TiVo premiere vs elite?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Dpordy99, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Nov 7, 2011 #1 of 29
    Dpordy99

Dpordy99 Member

Nov 7, 2011
    I am ready to ditch my cox DVR in exchange for a TiVo

I can get a regular TiVo premiere upgraded to 2TB with lifetime on eBay for $689 or I can spend $300 more for the Elite w/lifetime

Is the ability to record 4 shows at once what I would be paying the extra $300 for? I have never needed to record more than two shows at the same time.

2. Nov 7, 2011 #2 of 29
    ciscokid

ciscokid Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Tampadelphia...
    Save yourself some money. Get a HD upgraded to 1 or 2 TB. Stay away from the Premiere.

Unless you are a hopeless TV addict who has no life outside of watching TV, you don't need 2 more tunesr for several hundred bucks more. It's hard enough to find ONE thing that's decent to watch/record let alone FOUR programs on at the same time......IMHO that is!

3. Nov 7, 2011 #3 of 29
    steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Pretty much.

If you use OTA in combination with cable, don't get the Elite.

4. Nov 7, 2011 #4 of 29
    DonaldBurns65144

DonaldBurns65144 Member

Jan 10, 2011
    USA
    We went from a FIOS DVR to the Premiere XL because of the 1TB HDD. Picture quality was much better vs. the FIOS POS. I also used the THX setup (included with the XL's) on our 1080 Samsung LCD and have had several comments from cable user friends asking if it was a LED or just how we got such a great picture. Between tweaking the PQ and the FIOS I guess we get great video. So we are pleased with the XL. There is the problem of slow menus but not so bad that it's a deal breaker. Hopefully at some point Tivo will get their heads out of their buttsides and update the software and fix some of the bugs. Just don't expect a bulletproof finalized product at this time.

5. Nov 7, 2011 #5 of 29
    Dpordy99

Dpordy99 Member

Nov 7, 2011
    I have a Cox digital cable box with the DVR. My main concern is picture quality. With their be an improvement in picture quality with the Elite as it is THX certified.

6. Nov 7, 2011 #6 of 29
    ciscokid

ciscokid Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Tampadelphia...
    I believe that THX certification has nothing to do with PICTURE quality. Perhaps someone here with more knowledge of this subject can clarify this?

7. Nov 7, 2011 #7 of 29
    Dpordy99

Dpordy99 Member

Nov 7, 2011
    I know the Tivo converts the picture to MPEG I want to make sure the picture looks as good as possible before making my decision.

8. Nov 7, 2011 #8 of 29
    Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    With a digital signal, the TiVo does not convert anything, it is a bitstream recorder, writing the data to the harddrive and retrieving it for processing.

9. Nov 7, 2011 #9 of 29
    ciscokid

ciscokid Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Tampadelphia...
    Doesn't "Tivo Desktop", take the Tivo recording, and encode it as an MPEG file with a special "wrapper" when it's transferred to your PC.

Perhaps this is what the question was?

10. Dpordy99

Dpordy99 Member

Nov 7, 2011
    I'm kind of new to HD Tivo. With my old Tivo I can tell you without a doubt that it was converting an analog or digital signal to an MPEG file.

With the cable card is it basically copying data and you don't get a "1st generation" picture. On the highest quality setting is it going to look exactly the same as if I had the cable card inserted into my Plasma TV's cable card slot?

11. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    The quality setting has no effect on digital recordings (e.g., HD channels). As Chris said, what they send down your cable digitally is what is written to disk and displayed on your set, so it is a '1st gen' picture. It will look as good, or close enough not to matter, as the pic with a card in your TV.

I set my Tivos to fixed res 1080i output to avoid the format change lag when changing channels from 720p to 1080i and vice-versa, and I can't see a diff whether it's fixed or native output.

SD digital channels can vary depending on how well Tivo upscales the pic vs. how your TV displays it natively, but the digital stream is the same in either case. I still don't think it matters.

12. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    For digital recordings, TiVo just puts the drm wrapper around it. It doesn't affect quality since it is already in mpeg-2 format.

13. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    That's a personal decision. Many people find the extra tuners beneficial. Plus, I think you are confusing the Elite and Premiere. You can get a Premiere with 2 tuners for $100. Add lifetime to that and it is a pretty good deal.

14. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    One of the things THX certification does is verify that the picture quality meets or exceeds the standards.
    The 2 tuner Premiere most likely would pass the THX certification since the hardware is essentially the same, but TiVo didn't have it certified so they could offer it for a lower price.

15. Millionaire2K

Millionaire2K Active Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Philadelphia
    I think if you watch sports then the Elite is a good option. Many times when a game would be on that I wanted to watch 2 shows would be taping. I would then have to cancel a rec to watch the game. With the elite I never worry.

Also if you have a few family members who have diffrent taste as to what to watch the Elite is almost a must have. A family of 4 would have a lot of shows to tape.

But it all comes down to what YOU need. How often have you needed a 3rd tuner? Did a show ever not get taped cause of another? Did you ever have to stop a rec to watch another show?

16. Dpordy99

Dpordy99 Member

Nov 7, 2011
    I can only remember one time in my life where I wanted to record 3 shows at once and couldn't.

I am a single guy and do not watch sports

17. Millionaire2K

Millionaire2K Active Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Then its easy to say the Elite is not for you.

18. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    One person probably has no need for more than two tuners. In my house, we ended up with two TiVos in the living room, one for the husband and one for the wife, because too many shows conflicted, especially in prime-time. The Elite replaced both of them, and an HDMI input was also rescued and is now in use with a new Blu-Ray player.

19. kturcotte

kturcotte Active Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Portland, ME
    Is the Cox box HD? Are you watching the HD versions of the channels? How is it connected to your Tv? These can all effect how the picture looks. If you want the BEST picture (And audio) quality, make sure you have an HD box from the cable company, you're watching the actual HD versions of the channels, and the box is connected to your Tv via HDMI. If the picture quality is STILL bad, then it's Cox and there isn't anything you're going to do about it.
    So DON'T purchase a Tivo in the hopes of fixing picture quality.

20. Dpordy99

Dpordy99 Member

Nov 7, 2011
    It's an HD box, the picture looks great depending on the signal.