Tivo recording by it self

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by kingtuttoo, Feb 16, 2006.

1. kingtuttoo

kingtuttoo New Member

Jul 15, 2004
    Texas

Advertisements

I have a strange thing happening with both my Tivos, both Tivos were recording by themselves. The Info button showed both were recording the same Teleworld Paid Programming on 181 ISATE from 11:31pm to 12:01am, both are set where they do not record suggestions, when I went into the Now Playing List, they did not show to be recording anything, after 12:01 when they both stopped, nothing new was in the Now Playing List. This has happened before on one or the other but this was the first time that it has happened on both at the same time. Any Ideals on what is going on?? :confused:

2. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    Where do you suppose that Tivo gets all the video for the movie/tv previews and other advertisements that appear as yellow star items on Tivo central and in showcases? These recordings have been occurring since before you got your Tivos. The only difference is that they used to occur at about 3am (central time) on the Discovery Channel, but now occur on a few different channels and different times.

3. sweetspirit

sweetspirit TechLovin Newbie

Apr 14, 2005
    The OC
    I was watching TV when I got a message asking permission to change channels for them to send their ads at 12:30 this morning. I, too, checked my "To Do" and "Now Playing", and saw that I had nothing scheduled - that's how I knew. Personally, with paying so much for the service, I'm very unhappy with all the ads. I refuse to watch any of them - movie trailers either.

4. MaryT

MaryT Member

Dec 3, 2001
    NJ
    Those ads are keeping Tivo in business. BTW - how is a showcase an ad?

In any event, I sometimes play them & walk away so Tivo gets hits on those ads and is able to sell some more.

Your Tivo would cost a whole lot of money if they didn't sell ads WHICH YOU ARE NOT OBLIGATED TO EVEN LOOK AT.

5. RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...

Advertisements

At least TiVo gives you the option of viewing them or not.

Ask any owner of a DVD recorder with the TV Guide On Screen (TVGOS) system and see how they feel about ads that are displayed on your screen, WITHOUT YOUR PERMISSION.

6. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    Asinine.
    What advertising requires/asks permission from the viewer?

7. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Teleworld recordings won't shop up in your To Do List, but you can find them if you make a title WishList for "Teleworld." Then you can see what's coming up and, if you really don't want them, schedule a conflicting recording. A manual recording (or Season Pass) will always override a Teleworld broadcast.

No Teleworld recording = no yellow stars, Showcases, etc.

8. Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    Maybe you should just get rid of the TiVo all together if this little thing has you so stressed out.

9. RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    DVD recorders with the TVGOS will automatically boot up with the TVGOS screen first. On this screen there are empty spaces that contain nothing, or perhaps a TV Guide logo.

Several months ago, I noticed ads starting to appear in those blank spaces. Right now my Sony RDR-HX900 DVD recorder is asking me to purchase a Bowflex. Hmmm...how does it know I'm getting flabby?

That's what I mean by an ad that forces you to view it, unlike the showcases and other advertising on TiVo that gives you the option of viewing it or not.

10. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    Almost all advertising is there whether you want it or not.
    There are 5 or 6 right at the top of this page.

11. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.

I say it's a conspiracy to make us aware of what products and services are available to those who might need or want them.

Next thing you know, other people will begin trying to strike up conversations about things that interest them and might interest you too.

The VERY IDEA! :eek: