Tivo recording/suggesting unwanted programs

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Mountain Girl, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Mountain Girl

Mountain Girl New Member

Jul 3, 2019

Advertisements

Just got my Tivo last month, and I have way too many programs that are from channels I don't watch or like, for instance sports...never even stop on those channels. How do I get it to stop?
    Thanks,
    Mountain Girl

2. KevTech

KevTech Active Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Seattle
    Go into user preferences and turn off Tivo Suggestions.

3. Mountain Girl

Mountain Girl New Member

Jul 3, 2019
    So it's all or nothing?

4. minimeh

minimeh Vanity Phrase Here

Jun 20, 2011
    San Francisco
    You can deselect the all-sports channels and all other channels you don't watch. That would be in settings->channels.

sharkster likes this.
  5. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...

Advertisements

I found out last month that my cable company has an "Essentials" tier that kills all sports channels and their fees. But the gotcha is no other tiers can be added either.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  6. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    This is what I do. No sense in having all the channels you never watch/don't like at all, in the scroll. I wish I could do that with my cable box tvs but, unfortunately, it cannot be done.

If you want to keep 'suggestions' on (I don't care for it, but I know a lot of people do like it), just unchecking all those channels you don't like will take care of that part.

7. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Is this on the most recent user interface (often referred to TE4 or Hydra), or the earlier, long-standing UI (TE3)?

If the latter, it also can help to train your TiVo box: before deleting a show in the Suggestions list, thumb it up or down by 1-3 thumbs. After a little bit of this, the box will start learning and reflecting your preferences.

8. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    OP, go to settings my channels list and deselect all the channels you don't like along with duplicates.
    Then when in guide select A button and choose my channels.
    After doing this none of those channels will be in searches or suggestions. Suggestions you hate 3 thumbs down.

You can at any time select A again and see all channels and it will still tune to them and record if you want.