TiVo Premiere records right time, WRONG channel--why?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by DPJohnson, Sep 18, 2011.

1. DPJohnson

DPJohnson New Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Council...
    On two separate occasions so far, my TiVo Premiere has turned on to record a specific show, but recorded the wrong channel. It's happened with the same show I wanted both times. I set it via "Record by time or channel" and I have added a five minute bumper before my show is supposed to start. Preceding my show is a half-hour of Paid Programming, and I expect it to get the last five minutes of that plus my show and maybe 20 minutes of the next show (another bumper I added). The show I want is on my CBS station, but the first time it recorded the CW station, and the second time it got the Fox station instead. Those channels also had Paid Programmimg, but I KNOW I set it for the CBS station. Is the problem with TiVo Premiere, my cable card, or TiVo in general? Now on top of this, I hear that there will be a new model TiVo to offset falling subscription numbers and TiVo owners. Is TiVo a sinking ship; should I go back to using a Cox Cable DVR? HELP!!!

2. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Why are you manually recording by time/channel vs. using the guide? the fact that you're using this different method and having the same problem multiple times has me suspecting the method.

and in consumer electronics there's always a newer and shiner model around the corner, but so far IMNSHO there isn't a cable company DVR out there that would convince me to switch to them from my S3 and Premiere.

3. DPJohnson

DPJohnson New Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Council...
    I did it by Time and channel instead of using the guide because the show might start out several minutes early, that's why. I don't trust this station with the way it schedules (or doesn't schedule) the shows I excpect them to carry at the times they say they will.

4. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    You can add padding on any recording, both before and after. The choices are more limited but sufficient for your purposes. You can start it 1-5, or 10 mins early and end it 1-5, 10, 15, 30, 60, 90, or 180 mins later.

Also, you say that you can't depend on this station showing what they have scheduled when they have it scheduled, so how are you so certain that what got recorded was not what they showed?

BTW, what show were you trying to record and what time and channel did you enter? You can look in the "Recording History" to find our what you actually entered.

5. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    One other thing occurred to me - this is a Premiere. Are you using the HD menus? If so, by what method did you determine what time to set for the recording? There is a known problem with the HD menus and reported show times.

6. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    As lpwcomp said, record off the guide and pad appropriately, there are too many places in a manual recording where you might make a mistake without knowing it, the fact that you've had the problem more than once suggests it's a repeatable issue, or a repeatable step that you're using.

I would suggest as a test to do a recording off the guide and pad for the program you want and see if that works. If Premieres were regularly recording things on the wrong channels it would be all over the forums here. Right channel wrong time is the one that you see in some cases, but not vice versa.

7. DPJohnson

DPJohnson New Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Council...
    I checked "Recording History" and it said the show wasn't recorded because it was no longer in the program guide. Huh?

8. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    I'm very confused. Which is it? It recorded the wrong channel or it didn't record at all?

Are you sure you are looking at the entry for the manual recording? Does it say "Manual:"? Is the manual recording perhaps still in your "My Shows" or "Now Playing" list? It won't show up in the Recording History until you delete it. If you haven't deleted it, look at it and see what time and channel it says it was recorded, bearing in mind that if you are using the HD menus, the time will be off by an hour.

9. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Why are the HD menu times off by an hour? Has TiVo still not figured out how to do DST?

10. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    More like they forgot how since the problem is only in the HD menus.

Even if you are using the HD menus, the times are correct in the Guide. And of course, in the menus that are still SD, such as browse by time or channel.