TiVo Premiere Remote doesn't play well with SONOS Playbar

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by alvamark, Aug 5, 2019.

1. alvamark

alvamark New Member

Dec 25, 2004
    Edmond, OK
    First of all, my apologies if this issue has been previously discussed. I looked and didn't find anything similar.
    I have a Sonos Playbar, also in the setup is a Panasonic TV and a TiVo Premiere XL. The way the Sonos is set up is to take over all speaker functions, and mostly, it works beautifully. The only problem is that to use the TiVo remote for volume control, you must repeatedly press UP volume or DOWN volume, pressing and holding the volume button is the same as pressing it and release immediately. So if you want volume to go up or down very much, you must repeatedly press the buttons. (You can see the light on the Sonos flash, it does not stay on.)
    If I use the TV remote for volume, press and hold works the way you would expect, when it's loud or soft enough, release the button. (The light on the Sonos stays lit as long as you have the TV remote volume button pushed.) Using the volume buttons on a Roku remote works as expected, a "long press" keeps changing volume as long as you hold the button.
    The way we deal with this is that we keep the TV remote handy to control volume easily.
    Does anyone have any ideas to correct this? Also, I love the Sonos. I had a Bose setup briefly, but it didn't work more than it worked, so I took it back to the store and bought a Sonos. One irritation on Bose is that it locks itself up for firmware updates, and you can't do anything about it, other than wait. At least Sonos does it in the background. And half of the time, the Bose just wouldn't work, then I'd spend 30 minutes trying to troubleshoot, while my wife is fuming because it won't work. The sound on the Bose may be a tad better, but not enough to outweigh the pain in the ass it was.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    First thing to try is new batteries.