Tivo putting junk channles into my Guide

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by seaninde, Nov 2, 2019.

1. Nov 2, 2019 #1 of 83
    seaninde

seaninde Member

Sep 23, 2019
    Last night all of a sudden I have all these junk channels showing up in my guide that have no channel numbers. They appear like every 10 channels or so. Like adverts for free streaming channels. I can find no way to get rid of them. Tivo has the nerve to put all this junk in my guide. One reason I bought Tivo is so I could put only the channels in my guide I watch and turn off the rest. Now they add all this junk in there (including Tivo+). Anyone know how to get rid of them?

xanthome likes this.
  2. Nov 2, 2019 #2 of 83
    V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Welcome to the new Bad_Rovi business model - buy a TiVo and get unwanted commercials at no extra charge. You are supposed to just shut up, bend over, and enjoy it. They do not care that you do not like it, and they do not want to hear about it.

xanthome likes this.
  3. Nov 2, 2019 #3 of 83
    schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    You can downgrade to TE3.

4. Nov 2, 2019 #4 of 83
    seaninde

seaninde Member

Sep 23, 2019
    They aren't commercials that play but channel adverts that appear every 10 or so channels, this just started.

Noelmel likes this.
  5. Nov 2, 2019 #5 of 83
    schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    We know, it's been talked about. They won't remove it.

Noelmel likes this.
  6. Nov 2, 2019 #6 of 83
    Idol

Idol New Member

Sep 23, 2010
    KS
    It's part of the new TiVo Plus roll out. Selecting any of the junk channels takes you to the TiVo Plus App. I hate it too and want it off my channel guide. If we can't remove TiVo Plus, we should at least get the option to remove the junk from the guide.

jmccorm and Noelmel like this.
  7. Nov 3, 2019 #7 of 83
    V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    You call it whatever you want. In MY book, ANY unwanted advertisement that is inserted in a video device is a commercial, and they are ALL unwanted. They are also the sign if a very slimy company when they take your money first, then laugh at you while stuffing this crap in your face.

Bigg likes this.
  8. Nov 3, 2019 #8 of 83
    TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    They aren’t advertisements. They are the channels themselves. They are streaming channels with no guide data but they are channels. What you have are unwanted channels in your guide. No different than not being able to remove HBO or ESPN. They are still annoying and unwanted but they aren’t ads.

Noelmel likes this.
  9. Nov 3, 2019 #9 of 83
    seaninde

seaninde Member

Sep 23, 2019
    Yes but I can turn off any other types of channels including HBO or ESPN so they don't show in the guide.

xanthome, ElJay and Noelmel like this.
  10. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    In my humble opinion, the persistent inserted lines are ads for the TiVo+ channel.

xanthome, Bigg, Palumbo and 5 others like this.
  11. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I just used my Mini VOX. Those in-guide ads are really bad. I checked my account. This is new:
    Privacy status Beta
    Limit Ad Tracking No
    Reset Ad ID

I've had that Beta for a few months.

Noelmel likes this.
  12. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    That’s why I said it’s like if you couldn’t turn off HBO or ESPN. They are abhorrent but they aren’t ads.

13. dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Their purpose is to encourage your purchase of the streaming channel because of content you see in the guide listing for the channel you do not otherwise subscribe to. That, by definition, is advertising, isn't it?

It's like trailers at movies; we may refer to them as "trailers" instead of the more general "advertising" but they are still advertising. The little interstitial about the concession stand at the movie theater, even if it's combined with a shut-up-and-turn-off-your-cell-phone-too message? Advertising. The logo for the movie theater you're in that plays before everything else? Advertising (maybe for the stupid people who may not remember which theater they're at, but still). That stupid logo on your TV screen showing the channel you're tuned to? Still advertising. That music video that gets played during the wait time at a theater? Advertising.

Sometimes we enjoy/or even want advertising. Sometimes we don't. But it's still advertising.

slowbiscuit, fcfc2 and V7Goose like this.
  14. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    These are ads far as I’m concerned
    I stopped using the guide and I’m now using the left arrow / up arrow to see what’s playing.
    TiVo+ looks like garbage. Roku handles this model much better with their Roku channel

I understand that TiVo wants to join the ad supported streaming model bandwagon, but this is not the way to do it (by putting it on paid subscribers TiVo, with no option to turn it off)

HeatherA, fcfc2 and Noelmel like this.
  15. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    No. They aren’t selling anything. You don’t buy the channels. They are free to watch. They are channels in a guide. Period. They are streaming rather than OTA or QAM but they are no different otherwise than any other channel in your system. They are linear streams. Technically, a QAM channel or OTA channel is a linear stream. The difference here is that you cannot remove them from the guide.

Noelmel likes this.
  16. dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Those channels are ad-supported. Advertising them to encourage viewers is how TiVo will make money on them. They're not being altruistic providing information on channels you can get; if that were the case, like every single other channel you can get, you could hide it from a view of the guide. It's advertising. You may like seeing such advertising in your guide, but not everyone will appreciate it.

Further, every TiVo subscriber pays to see that guide data. So we're being forced to see advertising within data we actually pay for, with no real option. Are we saving money by seeing it? I know it won't save me any money since I've paid for unit-lifetime access to this paid guide data, but those who pay monthly -- are they getting a discount by being able to opt-in (forced or otherwise) to seeing these advertisements?

ElJay, slowbiscuit, V7Goose and 2 others like this.
  17. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    What is the reason that you have to agree to TiVo plus terms before you can enter TiVo plus in these channels? (I will not agree to these terms)

V7Goose likes this.
  18. lman

lman Member

Nov 14, 2006
    The bigger difference is that you can't skip the commercials/advertisements on these unwanted channels. Obviously there is some financial gain for TIVO to entice the viewer to watch these advertisements. So TIVO is advertising these unwanted TIVO+ channels to force the viewer to watch advertisements

V7Goose, Noelmel and Tony_T like this.
  19. Narkul

Narkul Active Member

Nov 7, 2004
    This is undoubtedly a test bed for advertising in the guide. TiVo is definitely getting something out of this judging by the way Tivo plus is plastered all over the UI. The guides function is to tell you what is on and at what time, not what streaming channels are available. Expect the real estate for the channel list to shrink even more down the road.

V7Goose and Noelmel like this.
  20. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    It is not advertising. Jeez. Yes. They are forcing their channels into your guide but they are not advertising. Saying they are as supported does not make them advertising. Why do people not use words as they are defined?

I hate them. They are obnoxious and go against what TiVo has stood for in terms of your choices but using the wrong terms doesn’t help. When you make a case against them with TiVo, they will turn you off if you call them ads.

Noelmel likes this.