Tivo rebooting after power down

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by TonyW, Dec 30, 2006.

1. TonyW

TonyW New Member

Mar 26, 2001
    London

Advertisements

My trusty Tivo (not modified except larger drive) was frequently rebooting last night after I had to power it down for a while for some DIY jobs. Has settled down today, no reboots that I know of, certainly not for a couple of hours which is a lot better than it managed last night. Have never had it do this to me before that I know of, at least not when I've been watching or recording.

So, does this mean a power supply unit problem? I see they're readily available, is it time to get under the bonnet and replace or could there be some other explanation?

Thanks
    Tony

2. dvdfever

dvdfever Member

Jun 2, 2002
    My town
    While I haven't had this happen to me, I've had an 'audio pop' problem since I changed the hard drive to a large one so I've got a PSU on order which I'm hoping will solve the problem (I know it's on its way, I'm just waiting for Mr Postman to deliver it), since it seems they're only good for a few years and the one I've got has been running constantly for just over five years now so I'm wondering, going off past threads and a google here and there, if the bigger hard drive is putting a strain on the old PSU?

I've previously replaced PSUs in my main PC (after it showed the obvious sign of no longer wanting to switch on and stay on, after it failed overnight, one Friday 13th!) and in my Mum's PC (which was less obvious as it the boot-up screens just went - what I can only describe without the swear filter kicking in as - 'doolally' on alternate reboots, and a mate suggested it could be the PSU) so they can certainly exhibit some weird things when they're faulty.

Reboots would be a pain, though. I understand it carries on recording, which is a plus, but if I was archiving to DVD and it did it then I would be sorely p'd off.

3. TonyW

TonyW New Member

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Thanks dvdfever. With recordings, you get a gap of a minute or so if it reboots during a recording so not the end of the world. But I was trying to watch a film and it kept cutting out, which was annoying. (Well, more worrying than annoying in case it meant some serious failure, but still running OK today)

My Tivo has also been running continuously for a few years (blimey, 6 now) with larger hard drives for half that time. Think I'll order a new psu.