Tivo Recording channel I "don't receive"

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by danitaz, Nov 3, 2009.

1. danitaz

danitaz New Member

Oct 15, 2005

Advertisements

I have an HD antenna attached to my Tivo so that I can get to those channels easily if the cable goes out. However, I have them specifically marked as "not received" in the channels lineup so that they will not record in lieu of the cable channels, since the TiVO always records the LOWEST numbered channel in a face-off!

Right now the Tivo is recording on one that is marked that I don't receive (and which in actually I do not get reception on except once in a blue moon). So it will be a beautiful 0byte recording when it's done :) - but it could have been recording the same channel on the cable's HD offering of the same program :(

It isn't an "important" program, but it's truly the first time I've ever seen this happen. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks.

2. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    If you just unchecked the channels that you do not receive, be aware that it may take several days for that change to effect TiVo Suggestions.

You should also verify that those channels are unchecked. Some people make the mistake of unchecking channels and then backing out of the menu. If you do that, the changes are not saved. You must click "OK" on the channel list to save the changes.

3. stevewjackson

stevewjackson Steve W. Jackson

Nov 2, 2007
    Montgomery,...
    I'd like to know the basis of this claim. I've never seen it stated before. Some programs on my unchecked channels with three-thumbs-up ratings have immediately ceased to get picked up as suggestions without any apparent delay.

4. danitaz

danitaz New Member

Oct 15, 2005
    So, they have been unchecked for as long as I can remember. I installed the antenna well over a year ago, put it in the Tivo, and immediately unchecked them all. And I checked to verify they were unchecked before I posted! So, no, there should be no chance that anything would be recorded from these channels due to timing and the like. The Tivo has never even attempted to record from the antenna channels before. So it's a quirk. Possibly one that will never happen again of course, but it is odd.

I also have all of the non-HD channels for cable unchecked if there is an HD equivalent, really for the same reason - i.e., that the Tivo will use the lower numbered channel first (which is another rant altogether!). Any time my Tivo does something that I consider "dumb" I can usually find that it was ME that programmed something unusual. This one though doesn't make any sense.

5. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX

Advertisements

It could be the Tivo is trying to record the Teleworld Paid Program it uses for the star ads and stuff that goes into Showcases.
    This program is recorded to a special place on the HDD and does not show up in the NPL or in recording history.

6. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I *absolutely* still see Season Passes try to record from channels I have unchecked on my S3 (since they went digital and my S3 is currently only receiving analog -- I left the SPs there *in case* I put cable cards in that Tivo). It's only a couple a week that show up, so I nuke them from the To Do list.

7. mcmnky

mcmnky Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Season passes are by channel, and generally the SD and HD are separate channels.

So even if you remove a channel from the channels you receive, the season passes won't automatically pick up the HD channel.

Try making new season passes using the HD channels.

(edit: I assume the issue getting SD versions of shows you want in HD. If the issue is with a channel you don't get any version of, just remove the season pass.)

8. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Umm, I clearly stated that my S3 is *only getting analog*. I know that SPs are by channel.