Tivo problem with sony a/c receiver

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by surfbug, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Feb 5, 2011 #1 of 29
    surfbug

surfbug New Member

Apr 10, 2010

Advertisements

I have tivo premiere for 8 months and I just bought sony a/c receiver. I looked at the back of the tivo box but I saw only 1 hmdi already token How do I connect from tivo to sony a/v receiver? Thanks

2. Feb 5, 2011 #2 of 29
    paulnelson20

paulnelson20 New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Might want to invest in a powered HDMI switcher. I have one and it works great if you have limited HDMI ports.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=4088&seq=1&format=2

3. Feb 5, 2011 #3 of 29
    01grander

01grander New Member

Feb 5, 2011
    The hdmi cable from the tivo is output which should go to a hdmi input on the sony receiver. Sony receiver should have multiple hdmi in's and prob one output that should go to the tv.

4. Feb 5, 2011 #4 of 29
    jbernardis

jbernardis Active Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Princeton NJ
    What are the capabilities of your receiver. I have my tivo - with its one HDMI output hooked up to my denon receiver and it works fine. HDMI from tivo to the receiver and HDMI from the receiver to the TV - there is no longer a direct connection from the tvio to the tv. The Receiver intercepts the audio and sends it out the speakers; the video goes out to the TV.

Of course this MIGHT mean that you'd have to have your receiver on all of the time, but why wouldn't you want that anyway - most broadcast TV - most certainly the networks - uses some form of surround sound. Why wouldn't you want to take advantage of that?

5. Feb 5, 2011 #5 of 29
    surfbug

surfbug New Member

Apr 10, 2010

Advertisements

Do I put hmdi cable into the output on sony and put the hmdi cable in the on my tv?
    Thanks for helping me again

6. Feb 5, 2011 #6 of 29
    01grander

01grander New Member

Feb 5, 2011
    The hdmi cable from the TiVo goes into the input on the Sony receiver. There should be multiple hdmi inputs if it's a newer receiver. It doesn't matter which input on the Sony receiver but you'll need to know so you can hit the right button for source. Output on the Sony will go to the tv.

7. Feb 6, 2011 #7 of 29
    surfbug

surfbug New Member

Apr 10, 2010

8. Feb 6, 2011 #8 of 29
    01grander

01grander New Member

Feb 5, 2011
    I'm not sure what your saying but just read the post.

9. Feb 6, 2011 #9 of 29
    jbernardis

jbernardis Active Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Princeton NJ

10. surfbug

surfbug New Member

Apr 10, 2010
    I looked at the back of the tivo and I saw digital audio (optical) can I connect the cable from tivo to either a/v receiver or home theater. What kind of cable do I buy?
    Thanks for helping me againg

11. jbernardis

jbernardis Active Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Princeton NJ
    a TOSlink optical cable. Radio shack has em - so does monoproce.com

12. surfbug

surfbug New Member

Apr 10, 2010
    thanks for helping me

13. jbernardis

jbernardis Active Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Princeton NJ
    That's the purpose of this forum.

There might be some configuration you need to do on the receiver if you are using the digital optical input. Is the optical input dedicated to the TV input or is it assignable. Most newer higher end receivers are the latter. In this case, you'd need to assign that connection to whatever function you want to choose to watch TiVo. For example, if you want to watch TiVo on the "tv/sat" input on your receiver, you might need to assign the optical input to the "tv/sat" function. There might be other needed configuration as well.

What is the model number of your receiver? That way if you have any further questions, maybe I can look it up on-line.

14. Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston
    What Sony receiver did you buy. Most AVR's today have multiple HDMI inputs and 1 output to your TV. You need to read your owners manual to your Sony receiver and get to know how to operate it, then hooking up your TiVo to it will be quite easy with an HDMI cable. If your Sony does not have HDMI capabilities, and you just bought it, take it back and get one that does. IMO

15. surfbug

surfbug New Member

Apr 10, 2010
  16. surfbug

surfbug New Member

Apr 10, 2010
  17. surfbug

surfbug New Member

Apr 10, 2010
    I will connect the tivo to sony a/c receiver but which device tv or dvd another device will display on the screen. or will I put tv to watch the show or chose dvd home theater to watch the movie?

Sony-STR-DH510

18. DeWitt

DeWitt Member

Jun 30, 2004
    Saratoga...
    Should be simple. HDMI from all your sources (Blue ray, Tivo etc) to the audio receiver and HDMI to the TV.

I have my Yamaha set up like this and it is dead solid simple. The receiver acts as a switch so what you see/hear will depend on the selection on the receiver.

19. surfbug

surfbug New Member

Apr 10, 2010
    I switched the hmdi cable from tivo box and put the cable in the hdmi cable in the a/c receiver but I turned on the tv and saw there's no signal now. I tried everything but It won't work. What do I do?

20. caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    Lets try this.

1 Install a HDMI cable from the Tivo to 1 of the inputs on the Sony receiver. Remember the input.
    2 Install a HDMI cable from the output of the Sony receiver to a input of the tv. Remember which input.
    3 Turn on receiver and switch to the input of the tivo. Next turn on tv and switch on the input of the receiver.
    No need of any other cable.