TiVo recording programs not requested

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by ChickyPea, Jan 14, 2006.

1. ChickyPea

ChickyPea New Member

Jan 14, 2006
    TiBlackmes New Roman4

I have Dish Network. Since setting up TiVo, I am having programs being recorded that I have not programed the TiVo to do. Sometimes when watching LIVE TV, I have a box pop up requesting if I want to stay on station I am on or change to a TIVo channel to record a program, which I have not programed. When I come home in the evening I have to delete a bunch of programs. This is frustrating. Are there any suggestions to fix this? :) ChickyPea

2. funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    You need to turn off TiVo suggestions (default is on). I forget which menu but poke around and you will find it.

3. dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    You don't need to delete them. They'll take care of themselves. See "Suggestions" in the in manual.

4. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    You do if you don't want them.

Why do so many people have such a difficult time accepting the fact that many of us don't have any want/use/need for Tivo suggestions?

5. pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    No, you don't.

A TiVo suggestion will never keep a program you want from being recorded nor cause a program you've recorded to be deleted. If space is needed, TiVo suggestions are the first programs to be automatically deleted. So they will take care of themselves if you leave them alone.

Or you can opt not to auto-record suggestions.

6. dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000

You don't have to delete them because they delete themselves and don't interfere with space for scheduled recordings. Try reducing your caffeine intake ;) The OP is a newbie who doesn't understand how suggestions work. It's a good idea to understand what's going on before you decide how to proceed.

7. Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale

Why do so many people fail to read the instructions or even have a basic understanding how their Tivo works?

8. arc6th

arc6th Fair and Balanced

Jun 26, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    Because it's far easier to find an appropriate community, register, compose a post in the appropriate forum, and wait and wait and wait for a response than it is to open a book and scan the features of their new software.

I often wonder why people don't explore all the preferences/options that users can change on their software. (btw, I hate suggestions with a passion - TV my way is a list of shows I want to watch.)

Regardless, if holding a book causes 3rd degree burns, but they love their computer, they can just Google "tivo recording shows I don't want." It's very predictable what appears first on that list.

9. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    I have no problem accepting it, but it's an outstanding feature that many new users don't understand. Before I tell someone to just turn it off, I prefer to explain it and let them make their own decision.

I like to think of it as a superior alternative to channel surfing. I never turn suggestions off.

10. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    WTF?

Why do so many people have such a difficult time accepting the fact that many of us don't have any want/use/need for Tivo suggestions?

11. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas

why do so many people say things that are flat out wrong, then when corrected, continue to say they were right.

12. pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    You can opt out of recording of suggestions, or you can ignore the suggestions in your Now Playing list. It's all the same to me.

I don't have any use for the "Hot or Not" page that I can get on the TiVo through apps.tv, but I probably won't start a thread about that...

13. ChickyPea

ChickyPea New Member

Jan 14, 2006
    Well thanks everyone for "quickly" replying and showing me how to handle this situation.

Some people are more visual at learning, like me. I don't understand the tech. stuff. I am glad that others do and are kind enough to help others along. :)

14. audiocrawford

audiocrawford New Member

Oct 19, 2005
    It really does work great that way. At first I turned suggestions off, but then once I understood how it worked I saw that there was no way for it to interfere with my TiVo, and why not let it record something if it's idle?

I also use it to my advantage for sitcoms, like "Roseanne". Roseanne is literally on from 8-16 times a day in my area (Nick at Nite, Oxygen, local syndication) so an SP for it is silly for me. I just want to always have a few eps of Roseanne around to watch. So I triple-thumbs-up it, and end up picking up a few eps a day just with suggestions.

If it really bothers you, sure, don't use it. No harm there, either. But from the OP's question I'm assuming they didn't have groups turned on, which makes suggestions so much more neat and clean. You never see suggestions unless you go into the TiVo suggestions folder, and once in awhile I do find myself wandering in there (especially last month with the lack of first run programming).

It's one of those TiVo features I didn't think I'd use, but became an unexpected bonus. It's sort of the converse of the live TV buffer to me, which I use less than once a month yet thought I'd use daily.

AC

15. arc6th

arc6th Fair and Balanced

Jun 26, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    ...because it's all about control. ...because it's annoying.

When I had suggestions turned on and noticed the DVR recording something when there was nothing scheduled I found myself mightily irked. I had to stop whatever I was doing to find out what it was recording. ...then I would be irked even more to discover I interrupted my day for a suggestion.

The TiVo DVR must record my way so I can watch TV my way.

16. dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    Sounds more like control freakism from your description but fortunately, you can set it for all tastes and disorders :D

Bottom line, whether the OP wants them or not, he/she doesn't have to come home every day and delete them. Perhaps mick66 will figure that out at some point.

17. audiocrawford

audiocrawford New Member

Oct 19, 2005

As I said, everyone is...different. "Why not, it doesn't interfere with my TiVo" was simply the conclusion that I came to personally. For me there is no control issue; if my TiVo is idle, and it happens to pick something up that I hadn't told it to based on my viewing habits, I think it's a great feature for it to go and find other things I may enjoy. Initially I didn't think I would like it, but I ended up giving it a try and love it now. It keeps a neat little folder with them all in it - kept away when I don't want them, there if I by chance do. Right now my suggestions folder has about 45 programs in it, and I'd say about 10 of those I'll end up watching. I could care less what my TiVo is recording at the moment...I'm either going to watch it, or not. I'm too busy watching previously done recordings to care.

I like to be surprised by my TiVo. I keep it plenty busy with scheduled recordings so I know I don't miss anything I deem important, but TiVo suggestions is really what keeps me from ever watching live TV. When I feel that urge, now I go to suggestions, and there is always something I want to see. One can only physically watch so many hours of TV a day (even if that is 24...), so I find between my scheduled recordings and suggestions, I'm totally satisfied and I never have to watch live TV.

It's great that TiVo designed with people like yourself, who, as you describe, need TiVo to be totally and utterly predictable and nothing more, and people like myself who like the security of knowing our scheduled recordings will always be done, but with the bonus chance of getting something extra you may never know you wanted. I also find it fascinating how well TiVo does with suggestions - they are pretty darn accurate. The majority of suggestions I don't watch are only because I already have seen them pre-TiVo. After the first day or two, it hasn't given me a single suggestion that I questioned why I would have gotten it recommended to me.

I think that's the real point here - yay TiVo for giving us a choice. Choice is always better than no choice, as our differing ways of using a TiVo demonstrate with textbook efficency.

AC

18. thatoneguy

thatoneguy New Member

Oct 4, 2005
    How is he wrong?
    OP "Dang! this episode of 'Matlock' that I hate is on my NPL. I don't want to have to look at that everytime I browse the NPL. If only I could do something about that problem."

What does the OP have to do?

How does the OP eliminate the recordings that he doesn't want on his NPL w/o deleting them? Keeping a recording you don't want is just plain ridiculous if you can delete it and insisting that he doesn't have to is just plain dumb-ass stupid.

19. dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    Apparently, the same way that you are.

He can turn off suggestions. Please read the thread.

No, you're not stupid, just ignorant of your TiVo options. A quick browse of the manual will fix that.

20. pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    I can't account for the indignity of having to see Matlock in the Now Playing list, but it's there because there would otherwise be unused space, and as soon as the space is needed, Matlock is history. Automatically. With no action required on the part of the user.

You could turn off Auto-recording of Suggestions. I could remove the back seats from my car if I wanted to, but then it wouldn't be able to do some of the things that people buy cars to do. Thsat's kind of the way I feel about Suggestions.