Tivo pushing advertisements?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by dkwong, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Sep 4, 2007 #1 of 22
    dkwong

dkwong New Member

Aug 27, 2007
    Union City, CA

Advertisements

Is anyone else getting ads pushed to their Tivo box? I finished watching a show last night and the page where it normally allows you to keep or delete the recording now had a third option. The new option said something along the lines of "Want to see something sweet?" and when I clicked on it, it took me to an ad for Splenda! Is this something new or has Tivo been doing this for a while (this is my first Tivo box and I've only had it for a week)? I don't appreciate getting ads pushed for a service that I'm paying for.

2. Sep 4, 2007 #2 of 22
    MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    Been doing it for I want to say 6 months now?

The thing is, it's added to the BOTTOM of that page, and when that comes up, if you have memorized the order of them already and know how to get to delete without looking, this doesn't change.

I'd rather have them do this than raise any rates.

Very easy to ignore

3. Sep 4, 2007 #3 of 22
    dkwong

dkwong New Member

Aug 27, 2007
    Union City, CA
    Is this being pushed out to all Tivo units or only to certain customers?

4. Sep 4, 2007 #4 of 22
    randymac88

randymac88 Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Tivo has actually been pushing out ads since the beginning, starting with the TiVo Central. Advertisers can purchase a "showcase" which is, in a way, a microsite that is linked to via a link in the Tivo Central. Also, advertisers can "tag" their spots so that users can hit the Thumbs Up button and be taken into a area where they can receive further information, watch videos, and/or order follow-up information via email/snailmail. A few other options exist as well.

5. Sep 4, 2007 #5 of 22
    RoyK

RoyK New Member

Oct 22, 2004
    SW VA

Advertisements

:(
    Yes, this crap is being pushed to all of us.

6. Sep 4, 2007 #6 of 22
    CharlesH

CharlesH Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Sacramento...
    TiVo is walking a tightrope between users who do not want to see ads, and getting critically needed revenue from advertisers. Their philosophy seems to be to get advertisers to create ads that (at least some) people actually want to see, and to make them available to those people, without getting into the face of those who don't want to see them. There are those who feel that any hint that advertising exists, no matter how unobtrusively, on their TiVo is inherently evil. But I don't think that describes the majority of TiVo customers. They may actually WANT to see an extended ad for a product they are considering purchasing. There are those of us who skip over the bashing bodies part of the Super Bowl to check out the commercials. As long as the ads don't interfere with the usage of my TiVo, a few extra lines in some menu, or a popup during an ad that goes away when the ad is over, don't bother me at all.

7. Sep 4, 2007 #7 of 22
    gwsat

gwsat Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Oklahoma City
    If TiVo were truly fair in how they handled their ads they would give us the option of deleting them, just as we can now delete Messages. But they won’t do that. Shame on TiVo!

8. Sep 4, 2007 #8 of 22
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I'm not sure I understand the animosity. If they were banner ads during playback, or a screen one has to click thru or acknowledge to get to your desired screen, I could see (and share) the pain.

But this is simply an additional choice on a screen you always see (the "Delete?" screen). And it's not even the default choice. So who cares? :confused:

9. Sep 4, 2007 #9 of 22
    randymac88

randymac88 Member

Feb 29, 2004
    As a person who works in the business of buying digital media and interactive television advertising for a major television network (and quite frankly sits squarely in Tivo's advertiser target), I will say that a) they don't seem to market their advertising capabilities aggressively to agencies and advertisers (not sure they have a very big sales staff...I've only met one, and it was years ago), and b) tend to be expensive as compared to other forms of interactive advertising.

As a result, they tend to attract only those marketers that really want to be there - either those who's product is an excellent fit for the Tivo audience (male, early adopter, technology enthusiast), or those who have a marketing model that can truly take advantage of the interactive capabilities that Tivo offers (ability to elicit a direct response that benefits the advertisers, such as a tune-in or request for further information).

In effect, it tends to keep itself in check.

10. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest

It appears that Tivo sales are on an downward spiral due to the defective products that have been released to the public, before all defects, were dealth with, thus making all comsumers "beta" testers after the fact...

11. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    How did you come to this conclusion? Where are your facts?

12. SeanC

SeanC ECT

Dec 30, 2003
    Someplace
    +1

13. Revolutionary

Revolutionary Too sleepy for TV...

Dec 1, 2004
    Virginia
    Ditto.

14. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    the TiVo HD came out 2 days before the period reported on ended. Your assertion is far off the facts

15. Dogen

Dogen New Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Agreed... I have never even noticed these ads, so they can't be that obtrusive.

16. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    all that needs to be added is "but I'm not bitter" :rolleyes:

17. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    For some, its the fact that they are both paying for the service and getting advertising , and in that the advertising keeps their rates down.

I perfectly well don't mind paying for a service and getting advertising that doesn't really negatively affect my use and enjoyment of it, and TiVo is one of those services.

18. Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    I pay for Cable TV and get tons of ads on stations that aren't premium stations.

People are weird.

19. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Would you PLEASE tell your major television network to start buying/using the iPreview tags for commercials/promos for new shows? (These are the "Press ThumbsUp to Record" icons that can be displayed on the upper right hand corner during a commercial).

This is the single biggest reason I would think networks would love Tivo and for some reason, only Fox and sometimes NBC seem to use them.

Especially for the fall season, you would think the networks would want to drive eyeballs to programming.

I always though that there wasn't much advertising yet, because advertisers balked at the relatively low number of Tivo owned subs.

20. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I generally hate ads(*), but the Tivo ads are pretty inconspicuous...
    1) at the main menu when you first hit Tivo
    2) sometimes at the delete screen

It's not like the delete screen ones make you hit different keys on the remote.. (if I couldn't do up, right to delete a show when there was an ad there, then it would make me more annoyed).

Plus, if by 'delete them', you're implying that you think that they're taking up your space.. they aren't, in that you're getting exactly the amount of space Tivo said you'd have on the drive. They take up their own reserved portion of the drive space.

(*) I 30 second skip past virtually all ads I see. Though product placement, like in Survivor, really doesn't bug me at all.