TiVo randomly disconnects from network - constantly.

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by shimmen, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Oct 2, 2006 #1 of 13
    shimmen

shimmen New Member

Nov 2, 2004

Advertisements

Netgear WGR614 v5 router
    Netgear WG111 USB adapter

I can't transfer any recordings to my desktop, and haven't been able to do this excelpt by "luck" for the last few months.

A program recorded on TiVo on "Best" quality that lasted about 2.5 hours will take about 5 hours on average to transfer to my computer. On average, after about an hour and a half of transfer time, the TiVo box will disconnect itself - the transfer then stalls and ultimately quits - and the TiVo desktop has no "resume" feature, so this means I have to start over.

The only way I've found to reconnect is to either unplug-countto10-replug the USB wireless adapter, then restart Tivo Desktop, or restart the TiVo box and follow up with the same.

I've tried changing sightlines, I've tried both giving the adapter on the TiVo an assigned IP on the network as well as letting it auto assign. I've updated all the software and firmware I can find.

It seems to disconnect only when I'm trying to transfer information from the box to my computer, and it does succeed maybe one in 15 tries on average. Other TiVo network settings are just fine - unless it's been disconnected by a transfer attempt, it uses the network to update itself without incident.

Am I the only one out here experiencing this?

2. Oct 2, 2006 #2 of 13
    rage777

rage777 Member

Aug 19, 2006
    No. Get a new network adapter, preferably a Tivo one.

3. Oct 2, 2006 #3 of 13
    shimmen

shimmen New Member

Nov 2, 2004
    anyone have suggestions beyond, "spend more money"?

4. Oct 2, 2006 #4 of 13
    alansplace

alansplace ------ Alan ------

Apr 30, 2006
    Southern...
    your model of wireless adapter has a very problematic history with TiVo. quoting from TiVo's support knowledge base concerning the specific wg111's that will work:

NETGEAR WG111, WG111NA, or WG111RVNA Only adapters starting with serial numbers WG72 or 130. TiVo Software Version 7.1 or later required.

i'd say that, considering your problems, a different adapter is probably your best bet.
    --
    Alan :D

5. Oct 2, 2006 #5 of 13
    wakkanne

wakkanne New Member

Oct 2, 2006

Advertisements

I had a similar problem where the Tivo would warn me that it had only X days of programming left and that's when I discovered that it was disconnecting from the network. I'd unplug the USB adapter and plug it back in after a minute or two and it would work fine... for a few days and then it would disconnect again and I'd be low on programming. This happened a couple of times always with the same result. Finally, I tried plugging the USB adapter into the other USB port on the back of the Tivo and haven't had a problem since.

6. Oct 2, 2006 #6 of 13
    shimmen

shimmen New Member

Nov 2, 2004
    I'll try the second remedy first - much obliged for the info.

alan - makes sense, I guess I'm disappointed since when I bought this adapter originally, it was one that was recommended by TiVo at the time.

7. Oct 2, 2006 #7 of 13
    alansplace

alansplace ------ Alan ------

Apr 30, 2006
    Southern...
    i'm rooting for the 'bad' usb port solution. that sounded real good!
    --
    Alan :D

8. Oct 3, 2006 #8 of 13
    Double Tap

Double Tap New Member

Oct 3, 2006
    Shimmen, I too have been having the same problems as you, which has brought me here. I have a TiVo series 2 and have the TiVo wireless adapter. It takes me forever to transfer my Colts games to my computer, sometimes as long as 6 or 7 hours for a 3 hour game. I get the same disconnect from the network as you after several hours. It is aggrevatiing. I was wondering if the USB thing worked for you or if anyone else had any other ideas? Thanks.

9. Oct 3, 2006 #9 of 13
    ayches

ayches New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    My problem is similar too only thing my TIVO USB adapter is causing my tivo to totally reboot. I didn't notice the problem till almost near the end of my warranty, but they have been giving me grief. They are telling me that I have to buy one more from the store, to prove that it is the adapter, before replacing the tivo.

Really a pita

10. shimmen

shimmen New Member

Nov 2, 2004
    I think I got the bad corporate mojo..

since posting this, I've had nothing but problems, and now the TiVo itself responds at a snails pace..
    I think it's time to get a video capture card and call it a day.
    (switching the usb port had no noticeable affect for those keeping score)

11. benotrak

benotrak New Member

Dec 1, 2005
    Chi-town
    I am experiencing the same thing with the D-Link DWL-G122

12. Mlwinnig

Mlwinnig New Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Help!

My Series 3 uses an Ethernet cable to connect to a Linksys router, which in turn connects via Ethernet cable to a Netgear router. When I unplug and replug the S3, it starts pulling down Internet programs. After a few days it stops doing so.

S3 gets program data daily, but only the hard-boot fixes this problem (for a while).

Ideas anyone?

13. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Go read the wikipedia article on "capacitor plague" and then go to badcaps.net and read some more to learn how to look for capacitor disease.

Then when you open the TiVo up to take the drive out and hook it to a computer to run the manufacturer's diagnostic software long test on it, you can inspect the power supply capacitors as well for any signs of even the slightest bulging or leakage.

Flaky, marginal power supplies can cause all sorts of strange symptoms, but let's rule out both the power supply and the drive. If it turns out there's nothing wrong with either, think of it as preventative maintainence.

Of course, you could always take the opportunity for a size increase with a new hard drive while you're at it. Best Buy has a 1TB Seagate on sale this week, whereas most everybody else is jacking up their prices considerably because of the huge interruption of the supply chain caused by the Thailand flooding.

Oh, and give your TiVo a fixed IP address.