TiVo problems with netflix, FF/RW?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by jmccorm, Dec 7, 2011.

1. jmccorm

jmccorm Special Forum Guest

Oct 8, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    My Fast Forward and Rewind buttons no longer work in Netflix. It makes the BOOP noise, but nothing happens. Is this just me, or everyone else? (The skip to end, and replay work okay.)

Also, I've noticed that while watching a 4:3 TV show on Netflix, the TiVo has decided to do a zoom (that cuts off the top and bottom of the screen). I verified the cropping by viewing on another device which didn't have this issue. It just started doing this recently. How do I get TiVo to unzoom and display NetFlix 4:3 as either a stretch or with black sides?

The only other funny thing I've noticed lately is that my "video providers" completely dropped Netflix and Amazon and replaced it with Hulu. I had to go in, remove Hulu, and set the other two back.

2. Andrel

Andrel Member

Oct 19, 2000
    got the same thing yesterday. Then I switched to the PS3 as I like to FF and I couldn't.

Did not noticed anything else.

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    If you start a movie off Netflix using Tivo Search, you cannot REW/FF, only from your Instant Queue.

You need to make sure you are on panel setting with the aspect/window button before you start a Netflix, you cannot change while in it.

4. Dorv

Dorv Member

Sep 27, 2004
    Seconded. This has started happening to me in the last couple of days

The stuff I'm watching is in my Instant Queue.

I've restarted the TiVo, restated movies, tried different movies, etc. no luck.

5. jmccorm

Oct 8, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Exactly the same things I tried. Aaaaannnndddd... I watched a Netflix TV show yesterday and it still didn't work. I watched a second show... and it DID work! It is working again now. I went back to all the shows that FF/RW didn't work on... and they're working now. Not a single thing interesting happened before it started working again.

Now, if I can just figure out how to get it to UNZOOM those 4:3 television shows. The TiVo is outputting 1080i video, so it is doing the upscaling here. (I've confirmed that the 'wide' mode on the TV only makes it even more zoomed in.) Somehow, it has the upscaling wrong, and the "Zoom" button on the remote does nothing while watching Netflix.

But this is a different problem now than the thread title. :(

6. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area

A video needs to be streamed over about a minute or so to have enough data to FF/REW, and the time is needed to download the thumbnails.

7. Dorv

Dorv Member

Sep 27, 2004
    I've never had to buffer any amount of video before I could start FF/RW.

But I, too, had it magically start working for me again last night.

Must have been something server side that had to be tweaked.

8. jmccorm

Oct 8, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Like you, I couldn't FF or RW even when I was halfway into the show. It would make the button beep noise, but would take no action at all.

Guess what? I found out what was going on with Netflix and the overzoomed television shows. The Zoom button plays the 'bad bong' when you hit it while watching Netflix. (Please read that last sentence in context.) So, it doesn't do a thing.

But, I went to live TV. The zoom button works great there. I used the Zoom Button (which in my configuration is talking to the TiVo, not my TV) and switched the 4:3 content to display in panel mode. I went back into Netflix. My content was no longer being cropped to 16:9 but had panels again. (And the zoom button continued not to work under Netflix.)

It looks like a software issue. The Zoom button doesn't work under Netflix, yet the video playback under Netflix totally inherits the Zoom function that you set during normal TV watching. You have no control over it while watching a Netflix movie, and no indication of how you are supposed to control it. That's really frustrating.

9. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Yes, its a known issue where you have to leave Netflix to adjust your aspect/zoom to panel before entering Netflix, same for the format button.