Tivo Premiere XL - Comcast Chicago - Camera changes freeze screen for split second

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by b_scott, Jan 11, 2016.

1. b_scott

b_scott TiVo Fan

Nov 27, 2006
    chicago, il
    So the past two months or so, some channels (I think it might just be channels, it's hard to keep track) have this weird thing where the picture "hitches" for a couple frames every time the scene changes to another camera. Like the editors messed up and froze the video between shots. But that can't be. It's not every show, or every station, or even the entire show when it happens.

I'm wondering if it's maybe a Comcast issue with their broadcasts/encodes? Hoping it's not my Tivo dying.

Anyone else have this?

Comcast Chicago has been switching over to Mpeg-4 but it's not necessarily on channels that have switched over.

Just tested and it happens in the same places and is repeatable. I'll toss up an example shortly.

edit: Below see the spot where the guy's face freezes in between shots:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjctvTBAO04

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  2. b_scott

b_scott TiVo Fan

Nov 27, 2006
    chicago, il
    no one else has this issue?

3. b_scott

b_scott TiVo Fan

Nov 27, 2006
    chicago, il
    bump

4. SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot New Member

Jan 7, 2016
    MPEG4 Conversion related?

Are you running the test software?

5. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Have you contacted Tivo?

6. b_scott

b_scott TiVo Fan

Nov 27, 2006
    chicago, il
    not on test software. Doesn't seem to only be on channels with the super fast forwarding that MPEG-4 does.

7. b_scott

b_scott TiVo Fan

Nov 27, 2006
    chicago, il
    not yet, I wanted to see if it was an anomaly first.

8. SomeRandomIdiot

Jan 7, 2016
    So iT sound like its on the MPEG 2 channels.

With a statmux, one would assume a new shot would send out a new I frame as a base, but perhaps your unit it having an issue with that?

Dan could probably offer more technical insight as to that.

9. b_scott

b_scott TiVo Fan

Nov 27, 2006
    chicago, il
    it happens a lot on FX I notice. But like I said, it's not just MPEG-4 necessarily. I'll try to keep track of channels that I see it on. Disney, where the clip is from, is not a "super fast forward" encoding channel so I assume that's MPEG-2 still. FX is one of those, so I assume MPEG-4. It's happening on both.

I also just did a test and confirmed it happens on both boxes on the same spot on the same recording, and it's repeatable. I have a Premiere and Premiere XL. So it's not the boxes - and the recording was done on my secondary box which I don't watch as much. I know it also for sure happens on my primary XL box's recordings too.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  10. SomeRandomIdiot

Jan 7, 2016
    Ok, you said it happens on both machines, but further down that seems to be explained that you recorded on one and even viewing recorded material from the first on the second it skips.

That just means it is recorded that way on the drive.

You need to record same programming ON BOTH at the same time and compare does it do it on both at the exact same time.