1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo recording to Plex retaining close-caption or subtitles

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by MacBrian, May 10, 2017.

1. MacBrian

MacBrian Member

Feb 24, 2002
    Kansas
    What would be the best workflow to copy a TiVo recording to my PLEX server and retain the CC (or Subtitles)? No editing involved -- I don't need to cut out commercials, but I do need to preserve the ability to turn on/off CC when playing back the recording through PLEX.

Suggestions? I've searched and have missed finding an answer...that works...

2. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    kmttg will supposedly generate the .srt captions file for a download and Plex will read those.

3. MacBrian

MacBrian Member

Feb 24, 2002
    Kansas
    Thanks, that'll get me pointed in the right direction to start. :up:

4. MacBrian

MacBrian Member

Feb 24, 2002
    Kansas
    Yes, this works really well! I had to download and install ccextractor on my Mac to enable KMTTG to create the .SRT captions file. Then I used Subler to embed the captions in the M4V file before adding it to my PLEX server. The subtitles work great when playing back in a PLEX client and they seem to stay in sync better when embedded than if I give PLEX the separate .SRT file.

windracer likes this.