TiVo recording status on a photo frame

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by nrc, Jan 31, 2012.

1. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    It seems like the time to replace my trusty original Series 3 with a Premiere Elite may be approaching. One thing I will hate to give up is the OLED display. I like that I can tell with a glance whether an important program is recording without risking any spoilers - at least in so much as you can trust the guide data.

So I've written a Perl script that I call 'nooled'. It applies the recording status of my TiVo to a photo in a style similar to the OLED display on an S3 TiVo. I run this script from cron on my Linux box and I make the image files available on a shared drive which is available to my wireless photo frame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I haven't tried this on Windows, I'm sure it would need some changes to run there. I also haven't tried this with an actual Premiere because I don't have one yet, but I assume the data is the same as the S3.

It does require a few Perl modules and the ImageMagick "convert" command. It works for me as-is, if others are interested in using it I'd be happy to continue tinkering with it to fix any bugs, etc.

Right click the link below and save it as a file. Set it as executable and enter nooled --help for full command usage.

Update: The link below has been replaced with a new version that does run on the Windows XP box I've been testing with. That's just the VM that I had handy, I'll try Win7 when I get a chance. I tested with the Community edition of Active State Perl. Install Perl. Install the Crypt::SSLeay package through their package manager. Install ImageMagick. Save the script as nooled.pl and run it from the command line.

Update: For Windows users who don't want to mess with downloading Perl I've added a link to an exe file below. This is actually a packaged Perl executable that will extract its required files into temp space on first execution. The result is that it will be slow the first time you run it, or any time after your temp space has been cleaned out. After that it should run normally.

http://www.offcamber.net/files/nooled
    http://www.offcamber.net/files/nooled.exe

2. TiVo_Fanatic

TiVo_Fanatic Member

May 29, 2006
    Pa
    I have an Elite and & would actually very much like this... the idea that it can be output to a photo frame / display console as one might call it is a nice bonus. Me personally, I run a windows PC as I suspect many others do as well so something thats starting with XP compatable would be awesome.

Edit: I do have a Linux VPS outside of my home network if that would somehow work as well. I live in Pa and the VPS I think is somewhere in Va... I use it for my websites, Minecraft server among other things.

3. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    The box that the script runs from needs to be able to talk to your TiVo to get the Now Playing data and then save the file somewhere that your photo frame can get it.

I've just never bothered trying porting my scripts to a Windows Perl installation. I may give it a shot just as an exercise.

4. Fofer

Fofer Bo55man69

Oct 29, 2000
    That's fantastic. Kudos. I love projects like this.

You might want to post about it in the TiVo Underground sub-forum, as there's an active audience that likes to discuss this sort of thing.

You've got me thinking, I'd love to simply pull up the "currently recording" data via a webpage. Then I could turn it into a dashboard widget on my laptop. :)

5. TiVo_Fanatic

TiVo_Fanatic Member

May 29, 2006
    Pa
    Well I hope you do tinker around with it because while I don't know what the userbase is for Linux I do know that a ton of people still use Windows.

6. lesliew

lesliew New Member

Oct 11, 2003
    UK / USA
    Great idea

I think this would be perfect use for a chumby, they are cheap enough that you could dedicate it 24/7 to displaying the Tivo status, they also have wifi and can run linux.

7. TiVo_Fanatic

TiVo_Fanatic Member

May 29, 2006
    Pa
    Chumby ?

8. Fofer

Fofer Bo55man69

Oct 29, 2000
  9. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    +1 ... creative stuff like this is really cool. I don't have a photo frame but I'll probably play around with this a bit (on Linux).

10. TiVo_Fanatic

TiVo_Fanatic Member

May 29, 2006
    Pa
    Thx for that but that seems to be a bit on the bulky side if someone wanted to use it as a recording status display.

Edit: What would be an inexpensive wireles photo frame to use for this ?

Trying to see what my options are in hope of getting a windows compatable version of this.

11. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Slick.

[​IMG]

I see you've got options in there for Suggestion and Transfer titles as well, which is cool.

Now to figure out what to use it for. ;) I have the RSS feeds that show what my TiVos recorded, or the PHP for the Now Playing List .. I guess I could put a bunch of these images on a web page and have an at-a-glance status page of everything recording at once.

Attached Files:

12. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Ah, here we go:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    Thanks, I posted here since I thought it might be of more general interest, but I'll throw a link in there (at the risk of double post complaints :) ).

It would be pretty easy to thrown in an option to output a basic HTML file with an image link in it. Another possible to do.

14. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    I actually tinkered with it some tonight and got it pretty close to working. Just need to make the system calls to convert a little more resilient. Maybe tomorrow.

The Chumby unit in the Wikipedia page is an older model. A variety of devices have come out with the Chumby interface, although most of them aren't particularly small or cheap.

http://www.chumby.com/pages/chumby_devices

I don't know enough about the Chumby to suggest the best way to automate getting an image to it so I'd be interested to hear ideas.

I use a Kodak W820 photo frame which has WiFi and the ability to pull images from a shared drive. This makes it easy but it's an older model and photo frames with WiFi generally run around $100.

It would be great if people come up with new and interesting ways to get these images to useful places. If I can help out with improvements to the script I will.

15. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    Thanks, great to see it working out in the wild, particularly with a Premiere. I tried it different ways and settled on running it with titles for transfers but not suggestions but I wanted "classic TiVo S3" as the default. :)

16. TiVo_Fanatic

TiVo_Fanatic Member

May 29, 2006
    Pa
    As far as my unit goes I have an Elite, and as far as display devices go... I'll need to look in to that unless there's some sort of specific compatability issues that need to be addressed.

17. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    The link in the first post has been replaced with a new version that does run on the Windows XP box I've been testing with. That's just the VM that I had handy, I'll try Win7 when I get a chance. I tested with the Community edition of Active State Perl.

Install Perl.
    Install the Crypt::SSLeay package through their package manager.
    Install ImageMagick.
    Save the script as nooled.pl and run it from the command line.

Enjoy.

18. TiVo_Fanatic

TiVo_Fanatic Member

May 29, 2006
    Pa
    Thx NRC, you rock... now I just need some sort of output device to test with. That said... I assume what you posted with all the installs are some instructions of sorts. Would you maybe try to clean that up a bit for dummies like me ?

Right now I'm looking at that half drooling goin duhhhhhhhh...

Thx and my apologies for the bother.

Edit: I'm just lost on the whole perl thing along with tha crypt stuff whatever that is.

All I can tell if is that I'm running a Windows XP laptop.

Edit 2: Def need help now, I just clicked hte link in the original post and was hoping to see a program of sorts. Not a lot of code... so ya, I might be running a Win XP laptop but that code makes me go duhh more lol.

I'm really sorry for sounding liek a total noob but I can't be the only one who looks at that and scratches their head.

19. nyjklein

nyjklein J-E-T-S JetsJetsJets TCF Club

Aug 8, 2002
    North...
    Wow! Thanks for this script. I'm running it in Windows 7 x64 with ActivePerl. It works on all five of my TiVos including my Elite. But for some reason the third entry for my Elite is missing the circle:

[​IMG]
    nooledPic by nyjklein, on Flickr

20. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007

That is a fantastic idea!