Tivo- quo vadis?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by chandler1818, Jul 27, 2007.

1. chandler1818

chandler1818 Member

Sep 8, 2004

Advertisements

Where next for tivo now that new tivohd is launched and they are finishing up comcast and cox software? what are the new big service features or products coming down the pike over the next couple of months?

2. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    They need to get TiVo desktop working on Vista. They need to catch the Tivo HD up to the S3 os level and also add M-card support to the S3. They need to get MRV/TTG running on the S3 codebase. That will keep them busy for a while.

oh yah, they also need to offer a lifetime transfer on the TiVo HD. If that stuff rolls out in the last half of this year Iwill be a happy camper personally.

3. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    Getting back in bed with DirecTV would be a good thing, lots of new HD coming.

phox

4. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    They need to get the TCD653080 box launched.

5. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas

Advertisements

If Directv does not want to get back in bed with Tivo then that's cool. The FCC should just require DTV (and Dish) to use cable cards. That way the S3 and TivoHD would be able to record satellite and then everyone would be happy.

Then If I wanted to use TWC, DTV, or Dish... it would not matter.... I just get new cable cards and I'm back in business.

6. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    if only they had passed a law in 1996 about that, we would have it now ;)

7. Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    oh yah, don't hold your breath waiting for the lifetime transfer offer Zeo. TiVo stopped offering lifetime quite a while ago so they'd stop losing money on it. I really doubt they'll continue to keep offering to transfer it to another box for free or offering to transfer it to another box for $200. If you want an HD TiVo and you get your wife's permission to buy one just go buy one.

8. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    They could do it now, but it wouldn't be until the middle of the next decade until something is worked out, or at best "universal" satellite receivers out there by then.

9. CharlesH

CharlesH Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Sacramento...
    Let's not forget finding a solution to the SDV (Switched Digital Video) debacle.

10. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    That is a bigger nut to crack and not entirely in TiVo's hands to work out. I suspect the higher ups are trying to get some kind of agreement with cable companies and/or FCC but there is nothing the designers and developers can be working on for now most likely :(

11. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Or why not force Tivo and the Cable Companies to use Sat Access Cards like us Sat users have had for Years. :D

12. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    I would imagine it would be easier to have the Sat Co's follow a law that they never should have been exempt from in the first place.

Whatever the case... it should be standardized and the cable and Sat Co's should be hit with hefty fines for non-compliance. It's time for the FCC to stop jerking around and move forward on the issue.

13. Ishma

Ishma New Member

Sep 8, 2006
    I don't see a transfer offer until next year at the earliest. Why would they do it before the busiest selling season?

Unless it doesn't sell...

14. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    How about a DT S3? I also wished Tivo would use a better codec that gives better quality at minimum disc space.