TiVo Premiere split to multiple TVs

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by bbb3o, Jul 27, 2015.

1. bbb3o

bbb3o Member

Sep 15, 2011

Advertisements

Hi. Trying to find solution.

I want to take an old dual tuner TiVo premiere, and split the output to a couple different TVs in different rooms. An HDMI switch / splitter for direct HDMI to HDMI connection is a deal breaker here, so needs to go over COAX (or could possibly go over ethernet if I had to).
    Am I looking at a HDMI to COAX converter??
    Am I looking at a MoCA adapter??
    Is this possible??

Thanks to any and allÂ… :)

2. Mgalin

Mgalin Member

Jan 6, 2002
    Before the Mini's existed - i ran the component outputs through Baluns (Component to Cat5/6)

http://muxlab.com/products/category/component-video/component-videostereo-audio-balun-2-pack

No splitting required.. Except needed IR repeaters or RF remote.

3. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    You realize you'll be watching the same thing in all rooms, right?

You COULD just send HDMI to one room, composite or component to another room..

I forget which Tivos output on coax (in analog).. but you realize when they do that, you only get mono sound?

4. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    You could use a QAM or ATSC Modulator like the ZeeVee or VeCoax solutions. You can find them on eBay from time to time. I got my older model ZeeVee for $170 there. Do a search and see what pops up. This solution should be able to preserve your full HD resolution and DD sound.

It's also only SD and no HD resolutions using the RF coax out of a TiVo. You have to use component or HDMI to get HD at the remote TVs.

5. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...

Advertisements

The HDMI over twisted pair adpaters work extremely well. That is all we use at work now with clients to get HDMI from a conference table or to send it to multiple locations. One Cat5e cable can carry 1080P60 video and 7.1 audio using HDBaseT. But to set it up for a bunch of TVs would make it a little expensive.

6. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Baluns are expensive. You're probably better off just getting a Roamio and a Mini instead. You'll likely be able to sell the Premiere and recoup the difference you would have paid for the baluns anyway.

7. bbb3o

bbb3o Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Such a wealth of information. Thanks all.

For those interested; yes, my original intent was to go with a Roamio Plus and 3-4 Minis over either ethernet or MoCA.
    Client felt too expensive. They already have an old TiVo2 feeding 4 HDTVs over RG6. But of course it looks awful. So want to offer possibility of Premiere to do same thing as current; just with HD capability.

The Baluns look like a good solution. Can anybody recommend a good (and hopefully inexpensive) type / brand?

Thanks again.

8. bbb3o

bbb3o Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Also, any information about handling the remotes in this scenario would be helpful.
    I know IR can be routed over some of these COAX converter units (but HDMI ethernet balun is looking more promising for me). What about the TiVo RF remotes? Client already have a couple of these that they use on two separate single dedicated Premieres (with RF USB dongles) already. But I don't know how those would work with 4 TVs in different rooms, all hooked up to one central Premiere unit (?)

9. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    There are also ATSC modulators, which would allow you to feed HD over RG6, but they're really expensive.

The RF remotes have about a 30-40' range, so they're not going to work well for distant rooms. There are wireless IR repeaters you could use. They're not very attractive (look like little pyramids) but they work OK.

10. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    As mentioned in my previous post, I found some on eBay fairly cheaply.