TiVo Premiere with Lifetime Died

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by exegesis48, Oct 4, 2020.

1. Oct 4, 2020 #1 of 13
    exegesis48

exegesis48 Member

Jan 13, 2007

Advertisements

One of my TiVo Premieres recently died on me, I’m pretty sure the hard drive wore out. Luckily I had a backup unit that has hardly been used. My question is whether it’s worth it to replace the hard drive in the old unit. I can get a Western Digital Red off Amazon for about $60.

2. Oct 4, 2020 #2 of 13
    ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    Replacing the drive with an image and DvrBARS only takes a few minutes if you have a way to hook it up to a Windows computer. I guess the big question is does it have a lifetime subscription.

3. Oct 4, 2020 #3 of 13
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    That was my first thought, then I read the thread title. Otherwise I would suggest a used Roamio.

ggieseke likes this.
  4. Oct 4, 2020 #4 of 13
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    If you are considering upgrading to a Bolt or Edge, reconsider. It would also cost more to put lifetime onto another unit, $550.

Replacing the drive is easier and cheaper. A 8 TB drive costs less than the lifetime (Now called All-in) service alone.

5. Oct 5, 2020 #5 of 13
    ggieseke

May 30, 2008

Advertisements

Doh!

A Premiere with lifetime still has value, so it's worth replacing the drive.

6. galeth

galeth New Member

Oct 12, 2020
    My Premiere with Lifetime has just died. I am thinking of buying a used Premiere 500 on ebay and using it's hard drive to put into mine. What are the pitfalls? Will Tivo know/care that a new drive is in my unit? Is there any software that needs to be changed?

7. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    It would know that the drive is not the same as before since it was married to the Tivo. You would have to do Clear & Delete Everything to get it to work right. You could just get a bigger drive, up to 8TB (instead of the OEM 320 or 500GB), get an image from here (if the existing image doesn't work anymore) and have it running in no time. Use DVRBars to backup/restore image, then MFSTools 3.3 to expand (8TB Premiere), more help here.

Recommended drive is the WD Red Plus, models ending in EFRX, its possible to use EFAX but there may be some unforeseen issues.

Using an old Premiere of the same model would introduce the same problems as the drive would be just about as old.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
  8. galeth

galeth New Member

Oct 12, 2020
    I looked at the following on Amazon: Will it fit the Premiere 500? If so I can order. How to get image? Will it need to be specific to my hard drive size? Where can I get step by step instructions to use image, use DVRBars and MFSTools 3.3? I am a neophyte but willing to try. Thanks for help. galeth
    Western Digital 1TB WD Red Plus NAS Internal Hard Drive - 5400 RPM Class, SATA 6 Gb/s, CMR, 64 MB Cache, 3.5" - WD10EFRX

9. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Premieres has no issues with the physical drive size, all 3.5 inch drives will fit.

The size issues start with the Bolt and Edge.

You could get a larger drive than the 1TB, it can handle up to 8TB. I would suggest the 4TB for moderate recording. You would need to backup your current drive, if its still working (else, you would need an appropriate image) and copy to the new drive. The tools you would need most is the T10 & T15 TORX screwdriver.

10. vaquero

vaquero Active Member

Jan 14, 2020
    If they're SATA.

11. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    They usually are.

12. ggieseke

May 30, 2008
    Post the model number of the Premiere (it sounds like a TCD750500 but we need to be sure). I have pre-expanded DvrBARS images available so that all you have to do is restore the image and put the drive in the TiVo.

13. dougtv

dougtv Member

May 20, 2015
    Any premiere or Roamio with lifetime is always worth saving if you still want a great functional DVR. You simply have a new opt to upgrade the hard drive and store more recordings. It's worth the effort instead of dropping $500+ on newer units and/or new lifetime subs.

kpeters59 likes this.