Tivo Recording ends before show does

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Conyerstv, Jul 21, 2007.

1. Conyerstv

Conyerstv New Member

Feb 6, 2003
    Could someone please explain why TiVo stops recording a show before is is over? I have seen one post on this site, that says the networks move starting and ending times to deter channel surfing to other channels. Is this true?

My wife says its illegal due to FCC requirements. To anyones knowledge is this true?

Thanks, We would like to find the best way to resolve this..

2. supasta

supasta Active Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
    Well, TiVo records the timeslot. If you are set to record an hour long show from 7PM to 8PM the TiVo will start recording at 7PM and stop at 8PM. The TiVo has no idea if the show runs a minute or two over and therefore cannot adjust. (This is unless the show information is updated in advance and the TiVo adjusts for it.

This is why if you have a show that consistently goes oover you may want to add padding to the planned recording/SP to accomidate for the overage.

As far as the FCC/lagality, I have no idea.

3. Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Because your Tivo's clock isn't synchronized exactly with the Network's clocks, and their clocks aren't synchronized with each other. The solution is to pad.

4. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    I agree about the clock, my Tivo is two minutes different from the cablebox.

There there is TVLand, not sure what clock their on???

5. lonewoolf47

lonewoolf47 Member

Nov 16, 2001
    Denver, CO.
    Here in Denver popular network programs start up to two minutes earlier than scheduled for some reason. Even shows like Jeopardy.

6. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    You know what happened...
    All the network bigwigs got together and agreed...

"Let's F with the DVR users!"

:D