Tivo Premiere Remote Lockups in HDUI

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by rahnbo, May 24, 2011.

1. rahnbo

rahnbo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=456559

Since the long thread above is devoted to the SDUI remote lockups I wanted to start a new thread related to HDUI lockups. Over the year that I've had 2 Premiere units I've toggled back and forth between SDUI and HDUI. I would go to SDUI because HDUI is too slow. SDUI is fast, but frequently locks up for 10 minutes at a time becoming unresponsive to any remote input. Since I spent more time over the past year in the SDUI than HDUI I was not aware of lockup problem in the HDUI. I got so fed up with the SDUI lockups (and Tivo's complete denial there is a problem) that I finally went to the HDUI and decided to stick with it despite the pathetic laggy interface. I experienced an HDUI lockup about a week after that but not much else went wrong in the past month. Then suddenly I started getting lockups in the HDUI just like SDUI (both units). It would just throw up the green ring and become totally unresponsive to the remote for about 10 minutes. See the YouTube videos links below to see what happens. The second video was the tail end of the 10 minutes and cleared away at the end. I kinda held my comments until the next update since according to Tivo I'm the only person in the world with any kind of Tivo Premiere lag issues or lockups in either SDUI or HDUI but even the latest update didn't fix a thing.

http://youtu.be/TZz0BOSJK1M

http://youtu.be/tGyhzbmL80A

The only good thing to come out of my Premiere purchase (and last ever Tivo purchase) is that I did upgrade to a 40mbit internet connection which is pretty kick-a**, but doesn't do squat for Premiere. I know, I know, I know there are people out there who never have an issue with their Premieres. They are super fast, never lock up, never miss a recording, don't show any ads, never need rebooting, and make their breakfast in the morning with eggs just the way they like them. For me, they both suck.

2. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    I never get this on my Premieres. Did you try to reboot the UI? I want to say it is thumbs down, thumbs up, play pause or pause play. It just reloads the UI and doesn't require a reboot.

3. rahnbo

rahnbo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    Yup. Never got that trick to work during a lockup. I have to wait it out 10 minutes or reboot just like the SDUI lockups.

4. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Sounds like it is related to your setup whether related to the cable company if you are using TAs or something with your network then.

I have never had a lockup and I have had Premieres since launch and use them daily.

5. rahnbo

rahnbo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    Yea it's a common belief that the TA's have something to do with it but its also a common belief that Tivo should be able to set up adequate error trapping to prevent this from happening. A while back I did some testing to see if it was a network issue and left the 2 units off the grid but lockups still occurred. Even if it were a network problem you wouldn't think it should bring a Premiere to its knees like that.

6. kturcotte

kturcotte Active Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Portland, ME
    Tivo NEEDS to do something about these lockups. I WAS considering purchasing a 2nd Premiere, now I'm thinking about dumping Tivo all together once my contract is up and going to Dish or back to Directv.