Tivo Premiere reviewed by engadget

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by fatlard, Mar 24, 2010.

1. fatlard

fatlard New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    http://engadget.com/2010/03/24/tivo-premiere-review/
    The flagship dvr did not fare too well

It maybe time for people to jump on the Moxi DVR bandwagon. However Moxi dvrs are currently backordered due to popularity. :)

2. TWinbrook46636

TWinbrook46636 Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Wow. It's worse than I thought. Very slow and unresponsive. It also sounds like the new interface will not be made system wide for a long time either. Many parts use the old interface. Same old listing grid too. I really see no point in releasing it now. It's clearly not ready at all.

3. kevinwill1

kevinwill1 Don't Get Eliminated

Apr 18, 2004
    High Point, NC
    Yeah, it looks like it needs to be put back in the oven a little while longer. :( This is a head-scratcher for sure. Hopefully they will have some system updates very soon after official launch.

4. SafariKC

SafariKC Weeeeeeeeeeee

Mar 6, 2000
    Stow, MA, USA
  5. dbtom

dbtom Member

Feb 14, 2002
    New York City
    Ugh. I preordered the XL. I am probably going to cancel the order. The one thing I can't stand is lag in the interface. I already have 2 TivoHDs, so the only feature I get is the interface

Anyone else thinking about canceling?

6. SafariKC

SafariKC Weeeeeeeeeeee

Mar 6, 2000
    Stow, MA, USA
    Yes... I've canceled mine. They need to prove themselves a bit more here before i decide to jump in.

7. RayChuang88

RayChuang88 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2002
    Sacramento,...
    Why does all your comments make me kiss my TiVo HD XL all the more? :D

The response on my DVR is fairly decent, and HD recording quality is outstanding (I just played back a recording of the new episode of Mythbusters and it looked just as good as the "live" version. :up:

8. greensky

greensky Member

Mar 3, 2010
    I canceled my order as well. It looks really half-baked.

9. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    I can't imagine why. The Premiere is still better than the HD in every way, AFAICT. Just switch it to the classic interface if the new one is slow, and it should outperform the older units.

10. mrsean

mrsean Active Member

May 15, 2006
    New Jersey
    Well, that's certainly not a good enough reason alone to lay out the extra cash to upgrade to a S4.

I quite frankly couldn't understand why the reviewer kept harping on how laggy the S4 interface is. I wonder how much time he spent using aned S3 because I find my THD to be kind of laggy as well. I just learned to live with it.

11. Enrique

Enrique Well-Known Member

May 15, 2006
  12. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.

"Now that you've purchased your new vehicle with the 4-wheel drive option, just make sure you don't try to actually use the option, because it won't work very well and will likely make for a far less safe or stable ride. Overall, however, we feel this new model will outpeform its predecessors."

:confused:

13. MediaLivingRoom

MediaLivingRoom New Member

Dec 10, 2002
    Don't but TiVo Premiere, all the other reviews say it s-l-o-w.....

14. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    It's slow in the current HD UI software. In everything else, it leaves the TiVo HD and Series3 in the dust.

Check the benchmarks. Check the video.

Be aware all of these tests were run under the classic software.

15. TivoCentral

TivoCentral Tivo Changed My Life

Jul 23, 2006
    Florida
    And there you have it: Technology 101!

Software, for various financial and marketing reasons, getting pushed out the door before it's 100% baked. This will only become more common as hardware becomes more flexible, based on firmware and software updates.

Most people understand this (Windows Vista, Windows 7), and that's why there are increasingly two groups of "early adopters" --- those who "gotta have it now" (and will tolerate some annoyances until the software is fully updated)... and those who wait 6-12 months until the early bugs are worked out.

From both reviews, it seems like the new interface itself rocks, it just needs updates, the other core, and for the UI to go all the way through the experience, not just the top menu.

And of course there's the inevitable "I wish all the options (wireless, keyboard remote) were standard --- for the same price, of course!"

Ironically, I think if you asked enthusiasts if they'd rather have waited for Premiere, they (including me) would say, "I want it now --- release it, even with a few bugs". No one's forcing us to buy it.

Don't get me wrong --- given all the hype, I was disappointed, too. But while I wish it did everything under the sun, I am confident that TiVo will keep updating and adding the features that people want (thank you, patent money!).

Personally, I sold my last S2, I'm keeping my HD, and I'm buying a Premiere (in part to lock in the upgrade deal), but will probably run it mostly with the old UI for a few months. If experience is any indicator, updates will just keep making it better and better over the next few months and years.

16. chicagobrownblue

chicagobrownblue Well-Known Member

May 29, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Tivo is finding out just how difficult multi-threaded programming is for dual/multi core processors. Once they get the hang of it, the whole thing can double its performance. I see many comments in the review that are positive and will keep my order. The problematic nature of cable cards has to be better now than a couple of years ago. Slimmer, trimmer, all black and double the HD recording capacity for $229 still gets my vote and money.

17. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    wow- that reviewer just upset me. He totally and completely dissed the Moxi and Digeo/Arris. Does he have any idea what is actually going on in the DVR market?

18. acvthree

acvthree Active Member

Jan 17, 2004
    Carrollton,...
    Unless this turns out like M-card support on the Series 3. Yes, we support the dual core processor, but only in single core mode.

Don't assume software that is not available. We have history here.

Al

19. solutionsetc

solutionsetc Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Northern...
    My impression is that all programming is difficult for TiVo and they have never gotten the hang of it. I don't know if this is due to an obsolete and brittle code base or just sloppy engineering and/or poor QA, but so much of what they do seems half-baked.

I find it kind of ironic that we're all looking forward to "what may come in the future" given all the posts made in the "S3 Owners screwed" thread asserting that those who had expectations for the future over and above what was delivered at the time of purchase were foolish and unrealistic. :D

20. jmpage2

jmpage2 Active Member

Jan 20, 2004
    TiVo has a terrible track record of "completing" things. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they are putting more work into "Premiere Series 2" than they are into Premiere before too long.

You are effectively gambling with your money that TiVo can execute and they don't have a history of executing very well.

Look at the issues;

1. No multi-cpu support.

2. 80% of UI not written in HD.

3. Audio dropouts when switching between viewing modes.

4. No updated program guide.

5. Missing major touted features such as Pandora, etc.

6. No new software for core features like Netflix.

You really think they are going to have all that ready this summer? There's almost no way. It will be 12 months at the very earliest. In that 12 months the product price will plummet because this turkey isn't going to sell.

There is a very real possibility that TiVo simply scraps this generation 1/2 way through development, screwing over their customers, so that they can start working on the next product.

TiVo upper management needs to be FIRED! :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown: <press enter for reboot>