Tivo reboots after EAS test

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by nmccainjr, Nov 21, 2018.

1. nmccainjr

nmccainjr New Member

May 23, 2008
    The Tivo reboots after the EAS test?
    Has anyone having this problem after the new update?

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    No, and I have had two tests. I get one per week.

That said, this week my Roamio on TE3 did a reboot right after a service connection. First time in years.

3. nmccainjr

nmccainjr New Member

May 23, 2008
    I had four defferent test this week, and it did it everytime

4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    What model(s), and what software version?

5. Dec 7, 2018 #5 of 20
    TripleToeTexas

TripleToeTexas New Member

Dec 7, 2018
    Yes I am having this exact same problem on my Bolt+. Very irritating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Dec 8, 2018 #6 of 20
    dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Different cable systems have different types of EAS tests, and different TiVo models respond differently.

7. Peter Flavell

Peter Flavell New Member

Nov 27, 2018
    Yep happening to me - Roamio Plus

8. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    No. Three tests on Roamio running TE3. I get weekly, monthly and yearly.

9. trip1eX

trip1eX Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2005
    I get a reboot every week at least. Maybe it has something to do with this. But I think I would have noticed the EAS tests.

10. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    They are very hard to ignore if your TV is on. If you are watching a recording, the EAS test will kick you out. I would keep a log of the restarts. Maybe a pattern will show up. If you have a Mini it will grab a tuner for the test.

I reboot everything on the last day of the month.

11. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Sounds like it would be worthwhile to include box model number, software version and TV source when reporting this issue.

12. KOSOCOCO2

KOSOCOCO2 New Member

Jun 21, 2005
    Yes, and it is getting really bad and annoying. Tivo Bolt+ with Hydra. Just had 6 in a row of the same alert for something 75 miles away and rebooted after every one of them. Took 30 minutes and lost my recordings for that time period.

13. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Have you opened a case with TiVo yet?

Scott

14. pkeegan

pkeegan New Member

Aug 8, 2003
    My Roamio rebooted after every EAS test today, which occurred every 10 min during the 4 hour test window. I'm running TE4 (21.8.3.RC4). I called TiVo support, did the mandatory (and useless) unplugging of all cables and cable card to no effect. The agent was on the phone with me for 2 of the EAS tests and TiVo reboots. Their diagnosis was that it's a 'software problem' and the Roamio would have to be replaced. Since it's out of warranty, it would cost $149 for a replacement and $199 for a new service subscription. I declined the replacement and asked why they couldn't fix the software problem at their end with an update, but I did not get a sensible response. BTW, the reboots stopped when the EAS tests stopped.

I've had TiVos since the Series2, but this may be my last. The cost is too high, and I may have to live with an all streaming solution next.

15. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    So many issues with TE4/Hydra, I just cannot count.

16. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Not a great answer, but you could go back to TE3 which doesn't have this issue. :(

I wouldn't replace the Roamio since more than likely the replacement would have the same issue since it does appear to be software after the last update with TE4.

Scott

krkaufman likes this.
  17. pkeegan

pkeegan New Member

Aug 8, 2003
    I will definitely not replace the Roamio because of this problem. The replacement would probably be a refurbished unit with its own issues. I doubt I'll go back to TE3, unless things get worse. Last year, I posted my problem of failure to upgrade to TE4 (see TE4 upgrade fails). TiVo's solution to that problem was the same as this one - replace the Roamio at my expense. A month later, the upgrade succeeded on its own. In both cases, I believe replacing the hardware would only have benefited TiVo, not me.

18. lucidrenegade

lucidrenegade New Member

Aug 20, 2013
    I had this same thing happen to me last night. Had the EAS alert pop up about local flooding, and then my Tivo rebooted. Roamio Pro with Hydra using Spectrum Cable Card & TA

19. bdspilot

bdspilot Member

Dec 10, 2010
    I had this happen the first time 3days ago. Rebooted 3times happened again today rebooted twice. Bolt plus hydra on Cox cable. WTF

20. pshivers

pshivers Retired!

Nov 4, 2013
    Alhambra, CA
    I'm having the same problem with my Roamio for quite awhile now. Been having a lot of EAS alerts here in Sunny Southern California the past few weeks with all the rain storms.

The other day it seemed like the EAS was in a loop of some kind. Exact same message 4 times in a row about every ten minutes resulting the Roamio rebooting after the end of each EAS message. Got a a 5th EAS message with some updated information and no reboot.... ???

This is almost as bad as having DirecTV go out whenever it rained...

I finally got tired of it for the day and switched to my OTA antenna and watched TV the old fashioned way, enjoying superior image quality, no reboots (Just using the HDTV), but no recording either...

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019 at 1:37 PM