TiVo: Profits roll in despite poor performance...

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by indychris, May 25, 2011.

1. indychris

indychris New Member

Jan 15, 2011
    So we've speculated for some time that maybe TiVo is simply content to rest on it's laurels rather than continue to work to put out a good product and support those already released.

Could this have something to do with the seeming apathy toward subscribers?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20066003-17.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

2. rdodolak

rdodolak Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Had it not been for the recent patent settlement TiVo would have reported a similar loss just like the previous 7 quarters. Not sure why TiVo doesn't see that as a problem.

3. TheWGP

TheWGP Hmmm...

Oct 26, 2007
  4. indychris

indychris New Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Yeah, probably pretty accurate.

BTW, sorry for the poor grammar in the title, everyone. <Doh!>

5. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Thomas Rogers

We believe that the combination of licensing revenue and operator deals over time can provide us a basis for profitability. That is not to say that the standalone business though doesn't play a role both in terms of efficiencies that it allows us to create with the operator business and a form of incremental revenue that most suppliers to the operator world can't even think of having since we've created the efficiencies between the retail standalone business from an R&D point of view with the operator world. What we do get there by incremental revenue as long as it exceeds any -- the incremental marketing costs in terms of what we get back from most retail subs really provides a contribution for us that we think is important. The other thing, which is less directly to the financial element of your question but very importantly in terms of how we look at the retail business, that provides a whole level of DNA, a whole character to our company in terms of constant innovation and all. That breaks us out of the pack from traditional players in the cable vendor world. That cable vendor world has not been known generally as one that innovates well, that really has the kind of DNA for constantly bringing about the kinds of things that allow cable to be at the cutting edge. And the fact that we exist in that world is something that I think is viewed very positively by the industry. So that's kind of a nonfinancial interplay of those 2 pieces of the business.

6. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge Member

Nov 28, 2002
    He's clearly living in a time warp. TiVo hasn't been an innovator for 5-6 YEARS. They're being overtaken by a number of players in individual areas. It's only a matter of time before someone collects those individual innovaitons into a true successor for TiVo - especially since TiVo is stuck in neutral for development of anything except bullet points for their powerpoint presentations.

7. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    You missed a couple key words. He said in the cable vendor world. The other companies who I assume you are thinking of aren't in the cable vendor world.

8. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    I tried to reread and reread the "Originally Posted by sbiller" Post
    Thomas Rogers" many times, but it just kept sounding like gibberish or maybe I passed out during one of the long run on sentences. I shouldn't be the one criticizing others English, as it is my worst subject, but did others find that posting hard to read/understand?

"That is not to say that the standalone business though doesn't play a role both in terms of efficiencies that it allows us to create with the operator business and a form of incremental revenue that most suppliers to the operator world can't even think of having since we've created the efficiencies between the retail standalone business from an R&D point of view with the operator world."

9. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Basically he is saying that the stand-alone business supplements TiVo's ability to work with cable and satellite operators to deploy full-featured services that marry closed network cable environments with over-the-top environments &#8211; and to do so in a timely manner &#8211; is a compelling value proposition. Prioritization of new capabilities being added to the TiVo platform will be made based on how they impact TiVo's relationship with the cable and satellite providers. They look at stand-alone's as a way for them to test out new features and look to the stand-alone "early adopters" as a way to guage innovation of their offering. Bottom-line is that TiVo is still the only viable alternative offering to the mass retail market. WMC & Moxi are for niche users. OTT only solutions don't marry the DVR with the OTT services.

10. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge Member

Nov 28, 2002
    In the not too distant future, cable/not cable won't matter. He's delusional.

11. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Not if bandwidth caps are instituted by the majority of cable MSOs. DVRs will be relevant for many years to come.

12. sabixx

sabixx New Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Bandwidth isn't getting capped, if they do that they're just going to lose a massive amount of customers to wireless internet.

13. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Comcast, AT&T, ?, ...

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.cfm/2011/05/19/latest_netflix_data_shows_the_perils_of_bandwidth_caps

14. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    So people will flock from comcasts 250gb cap to wireless' 5gb metered plans?

15. treat2day

treat2day New Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Wireless would be my last choice.

I have superb speed but it doesn't compare to a clean ethernet, dual router with a clean feed from cable.

I hope to never have to rent a cable box. I lived here for 10 years and it would be foolish to rent for something I could buy. And they will charge you hundreds of dollars if it isn't returned after you cancel.

16. sabixx

sabixx New Member

Oct 20, 2010
    no, to Sprints unlimited(really unlimited) wireless service. wireless internet caps are going to go way up once we get devices that justify it.

17. TWinbrook46636

TWinbrook46636 Member

Feb 8, 2008
    ...and the prices you pay will go way up too!

18. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    you believe that sprint is going to allow people to use greater than 250gb a month on a regular basis without changing their pricing plans?

If a few here or there do it then sure they wont fiddle- but if sprint becomes the broadband replacement for hoards of people downloading greater than 250gb a month, their network couldn't handle it and they would need to charge more to try and control things. (never mind costs or profits which are both likely to get in the way well before sprint becomes a regular provider of >250gb)

19. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Already has, Sprint added a $10/mo. surcharge for any smartphone in Jan. My daughter had to replace her existing smartphone with another and we get hit with the new fee even though we were still under contract (and we already had 'unlimited' data). Man I was pissed, but they are still cheaper overall than the others.

20. zentec

zentec New Member

Aug 23, 2010
    DVRs will remain relevant, but that doesn't mean that they can ignore the shift. Tivo may have been the disruptor in "appointment television", but unless the owner is willing to undertake some rather non-trivial efforts, Tivo is still anchored to one big screen.

Tivo's innovation needs to extend to tiny screens, beyond being able to control their flagship product. And even though the iPad app is nice, they are still behind what other DVRs can do remotely (DirecTV's simply kick Tivo's butt).

The company needs to understand that the next evolution goes beyond one screen. The HDHomerun offers 6 tuners that can turn a Windows PC into a DVR and stream up to six channels, all with one M-card. They need to be ready to compete with cloud services that will give the viewer what they want when they want it, which is the next step away from traditional cable broadcasting.

As far as pay-per-byte billing on internet access, I haven't made up my mind on how that will turn out, so how it affects companies like Tivo and Netflix is obviously unknown. If the pay-per-byte is actually a modest markup of the true costs, then I think there will be few problems. What I fear will happen is that the providers will adopt a model of $40 a month for the connection, and then $2 a gigabyte for overages over a ridiculously low amount of data. Crafty price increases like that will ultimately amount to customer revolt, and the uncertainty will harm Tivo's expansion to other screens (assuming that they actually come up with a plan).

My Premiere is a modestly acceptable device. But I'm continually on the search for devices that keep me from renting wounded cable boxes and devices and keeps the cable card rental count down as low as possible.