Tivo recording Kimmel repeats

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Dante101, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Dante101

Dante101 ...in between dreams

Aug 1, 2003
    Fullerton, CA
    I have a season pass for Jimmy Kimmel, and I keep begging my Tivo not to record the repeats -- but it refuses to listen to me. Despite my SP being set to "first run only," I keep getting occasional repeats recorded as well. The info page for these shows clearly say the original air date was weeks ago, and the guide data isn't generic -- it shows the specific guests for that night's show. And no, it's not a recording from "Suggestions" either. Weird, huh?

I've deleted the SP and added it again, but still get the same results.

And it seems kinda random. For instance, it's threatening to record tonight's show, despite the info screen saying it first aired on June 22nd. Same with next Monday's show -- it says it first aired on June 23rd, but my Tivo is still stubbornly insisting on recording it.

However it's giving me a break for the remainder of next week, with no plans to record Tuesday through Friday's show (all repeats as well).

I think my Tivo is possessed. If this is a problem with "bad guide data," then it should be affecting anyone else out there with a "first run only" SP of Kimmel. Is that you? Same problem, anyone? Not a big problem, but if there is an easy fix I'd appreciate it. Doesn't seem to happen to other season passes...

2. HoustonMidtown

HoustonMidtown New Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Houston
    I get the same thing for "The Soup" at times.....new episodes only for most of the time, but then every once in a while (last night actually) I get a bunch of the same episode recorded. It doesn't mess up on any of my other season passes...

I would guess there is something wrong in the schedule behind the scenes that we can't see (since the on-screen and online schedules do show the "R" for repeat)...

EDIT: Another repeat episode of "The Soup" recording right now -- guide says it first aired 7/30/04 !! It didn't, it's last night's episode -- definitely something wrong with the guide info...

3. rahnbo

rahnbo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    Mine has been doing all the Kimmel repeats too. I moved it to a lower priority so other shows could fill the slot and still get the new Kimmel's. Now "In Plain Sight" is doing the same thing which is automatically recording every single episode despite adequate show info. I've also moved it way down the list and since it does repeat often we're still getting it recorded.

4. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    What do you mean adequate show info? USA is bad about screwing up the original air date. So even though the description is the same, my guess is the air date or episode number is different. And TiVo plays it cautious and will record it in case it really is different.

5. danjw1

danjw1 Member

Sep 13, 2005
    I have seen the same sort thing with The Daily Show, you can call Tivo tech support and tell them about the issue. They will file a trouble support, but the guide data is only as good as what the company they contract with gives them. Really this is about the information the station provides to the third party Tivo uses, so there isn't much anyone can do about it.