Tivo Rant

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by klyde, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Jun 4, 2011 #1 of 22
    klyde

klyde Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Alabama,...
    I have had at least 2 Tivos for at least 15 years or the first year they were available. I only use them for OTA. This year I made the mistake of upgrading one of my HD Tivos to Premier, one had $6 per month multi service discount and one I was paying a yearly fee. I downloaded a coupon to upgrade my new premier to lifetime for $299.

I transfered the yearly fee to the new Premier and applied the coupon but it would not happen until the existing 1 year contract expired. So it just showed up in my account as pending upgrade to lifetime for $299 on my tivo page.I called to ask about selling the other with the $6 monthly fee intact. Six or 7 calls later, all with different reasons why I could or could not do it I finally got it done. I also added an extended warentee to the premier. Ever since then I logged in every week or so to make sure the $299 upgrade was still showing on my account as going through when my yearly fee was up.

Well today I get a bill on my CC for $399, so angry as I was I called Tivo billing and after 10 minuets waiting on hold I got someone and I explained I was pi$$ed and wanted a supervisor, he persuaded me to explain why which I did and then I was told that upgrade was a multi service upgrade price and I was not now elegable even though I applied it while I had 2 on my account.

After arguing for 10 more minuets (the guy did his best to hold his temper) I explained if that was true the coupon should have said it and they should have changed my page to reflect it and all the times I called while transferring my 2nd tivo and specifically asked if it would affect my lifetime coupon I was told no every time, so asked again for a supervisor. He went away and after 10 more minuets or so, when he returned he said they agreed to refund the $100 difference.

Then he asked if I had any other complaints, for which I responded when will they fix the lockup problems with the premier, He said soon I hope, I wish I could fix it. (tells me they know about it). I also told him that every tech gives you a different answer when you have a problem like my attempt to transfer the one with the $6 plan. One said I could not do it, another said no problem a 3rd said only to someone that already has a plan or someone in my family or someone in my zip code, and after I sold it another let me do it to someone in a different state. I also told him that service has gone from good when I first bought a tivo to almost non existent they need to improve for existing loyal customers.
    Now I'm watching my CC for the next month to see if I get the $100 back.
    End of Rant, thanks for listening.

2. Jun 4, 2011 #2 of 22
    davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    Which is it? I'm guessing the latter... ;)

Sounds like it's all taken care of. :up:

3. Jun 4, 2011 #3 of 22
    exegesis48

exegesis48 Member

Jan 13, 2007
    TiVo has only been around for around 12 years.

And I agree getting different answers can be frustrating, but I think it just shows the flexibility TiVo provides their representatives. The initial reps you spoke with were in fact telling you tivo's policies, while the later reps were willing to work with you as a loyal customer.

And it sounds like you got everything settled in the end. Glad to hear it all worked out.

4. Jun 4, 2011 #4 of 22
    klyde

klyde Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Alabama,...
    First year, I just assumed around 15 years.

5. Jun 4, 2011 #5 of 22
    shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    I think once the MSD $299 lifetime service is applied to the first yearly rate Tivo the second Tivo is not eligible for the $6.95/month MSD service rate. You have to have at least one full price service Tivo on your account and it has to connect at least once every 180 days.

I doubt Tivo will honor the $6.95/Month MSD rate on the second Tivo.

6. Jun 4, 2011 #6 of 22
    klyde

klyde Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Alabama,...
    I sold it to a guy that has a full price tivo and now have it in writing which he has that they have to honor it.

7. Jun 4, 2011 #7 of 22
    scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    You lost credibility right there when you started making up numbers.

8. Jun 4, 2011 #8 of 22
    dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    It's pretty rare to find a company whose customer reps can give you a consistent accurate story on anything but the simplest most obvious questions. TiVo and my cable co. (TWC) are no exceptions.

I'm curious, how did anyone "use OTA" on any TiVo prior to the S3?

9. Jun 4, 2011 #9 of 22
    Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    All TiVos except some DirecTV and possibly other proprietary versions have had OTA tuners. If you mean how do you use a TiVo without an ATSC tuner after the analog shutdown for OTA, I don't think anybody is. I used my Philips Series 1 with NTSC OTA tuner.

10. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    I receive three low powered analog NTSC OTA channels, but only one of them has guide information. Two of them show religious programming and the other ,Telemnundo, is all Spanish. I recorded the movie Exodus off the one religious channel with guide data. The picture and sound quality were not very good, but there were no commercials.

11. klyde

klyde Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Alabama,...
    I live on a mountain bluff across the river from Scottsboro Al. I can receive all the Huntsville OTA channels in HD with 90+ SS with a Channel master CM4228 antenna. When I lived in Brantly Al which was 50 miles from Montgomery Al. I was on a hill and put up a 50ft tower and could receive all the Montgomery Stations in SD until they went HD at 70+ SS I also had a rotor and could pick up stations as far as Panama city Fla 100+ miles but not all the time. Every tivo I had had a SD tuner until the HD Tivo which had HD digital tuners. I never lived anywhere where I could get cable. I also have Direct TV and have a tuner adapter to get OTA HD, but many times I need 4 tuners to record 3 networks and 1 Direct TV channel at the same time. Until I got DTV and the OTA tuner I used 2 Tivos for just OTA.

12. lafos

lafos Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD
    If you are thinking ATSC, then others answered you. Only the S2DT TiVo could not be used with an antenna back when OTA was analog. Any of the others could be used either with cable or antenna, just not both.

13. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Yeah, I had an S2DT and my recollection was it couldn't tune antenna signals (and this was before the digital switchover). I hadn't realized the previous models could tune OTA, thanks.

14. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Tivo has a long history of customer service frustration and misinformation. Add in the constant changing of the subscription pricing and no wonder many of us are confused and upset.

Tivo should have never released the Premiere before it was ready. I'm sick of companies releasing new versions of products, when they haven't addressed issues in the previous versions. As a consumer, I for one am tired of being a beta tester for unfinished products.

15. lafos

lafos Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Interesting article in Consumer Reports about customer service frustrations for consumers. Off-shore language barriers, convoluted automated systems, hold times of 20 minutes or more.

My experience with TiVo customer service is much better than that. The CSRs must ave leeway in dealing with customer issues, so some get sweet deals, like the $99 lifetime stretched beyond the intention. Maybe it's the leeway that gives some the feeling of inconsistency. I know some companies that are very rigid in their customer dealings. I don't like them for their lack of flexibility.

16. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    (Not a Smeek, but more detail)

Well, the Series 3 was launched fall 2006. Then, analog was still around, and all Series 1 and Series 2 Standalone models had analog antenna/cable tuners.

The Series 2 DT, launched Spring 2006, was made to comply with an upcoming FCC rule regarding tuners, in that anything that could tune OTA at all, had to be able to tune digital OTA. TiVo skirted around that by making its tuner cable only.

Some time after DTA converters (through the coupon program) came to be, TiVo released an update for OTA capable Series 2s, which allowed them to use most DTA boxes as a source. Series 1s were left out, because software development for that platform was closed.

17. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    A Series 1 should work fine with a DTA. The IR database on them still gets all of the updates that later models receive.

18. klyde

klyde Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Alabama,...
    yes I agree

19. jamesacastro

jamesacastro New Member

Feb 8, 2006
    Shouldn't you have said "You lost all credibility with me"?

Was he supposed to pull out his receipts and get an exact date? The guy wrote this as a rant. Rants are notoriously a little off due to anger.

I'm just saying!!!

20. pbcanney

pbcanney New Member

Mar 31, 2011
    I always thought minuets were kinda sissy