TiVo Records Suggestions Over My Shows

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by ginginlala, Sep 19, 2011.

1. ginginlala

ginginlala Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Strange issue that's driving me crazy -- and, oddly, one that I can't find any discussion of online. Just happened to me again, so it's on my mind.

Basically, I'll be watching a show on one tuner. The second tuner is busy recording some TiVo Suggestion, and I have a scheduled recording up.

When the time comes around for my scheduled recording, TiVo -- this is really annoying -- tells me that my two options are to stop watching the show I'm currently watching or cancel the recording I have scheduled. It does not seem to give me the option of, you know, not recording the TiVo Suggestion. I have to stop watching what I'm watching, go to the Suggestion, cancel it, and come back.

Any idea how to prevent this from happening? I don't want to turn Suggestions off; I actually find some goodies in there. But, I mean, I'm watching MNF tonight, I have Castle slated to record at 10p, and at 9:55p it tells me I have to either cancel Castle or stop watching MNF, all because it's busy recording No Country For Old Men (which I have on BD and didn't ask for in the first place :) ).

Thoughts?

2. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Since you don't want to turn off suggestions, you should record anything you want to watch. Keeps you from accidentally dumping the buffer. It's also the easiest way.

If you don't want to do that and you're watching something live and the TiVo starts recording, pause and switch to the other tuner and see what is being recorded. If it is something you don't want or is going to cause this problem, stop the suggestion recording.

3. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    See how smart TiVo is, it knew you liked "No Country For Old Men". As suggested above, hit record of the program you are watching and TiVo will never record a suggestion and avoid recording what you are watching or a scheduled recording. This will also let you know if a scheduled recording will prevent you from completing the current show you are watching as well as make the current show you are watching available if you fall asleep or get stuck on a long phone call.

4. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    Oh yeah, that. For some reason is the background tuner is busy doing anything TiVo gives you a straight up "let me change the channel or cancel this recording" choice.

Just one more place where it doesn't give you choices when there's a conflict.

Try scheduling a new recording at a time when there are already two things scheduled. It'll only let you pick between the new recording and whatever the lower recording priority conflict is. But sometimes recording priority doesn't match real wishes; but TiVo makes it harder than it needs to be to switch things around if you want the cancel or postpone the other recording.

5. johnf@home

johnf@home New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    San Jose, CA
    Hey, at least nowadays it tells you what will record on the second tuner!

Until a recent software update that part of the UI wouldn't even admit to the existence of a second tuner. There are still several places where the original one-tuner design lingers on. I'd like TiVo to clean these up, but I'm not going to hold my breath waiting ...