TiVo Remote at Night

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by parent723, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Feb 9, 2008 #1 of 11
    parent723

parent723 New Member

Dec 25, 2005

Advertisements

OK, this is really weird and have a hard time believing it myself. I can use the TiVo remote all DAY long without any problems. The buttons respond with one command for each "click".

Once it turns to night the stupid thing won't respond. I can push the FF button 10-15 times before it responds with ONE response. I can push the PAUSE button 10 times and it won't pause. Once it finally does pause, I have to push PLAY 8-10 more times to get it to play.

Again, NONE of this happens during the day. ANY ideas?

This seems really dumb!

2. Feb 9, 2008 #2 of 11
    okleydokley

okleydokley TiVo Vista Premium

May 15, 2002
    What time do you start drinking?

3. Feb 9, 2008 #3 of 11
    parent723

parent723 New Member

Dec 25, 2005
    LOL. I have never touched a drink in my life.....

4. Feb 9, 2008 #4 of 11
    EVizzle

EVizzle ^^MacGvyer^^

Feb 13, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    could be batteries... if you watch tv during the day (a little bit) and then at night, the batteries probably have less juice left in them. Overnight the old batteries get a little bit back, so they are ready to go during the day. Response and lags are usually associated with batteries.

5. Feb 9, 2008 #5 of 11
    kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD

Advertisements

Silly ideas only...

Your batteries are low. The S3 remote's backlight is ambient light sensitive. Thus during the day, it doesn't try to glow, and has the juice to do it's job. During the night, pressing a button also tries to light up the keypad, depriving the IR emitter of enough juice to get the job done right the first time.

The backlight eats batteries. So if you've had the remote for a few months, they could indeed be weak. (You can disable the backlight by pressing and holding Tivo + Thumbsdown)

Or theres something in your environment that is light sensitive and emits IR when it's dark. Such as a fluorescent night light.

-Ken

6. Feb 9, 2008 #6 of 11
    parent723

parent723 New Member

Dec 25, 2005
    My remote doesn't have a backlight. I wish it did, however the remote that came with my TiVo HD is almost exactly like the one with my Series 2.

I don't think it's the batteries because I actually have tried two remotes (TiVo remote and also the Logitech Harmony 880). This remote controls ALL my components. ALL the other components respond IMMEDIATELY, even at night. It's ONLY the TiVO that won't work at night.

Told you it was weird...:confused:

7. Feb 9, 2008 #7 of 11
    ajayabb

ajayabb Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Moorestown NJ
    Classic

8. Feb 9, 2008 #8 of 11
    yjr

yjr New Member

Apr 26, 2006
    This happend to me-not with a tivo but a tv.
    Do you have compact flourecent lights in the room? they emit a lot of infrared that could actually "blind" the infrared receiver.
    Hope this helps
    Jerryr

9. Feb 9, 2008 #9 of 11
    bostlaw

bostlaw Member

May 16, 2005
    Admitting the problem is the first step....;)

10. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    A neat trick I learned is that the CCD on most digital cameras can see IR and display it as white light.

If turning off any florescent lights doesn't fix the problem, turn on your digital camera and scan around the room while looking at the display and look for something lit up that isn't supposed to be.

Either that or quit drinking. ;)

11. parent723

parent723 New Member

Dec 25, 2005
    Boy, this is a rough crowd! The strongest thing I have ever had to drink is Diet Coke. Actually I did have a Barks Root Beer, does that count?

Thanks for the CCD camera trick, I will try that. I do NOT have any other light in the room.