Tivo Premiere Series 4 and FIOS

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by bw Squirrel, Aug 18, 2019.

1. bw Squirrel

bw Squirrel New Member

Aug 17, 2019

Advertisements

Hi all

I am a longtime Tivo devotee, I was there for series 1 and have had nearly a dozen Tivos. I was a beta tester for years. I knew more about cable cards than the cable installer who brought the first one, he had never even heard of one. I have tons of troubleshooting experience over the last nearly 20 years. I say all this not to brag but to let you know I'm not some granny who needs help installing an HDMI.

I currently have multiple boxes 2 Bolts, a POS Roamio (don't get me started on that misstep), and a Series 4 Premiere. The Premiere is where I'm running into issues. I know that any machine prior to the 4 is no longer compatible with FIOS. Has anyone experienced problems with FIOS and the Premiere? The Premiere is the last machine I have that is still capable of pulling some unprotected content off of it so I'm reluctant to let it go. I know there are ways to strip copyrighting, I'm not particularly interested and reconfiguring given the amount of streaming data now available but every now and then I want to keep a random show offline.

In the last several months the Premiere started having issues receiving HBO and Cinemax plus a handful of other channels. First the picture was randomly sputtery, then after some time the signal started to break up now I get a black screen with an occasionally stuttering rogue pixel island.

I made several obligatory calls to Verizon, who's current default position is to refuse to send technicians out no matter how many times I called. They are so hit and miss. Sometimes you get a great tech who sees your issue and works hard to correct it, but mostly its outsourced customer service that barely know what a Tivo is. Long and short is they are less help than Tivo support, who I didn't bother to contact. I have more than a few interactions with them to know that the community is where I would actually find help.

So here are the steps I went through to try and correct this problem before you ask.
    • I called Verizon and replaced the M card at their suggestion. It was obvious to me this wasn't the issue since the machine had been working without issue. NO CHANGE
    • I swapped the M cards between the Premiere and a Bolt. NO CHANGE
    • I respliced every coax connection in the house. The machine in question breaks twice in line, once at a male to male connecter in my basement, the second in the room; to the Premiere and my FIOS router. NO CHANGE
    • Because I was concerned it might be signal degradation because of the splices, I physically moved the Premiere into a room that had a direct run from my home base. NO CHANGE
    • I physically moved the Bolt to the Premiere line. Bolt worked fine and as expected, HBO was clear across the board. So the assumption should be that this Premiere is no longer able of decoding copyrighted materials correctly.

Well, here's the outliner of this whole trouble shooting process. During every one of these changes, one channel, channel (903) HBO2HD-W always worked and was always crystal clear. So if its a copyright issue why does that one channel decode?

I look forward to your questions, suggestions, and solutions my fellow Tivo brothers and sisters.
    Please and thank you
    Squirrel

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Not the issue you’re asking about but this statement...
    ... leaves me wondering why you can’t pull unprotected content off your BOLTs and Roamio (putting aside the angst directed at the Roamio).

3. bw Squirrel

bw Squirrel New Member

Aug 17, 2019
    Ive been hanging in there with the Tivo Transfer. I've tried a few of the the other ways, handbrake etc., and wasn't crazy about any of them but I'm always open to suggestions. Tivo Transfer doesn't recognize the newer machines. I build scenery for television for a living and I like to download at least a few episodes of the projects we work on so I have some content even though its only 720 to keep. But I'm a dinosaur and still have videotapes of stuff too so it may just be a habit more than a need. There is always a television on in my house, I'm a very much a product of my 70s television upbringing, it was my babysitter and a constant in our house since black and white tube sets.

And its not that I hate the Roamio, but it felt like they should have waited six months and worked out all the streaming bugs it has before releasing it. That machine is laggy even compared to the Premiere. And now that the new machines only stream from one another as opposed to transfer content it has become the weak link in my network. When Tivo has the turn-in offers with lifetime subscriptions I may consider turning it in for a Bolt or whatever is next but they only do the swap on the oldest machines which means my Premiere is likely next to be eligible. I've been considering just getting a mini Vox to replace the Roamio, but I wasn't paying attention when I got the first bolt and it only has 500G drive so its limited in capacity compared to my newer with a 3T drive. I know I can add external drives but that's a hassle too, especially with the much smaller boxes (which I love). Im slaving one mini now, I just don't want to end up with one or two machines always at 89% full.

4. Sonyad

Sonyad Member

Sep 2, 2014
    I got FIOS in April after decades with Comcast. The one premiere box I have doesn't have any problems with FIOS premium channels, so I have no clue why your's is having a problem. I'm sure you confirmed the channel lineup on the Premiere.

5. bw Squirrel

bw Squirrel New Member

Aug 17, 2019

Advertisements

Hi all

So the reception problem at my house continued to creep closer and closer to the main box. Verizon finally sent a tech out and sure enough they needed to replace several outdated and defective boards in my main box, five minutes later everything was fine across the board. Thanks for the help and suggestions

krkaufman likes this.
  6. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Not sure what Tivo Transfer is? There's the original TiVo Desktop software from TiVo which they no longer support but which still functions if you update the certificates with ones users have posted here. There's also pyTivo and pyTivo Desktop (nice UI wrapper and installer for pyTivo) provided by users here. Also kmttg provided by a user here which will do downloads. Those all support downloads from any TiVo although it sounds like you might be running TE4 on the newer TiVo's which doesn't support uploads back to the TiVo (need to use Plex) and doesn't support direct transfers through the UI but you can do transfers through TiVo Online. Note that some users have posted that the latest TE4 update (21.9.2.v4) may have broken downloads also at least through TiVo Desktop. Still waiting for more posts on this one.

Can't imagine why your Roamio would appear slower than the Premiere from other reports here. We have the Roamio Pro running TE3 and it was a huge improvement over our old S3 OLED's. You can transfer content through TiVo Online as mentioned above or you could downgrade the Roamio to TE3 if you want to support direct transfers (but you lose any shows on the TiVo in doing so unless you copy them off to your PC).

Scott