc Active Member

Mar 22, 2002
    East of England
    Mmmmmm pretty!

16. blindlemon

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    Yes, and it's a bit bigger and weightier than the silver peanut too.

Takes 4x AAA batteries and has a ridged bit on the underside at the battery end so you can feel in the dark which way round you have it in your hand.

The keys only light up when the ambient light levels are low, and they make a little click as you press them too. The "Select" button is also in the centre of the rocker, which is actually better than being below it like the silver peanut.

It looks pretty expensive too - just right to go with a plasma/LCD setup, especially if your TV has a shiny black frame round the screen like my Viera does. I've been using it for a couple of days now and TBH the silver peanuts feel a bit cheap and clunky by comparison. My daughter loves it and immediately described it as "lush" :eek:

The only downside that I can see is if you use both the AUX and VCR buttons on your peanut regularly, as there is only one completely spare key ("input") that can be reprogrammed as AUX/VCR. Having said that, as I never use either, and don't use the Power key, I have reprogrammed the Input and Power keys to select AV2/AV4 on my TV so I don't have to use the TV remote to switch TiVos!

17. groovyclam

groovyclam Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Thanks for posting this - I'm off to 9th Tee

18. BrianHughes

BrianHughes Regurgitated user

Jan 21, 2001
    N.Ireland
    I'm going to get mine from tivoheaven. I'd rather deal with someone in the UK and he's a resource worth supporting in any case. :p

19. speedyrite

speedyrite New Member

May 18, 2002
    Droitwich,...
    Received mine today (was going to buy a replacement but couldn't resist going for the Glo when I saw it!) - it is indeed "Lush"...

20. Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
    I have ordered one from tivoheaven

perhaps it will come with a free Series 3 Tivo :)

Automan.