Tivo promo to transfer Series 1 lifetime to new Bolt?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by TBoyd, Nov 11, 2017.

1. TBoyd

TBoyd Less Cable, More Cloud

Apr 9, 2000
    SF Bay...

Advertisements

A friend of mine just cut the cable on his home entertainment and gifted me his Tivo Bolt (No service plan). I currently have a Roamio Plus (with lifetime plan) in my AV stack. I also have two legacy Tivo units with lifetime that are just sitting in the closet.

I'm considering making the 'new' Bolt my primary system, given it's better specs, but would not like to start paying a monthly or yearly service plan again. I know that occasionally Tivo has allowed lifetime service to be transferred from old/obsolete units to other Tivo units, sometimes for a onetime fee ($99?). -- I have a useless Series 1 Tivo unit with lifetime that I'd like to extract the lifetime plan from to add to the 'new' Bolt. (I also have a Series 3 with lifetime)

Anyone have any recent experience with Tivo customer support on this topic?

Thanks,
    T

2. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Unfortunately, you missed the prior offers to do this for earlier TiVo's, but note that with those offers you had to buy the new Roamio or Bolt from TiVo at the same time. For Premiere's and Roamio's, users have reported being able to get a reduced price offer on lifetime ($99 or $199) after they've been paying monthly for 3 years or so.

Scott

3. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Also, the existing TiVo’s needed to have made recent connections to the TiVo Service.

-KP

4. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Recommended: hook up your older boxes now and have then phone home to TiVo--when TiVo has had these promotions in the past, it's required that the boxes have connected to TiVo's servers during the year prior to the start of the offer (it hasn't counted to connect up after the promotion has begun). It is very possible that TiVo could repeat these promos again.

kpeters59 and TBoyd like this.
  5. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005

Advertisements

Also, keep your eyes open here and at TiVo.com this month--TiVo had a nice "White sale" last year, starting mid-November.

6. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    There has been no service of any kind available for S1 Tivos for over a year so they could never connect to the mothership and be considered active again.

Mikeguy likes this.
  7. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    An S1 activated before early 2000 may be eligible for a grandfathered in lifetime transfer, but those units are far and few between, I'm sure someone has the exact date floating around.

8. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Doh, of course--good point. (And I have no caffeine-less excuse for this one--had 2 mugs today.) My bad.

Of course, applicable for Series 2 and above boxes.

9. TBoyd

TBoyd Less Cable, More Cloud

Apr 9, 2000
    SF Bay...
    Yeah, I thought about that. So I'll just have to dig out my Series 3 HD and have IT phone home.

THANKS, everyone, for the good tips.

T

kpeters59 likes this.