TIVO problem or TV problem or ??

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by kaloskie, Dec 11, 2011.

1. kaloskie

kaloskie New Member

Aug 24, 2002
    For some time now the programs I have recored using my TIVO are very dark, almost to the point of being unwatchable. I noticed that on a show I was watching last night that the commercials seemed fine.

I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas as to the possible cause of this problem.
    I'm going to run the TIVO signal through a different TV but does anyone have an idea on how I could find the cause of this problem.

My set is a 27" JVC, several years old. Controles are set to max brightness, my TIVO is a series II.

Jerry

2. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    How is your system set up?
    Are you going from the wall outlet -> set top box -> Tivo -> TV?
    If so, connect the STB directly to the TV and see if you have the same problem.
    If you don't use a STB (analog cable), go straight from the wall outlet to the TV.
    If you still see a problem without the Tivo in the loop, you have eliminated the Tivo as the cause of your problem.

3. cannonz

cannonz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I have a JVC AV27D303 did same thing TV repair guy turned adjuster on back of tube, was back to new. Commercials are always brighter crisp perfect color to show products in best light.

4. Stuxnet

Stuxnet Alien Infidel

Feb 8, 2011
    Not sure why recorded output would be different... isn't everything TiVo outputs recorded? Does your picture quality change if you change your video out source. I'm not familiar w/your model, but I would try the following video out sources... coax, red/white/yellow rca plugs, composite video, component video, & HDMI ... could simply be a bad cable.

5. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I'm thinking cannonz probably on the right track about it being low thermonic emission in the picture tube, but you need to test the TiVo on a different TV and the TV with a different video source and see if the problem stays with the TV or with the TiVo, and whatever kind of wiring feeds video from your TiVo to your TV should be tested as well.

How are you feeding from the TiVo to the TV?

And what's the model number of your Tivo?