Tivo Premiere (software version 14.8c) keeps on rebooting every few days

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by slingster, Oct 28, 2011.

1. slingster

slingster New Member

Aug 2, 2008
    I'm so frustrated! For the last few weeks my Premiere kept on rebooting every few days when I turn it on. Got the typical message "almost there...wait few more minutes, etc.) and usually have to wait about 10 minutes before I can use the Tivo. As a result, some of my shows end up not recording and some got cutoff near the end. My software version is 14.8c-01-3-746 and HD menu software is 108/2011.04.08-1413. Any advice on fixing this is greatly appreciated.

2. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    How long had the unit been working before the re-boots started ?
    The most likely problem is the hard drive going bad, unless your AC power is having problems, you could try a small UPS power supply.

3. slingster

slingster New Member

Aug 2, 2008
    It's been working fine (with exceptions of minor hiccups) since the day I first got it, which is about 10 months ago. The rebooting problem started few weeks ago...very strange. Very disappointed with Tivo. My first generation non-HD tivo which I got about 12 years ago still runs fine.

4. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I would call customer service. You are still within the warranty period and they will send you through a bunch of diagnostics that should identify if the hard drive is failing or not. If they determine it is the hard drive you could always buy a upgrade drive on Ebay (TiVo software already installed) instead of dealing with returning it or if you are handy and the drive is still running you could do an upgrade yourself - upgrading a Premiere's drive is real easy if you can access the original drive to copy the software. You can buy a 2TB drive for around $70 that will give you 318 hours of HD storage.

Regarding the Series 1 TiVo and having last 12 years. Congratulations, getting 12 years of continuous service from a hard drive is fairly rare - likely significantly more rare than 1 going bad in 10 months. In any event TiVo doesn't make hard drives and has little or no control over how long they will last. The drives in the Premiere are Western Digital drives designed for DVRs and seem to be as reliable as any.

Good Luck,

5. Dave_N

Dave_N Member

May 4, 2006
    NW Suburban...
    I've also had two reboots in two days...

Not sure if it matters, but both of mine were near the top of the hour about to start recordings on the channel that was active.

6. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    I've never had rebooting problems on my TP until the last 2 weeks either. I think it has rebooted 3 times in the last 2 weeks. Very unusual.

7. cctraveler

cctraveler New Member

May 29, 2008
    Have the same issue with my 2 TIVO Premier's. Contacted TIVO support and they said to check the RS corrected and uncorrected values, as well as, the SNR via the DVR Diagnostics. Then sent me link http:support.tivo.com.app/answers/detail/a_id/150

Bottom line is like says that if RS has values in it then there is a cable problem. Need to change cable and/or call cable company to check cable to unit. Guess it could also be the cable card? Haven't tried any of these yet