Tivo Premiere TCD748000 dead disk

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by jcarey9149, Mar 11, 2020.

1. jcarey9149

jcarey9149 New Member

Feb 9, 2005

Advertisements

My hard drive has been going for a while. I've got a couple of premieres, both of them are showing the missing "upcoming programs" problem. One of them recovers it if you restart it.

The other one does not recover it on restart. When I was working with support, they had me run "clear program data" step, and it hung. They basically said "buy a new one". I was able to recover it by running kickstart 54 (hard drive test) and 57 (mfscheck). I believe at least one of those found a problem and fixed it. I'd since run "clear program data" a couple of times.

Yesterday, I tried the "clear program data" again. After about 6 hours, I killed it and tried to run an mfscheck again. This morning it was still looping.

I've given up on that drive, although I have some hope of pulling some of the program data off the drive. I dropped an uninitialized drive into the tivo, hoping that it would format and reinstall the os. It puts up the first boot screen, then takes it down and flashes all the lights. I can't get to the kickstarter codes.

How can I initialize/format the drive?

Jim

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You don't. You just need to put an image from a matching model on it. DVRBars would work.
    Premiere is a Series 4. Beginning with Series 5 (Roamio), it can self-initialize blank drives.

3. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    TCD748000 DvrBARS image sent. Once it's running again, DO NOT run Clear Program Information & To Do List even if the guide data is bad. It will just brick your system again.

4. keithg1964

keithg1964 Ragonk

Feb 2, 2006
    Texas
    Since it failed due to the software and an command they requested, did they offer anything toward a new unit?

5. jcarey9149

jcarey9149 New Member

Feb 9, 2005

Advertisements

Nope. It was also a lifetime subscription.