Tivo Premiere - suddenly menus looks different :((

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by rambler, Jan 25, 2012.

1. rambler

rambler Member

Dec 3, 2005
    Came home today and everything looks different - if I hit the right side of the top circle to see info on the show i am watching, it displays it at the bottom of the screen not the top like it used to.

And when I hit the Guide button to see what's on tonight, it's way different looking! Is this a software update? I hate "new and improved" stuff that isn't improved!!

2. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
  3. rambler

rambler Member

Dec 3, 2005
    Thanks, and my disappointment grows as they have f***ed up the ability to watch in fast forward with captions visible. I am totally irate.

4. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    And in case you're wondering, switching to SDUI doesn't fix that problem either... That was a head-scratching change since it used to work in the SDUI before this release but we are now being told by Margret (TiVo representative) that it's technically very difficult to get that functionality back.

5. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Why do the people at Tivo keep making matters worse?

If it works, then leave it alone. If it doesn't work then release updates to fix it. But for the love of God, stop making things worse! Properly test the upgrades prior to releasing them.

6. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    What are you referring to? The change in the guide and channel banner doesn't make it broken. We now have a full HD guide and a mini guide. I'm quite grateful for the changes.

7. BlackBetty

BlackBetty I

Nov 5, 2004
    This has to be a joke thread, right?

8. rambler

rambler Member

Dec 3, 2005
    It doesn't DO anything better, does it? It does absolutely nothing positive for me and has a huge negative as indicated above.

9. TivoNM

TivoNM New Member

Oct 19, 2005
    I like the new look. I was definitely surprised. The TiVo has quicker response, I like the guide layout. I think the new look is sleek! I have been looking at the same TiVo guide for almost a decade and 4 models. Way to go TiVo. Boo on the nay sayers. :D

10. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Call TiVo and complain.. otherwise, you are essentially assenting to the changes.

11. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    It shows what is being recorded in the guide (single recordings w/ 1 check and season passes w/ 2). The full guide lets you watch the current show in the window while browsing the guide. The full guide also uses more of the screen allowing you to view a bigger time period than the old guide. And the mini guide lets you use the guide without using much of the screen. I would say it does do it better and there are no negatives for me.

12. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I use this all the time, but did not realize many other people did. Now that it's been removed, users are coming out of the woodwork complaining about it. I would bet TiVo didn't realize this was an oft-used and MUCH-loved feature. Probably thought they could kill it and half a dozen would even notice.

We need to all CALL TiVo and complain about this. It's possible it may be restored if enough people raise hell.

13. zowwie85

zowwie85 New Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    Eh, one obscure feature went away but in exchange HDUI works, one can stream between TiVos and the company is actively engaged with its customers. To me, this is a positive... :)

14. Capmeister

Capmeister Member

Jan 20, 2005
    Metro DC
    The captioning while in 1X is used by a LOT of deaf people. :-(

15. jjd_87

jjd_87 Member

Jan 31, 2011
    WV
    This is why I rarely post on this forum because every single thing is a complaint. This update is a HUGE step in the right direction. You people will ***** about anything.

16. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    You clearly cannot please everyone at the same time (but- isn't everyone pleased at the new guide and speed increases- hopefullly more speed in the future..).

I believe that those of us who do not directly feel the loss of this FF feature understand that others did enjoy it. I never knew it existed, or would have guessed that it did, as there is no sound output in FFx1. (I wonder if it was more of an artifact than a feature in TiVo's perspective)

However, considering it (and understanding it is unlikely to come back), I may have elected for this to appear during FF even if captions were not on. Thinking back, there are times when I perhaps would have skipped through some content knowing I could see whatever dialog was going on. Say, during an NFL broadcast. But, at FF speeds I'm not sure I could read that fast.

17. Balzer

Balzer Active Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Ditto!

18. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Perhaps it was not as obscure as some think. I thought I was the only person who even knew about it, much less used it. Yet many people have complained about it here, including some who rarely post. As I said above, this may have been a feature TiVo figured they could drop without anyone noticing... and they are wrong.

I'm deaf, so I live with captions. But at 1xFF, there is no sound, so this is not a deaf/HOH feature. It's simply a feature.:)

Thanks for your thoughtful post. You've helped remind me that most people think the world revolves around them.

Regardless of the new features of this update, TiVo has removed a feature that it seems many people loved and used. We're not complaining because something we wish for is still not implemented; we're upset because they removed a feature. I just rec'd the update a couple days ago, and have probably tried to 1xFF/captions 3-4 times already. Even I didn't realize how often I used it. Let me give you a couple examples:

1) News: I often watch the news (Today Show, Evening News, local news) at 1xFF/captions. I can catch the top stories in half the time.

2) Zooming thru the end of shows that seem to love filler music. I'll admit this is a weird one, yet I use it all the time. Example: Flashpoint--when they come towards the end of an episode, they start playing this emotive music as the scenes play out. I'll jump to 1xFF to zoom thru it, as I don't really want to listen to 30-45 seconds of whatever music. But if some dialog does happen to occur, I'll see it and can slow back down to regular speed.

It's dozens of weird little situations like this that I've come to love 1xFF/captions. Will I leave TiVo? Not a chance on earth. But I would love to see it return. And I WILL call TiVo to let them know about this.

Thanks for a thoughtful reply. Yeah, the words do sometimes speed by, but I can keep up 95% of the time. The rest... that's why they invented the 8-sec rewind.:D

19. Saberj

Saberj New Member

Sep 29, 2006
    That's what I was going to say. How is it any different for people that can hear? We all have to go by the visual cues we see in the show. It's not like those of us that can hear have an easier time fast-forwarding. :confused:

20. mrsean

mrsean Active Member

May 15, 2006
    New Jersey
    I like the new update, but I agree with original poster. I still keep looking for the time on the lower right side of my screen when watching live tv and yes I know there are other ways to display the current time but I want it back the where it was before TiVo farked it up.