1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tivo Premiere XL is pixelating

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by rustybutt, Jun 12, 2018.

1. rustybutt

rustybutt New Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Alameda, CA
    I have a 5 year old Tivo Premiere XL that is pixelating from time to time. Seems to be doing it more lately, which I'd assume would mean a problem with bad blocks on the disk drive. You can see what it looks like at:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=SUlEUDBxYzhwVG4wZE9JNXRnNkI0cE5FbGc1LUJR

I'm an old Linux sysadmin. Is there a documented procedure for replacing a drive? Is that what needs to be done? Do I just have to pitch it out and buy a new one, not a happy thought...

Russ

2. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    You can copy the existing drive to a new one with MFSTools 3.2 if it's not too badly damaged. That will save all of your recordings and settings, and it's a Linux boot CD.

Or, you can build a new disk with DvrBARS (Windows) and an image of a clean drive. I sent you the image in case you choose that option. Both programs are in the Upgrade forum.

Teeps likes this.
  3. MrJedi

MrJedi Member

Apr 13, 2011
    You were watching PBS. Was it via cable or OTA?

4. KDeFlane

KDeFlane Active Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    (your photo album isn't loading for me, just a lag on my end, so I can't see when in your show this was recorded)
    If the pixelation happens at the start-or-end of a show as it does on my unit, I've created my own work-around you could try. I've noticed it happens mostly when the device needs to change its own tuners, so I always preselect all the channels in advance of the evening's ToDo list, and/or just pad an extra minute on each end. On a busy night (like Tuesdays for me) when all 4 tuners are in use for back-to-back hours, these steps aren't possible, and I'm just glad the pixel noise only lasts a few seconds.