Tivo remote and V+ remote

Discussion in 'VirginMedia TV with TiVo - UK' started by simbeav, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Mar 6, 2011 #1 of 15
    simbeav

simbeav New Member

Mar 14, 2005

Advertisements

Is it correct that the V+ remote and the Virgin Tivo use the same remote codes ?

If so, has anybody found a way to use an alternate set of codes on either of them ?

It's possible that, at least temporarily, I will have a V+ and Virgin Tivo in the same room and if they use the same codes it could lead to a few disasters.

2. Mar 7, 2011 #2 of 15
    skyshare

skyshare New Member

Mar 1, 2011
    I have had both boxes together and yes, the Virgin+ remote operates a lot of the features on TIVO and vice-versa which is really annoying when you are trying to turn one box off! I have now seperated the boxes to avoid this problem...

3. Mar 7, 2011 #3 of 15
    simbeav

simbeav New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Thanks.

On the Series 1 you could set two remotes to work on different codes - Presumably nobody has found a similar 'feature' on Virgin Tivo or V+ ?

4. Mar 7, 2011 #4 of 15
    tankstage

tankstage Member

Jan 8, 2005
    Earl...
    The box does show a remote ID in the System Info window, just as the S1 TiVo did, but I think the remote is not capable of selecting a different set of IR codes (Probably a bean counter decision).
    I want this feature as well !!

5. Mar 8, 2011 #5 of 15
    sammyh25

sammyh25 New Member

Feb 9, 2011

Advertisements

Count me in on that, a nightmare when we go to bed and try to watch V+ in the bedroom, and end up controlling TiVo in the lounge at the same time!!!

6. Mar 9, 2011 #6 of 15
    Digital Fanatic

Digital Fanatic Virgin Media Staff

Feb 16, 2011
    How do you do that? :confused:

7. sammyh25

sammyh25 New Member

Feb 9, 2011
    The TiVo scart is connected to a scart/rf convertor which pumps the tv signal around the house on the rf cabling. To make the magic eyes work when the rf cable leaves the scart/rf convertor it goes through a box which powers the magic eyes and enables the ir signals to pass over the cabling.

All the kit came from Maplin and was really easy to setup.

8. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
  9. RichardJH

RichardJH New Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Hanworth....
    Even with TV link plus you will get problems with any VM box because they all use the same ir codes.

I originally had 2 V+ boxes. one in the lounge with RF feeding to upstairs with control from upstairs by TV link plus and the second box in the bedroom.
    The TV link setup was handy if part way through watching programme you wanted to watch the rest upstairs.

Unfortunately just as sammyh25 found out every time you used the remote it operated both boxes

10. sjp

sjp Active Member

Oct 22, 2001
    London, UK
    ordered wednesday, due before 11:40 via courier - not bad for a tenner :)

11. RichardJH

RichardJH New Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Hanworth....
    What is it you have bought :confused:

12. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
  13. RichardJH

RichardJH New Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Hanworth....
  14. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    Ah. That's a shame. Things can get "complicated" when stray remote commands control a box that you're not watching. :thumbsdown:

15. sjp

sjp Active Member

Oct 22, 2001
    London, UK