TiVo Premiere Satisfaction Poll

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by nrc, Apr 29, 2010.

How satisfied are you with your TiVo Premiere purchase?

Poll closed May 29, 2010.
  1. Very Satisfied

37.3%
  2. Somewhat Satisfied

34.5%
  3. Not sure / Undecided

5.9%
  4. Somewhat Dissatisfied

14.1%
  5. Very Dissatisfied

8.2%
  1. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...

Advertisements

It has been a month since the TiVo Premiere shipped so it seems like a good time to try to cut through the debates and measure how people feel about their TiVo Premiere purchase.

Please only answer this poll if you bought a TiVo Premiere. If you bought one and returned it that's fine fine, too. Names will be displayed with the results.

I'm not going to try to define "satisfied" in the responses, you can decide that for yourself. Feel free to share your reasoning below.

2. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    I would have been more satisfied with a couple changes especially hardware based, but overall I am pretty satisfied. I don't have a HDTV yet though that may change this week, so I haven't tried the new UI and as a result haven't had really any issues except one lockup pre 14.1C during a transfer/recording/playback.

For me it does exactly what I expected of it and is as reliable as always. I just wish it was a little more cutting edge.

3. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Very satisifed here! And the best thing is that it will only get better!

4. vtwep

vtwep Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Manassas, VA
    Haven't used Tivo in 5 years (long story). Bought two TPXL units when I switched to FiOS. I'm currently using the SD menus - for me, these are "new" and a huge improvement over my old Comcast DVR interface.

I haven't had any issues. I'm very happy with the units, and I'll switch over to the HD menus in a few months or whenever they are fully up and running with good reports.

Until then, I'm very pleased with my setup.

5. DPF

DPF So tired.....

Mar 20, 2003
    Naper-thrill...

Advertisements

After the 14c update and spending some time getting my wireless network stable, I'm very satisfied.

The 14c update fixed the lockups.

Improving my N network dramatically improved response in menus. No more 30 second hold-ups.

Probably going to jump over to wired just to make the experience even better/smoother.

Coming from a single tuner S2, I'm very satisfied.

-DPF

6. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Where is Clemm? So far over 75% of the people are either somewhat satsified or very satisifed.

7. b_scott

b_scott TiVo Fan

Nov 27, 2006
    chicago, il
    i put somewhat, because of the speed issues in the HDUI. Once that is fixed, I will be "very"

I'm tempted to upgrade my bedroom HD unit because my new shelving unit makes it stick out off the edge of the shelf, while my BD player and Xbox are flush. Plus it'd be faster. But I can't justify the cost right now. Once the speed increases I might be able to convince my wife.

8. aaroncgi

aaroncgi New Member

Apr 13, 2010
    My wife and I are first time Tivo users (have had a Dish DVR for 4 years prior) and are really happy with the Premiere. We haven't experienced any of the operational problems reported here - though we are using only the SD menus due to our TV from 1994. :) We are long time Netflix users, so love the ability to access much of our queue directly via the Tivo. I realize this feature isn't unique to the Tivo, but we don't have any of the other devices which can access Netflix (other than a computer), and we needed the Off-The-Air reception capability of the Tivo. Two huge step-ups from our Dish service are the free HD reception and recording as well as Dolby Digital 5.1 surround. The Tivo is much quieter than our Dish DVR was, and the 35% lower power consumption is nice for a device that's on 24/7/365.

9. Macros_1

Macros_1 New Member

Apr 22, 2010
    As this is our first Tivo, we are very satisfied with our new "friend". Sure there's been some bumps in the road, but as they have been fixed (cablecard config, TA problem, whine in background of analog channels)....it continues to get better.

Sure I've not been terrible impressed with Tivo's front line support. But the fact that Margret actually responded in the TA thread and took an interest in my issues shows the company does care. I can't say that about many of the companies I've dealt with. I'm just looking forward to the capabilities they continue to add. I don't know how I lived with TWC's DVR for as long as I have.

10. angel35

angel35 New Member

Nov 5, 2004
    NEW YORK CITY
    Every thing seems to be working like it should. It looks like the software fixed some or all the lockups.

11. NotVeryWitty

NotVeryWitty Too Big to Fail

Oct 3, 2003
    Central Mass.
    I voted Somewhat Satisfied.

I upgraded from two S2DT's to two Premieres, so the thrill of finally seeing HD shows on my HD TVs, and being able to switch from Charter to Fios, make it easy to ignore some of the issues that others are (legitimately) complaining about.

I've only had one reboot in about two weeks of fairly heavy use on the two new Premieres, and that was when playing a Netflix show (which is known to happen occasionally on the older Tivo models too). Scrolling the My Shows list is way too slow, but my list isn't very long yet.

The myriad bugs in the HD interface are more annoying to me than the constant switching back and forth between HD and SD menus. I do expect most of them to be fixed in the next few months, but I also know that some of them will be there forever (why should this model be any different than previous models). Sometimes I really wonder if the Tivo software engineers do any testing of their code at all, and if there's any sort of a software QA department -- I've written embedded software for 36 years, and only once have I worked at a company that would let that many bugs out the door (and I got away from that place as soon as I could).

12. DaveWhittle

DaveWhittle Member

Jul 24, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Now that the dust has settled somewhat, i have to admit after complaining about launch lock-ups and an unfinished HD-UI, I still like my Premiere. So I voted somewhat satisfied. Just operating it, skipping commercials, channel surfing, etc., it's a nice thing to have.

And my "somewhat" will jump to "very" if the HD-UI gets faster & more complete, the info overlays upgrade to HD, Netflix UI becomes comparable to other devices, and maybe the OTA signal gets improved. There's plenty of room for improvement, but it's in decent shape for me right now.

13. bbowen

bbowen New Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Too soon for me as I just got the thing totally working yesterday.

14. retired_guy

retired_guy New Member

Aug 27, 2004
    Saratoga,...
    Operating in SD mode, it's a significant improvement over the S3 models. Faster response times, faster MRV transfer rates and more energy efficient; I've never have had a hangup or reboot. I'll change to very satisfied when I see improvements in the HD response times and reliability along with a more complete set of HD screens, although I have to say that the HD screens are, in their present state, better than those I used to have on my Comcast/Motorola DVRs. I suspect many of those moving from cable company boxes wonder what all the complaining is about.

15. ltxi

ltxi New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Colorado
    Going with very satisfied and giving the benefit of the doubt here. After two out of three new HD XL units giving me major problems over 45 days, I bought into a PXL. At bit problematic at first but switching to the SD UI and the 14.1c update seems to have cured that....rock solid for the moment. Trying "plug and play" with my Comcast M-Card that was paired from previous HDXL even seems to have worked out ok.

16. jkudlacz

jkudlacz Member

Jan 20, 2009
    Miramar, FL
    I am in a same boat as many other long time owners of TiVo, after dealing with initial list of issues such as lock-ups, forced reboots and an unfinished HD-UI, I love my TiVo Premiere. While I used SDUI for 2 weeks prior to 14.1c update I didn't experienced any issues in SDUI but I was partially disappointed with HDUI/SDUI switching so I voted "somewhat satisfied".

I am happy with new features such as skipping commercials with 30s skip, channel surfing, HDUI when in HD, advanced search, 1 M-Card instead of 2 Cable Cards, smaller slimmer cool looking unit etc. I am still coping with lack of a clock on front panel and name of shows that are currently recording on the front.

I am counting days till next Software Update (Sometime in May could be 1st or 31st) and awaiting many other updates and additions that TiVo will give us. Once HDUI becomes full HDUI and performance is improved I will become VERY SATISFIED with my new TiVo Premiere till then I will still love my TiVo and tell everyone how great of a product it really is. Keep up good work and don't stop pushing those updates to us at 2am.

17. StevesWeb

StevesWeb Grumpy Old Geek

Dec 26, 2008
    Geek Hill,...
    My Premiere XL just arrived today. Currently I'm using Time Warner analog CATV and an antenna, I have a TW tech coming Sunday with a CableCard.

I'm very pleased with the speed of network downloads, I tried transferring a few videos from my Mac and it seemed at least twice as fast as my TiVo HD on a wired Ethernet LAN. Even the Netflix menus seem faster.

It does sometimes take a few seconds to draw a complete HD TiVo Central page, but it is fetching images from remote locations so that is to be expected. Overall it feels much snappier than the TiVo HD and I'm completely satisfied so far.

I have a bojillion Amazon videos cued up for download and I have recreated my Season Passes, no worries, no problems, no reboots, no unexpected delays.

18. global_dev

global_dev Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Northern VA
    As a first time tivo owner, the marketing threw me. I owned the s3s for 2 functional weeks and that was enough to see what tivo offered in an older unit and the current offering. I am hoping tivos plan is to blow our socks off with heavily optimized code, functions and features that more than just equal the competition. I am not even impressed by the current HDUI components as compared wmc in win7. Where is the design ui team looking for inspiration? My fios moto qip7k series dvr wasn't that bad, but i thought tivo s4 would blow it away. I like tivo, but the market for cablecard devices really left me with little to no choice.

19. LordNelson

LordNelson New Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Regretfully voted "very dissatisfied." Just way too buggy for a consumer release. Perhaps had my Premier not rebooted 3 times in the middle of "2 mules for Sister Sara" I might have been more lenient. Been a Tivo evangelist since 2000, now not so sure. I have reverted to SD menus and will try again in a few weeks.

20. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    MediaLivingRoom, why did you vote on this poll if you don't own a Premiere? The poll is "How satisfied are you with your TiVo Premiere purchase?" Trying to tamper with the results?