TiVo Premiere Randomly Deleting Shows

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by TheBum, Nov 13, 2011.

1. TheBum

TheBum New Member

Nov 13, 2011
    IA

Advertisements

Strange thing lately has been occurring with our Premiere. Capacity showed at 53%, set to record a 2 hour hd movie (about 10gb in size) overnight-which should have raised the capacity to around 60%. Come back this morning and capacity was sitting at 49%. NOT GOOD. Going through the my shows list shows it deleted EIGHT unwatched 30 minute shows (only SD quality) that had been recorded around a month ago. This is not the first time something like this has occurred and is very worrisome-does not bode well for the Tivo being trustworthy.

Reading other forums, I turned off groups to see if they magically reappeared. No luck. Suggestions are off, and only a couple of shows are set to record on the to-do list.

Is there something we are missing, a bug in the TiVo OS, something else?

Thanks in advance!

2. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    How many shows are the season passes set to hold? How big is your drive?

Only a couple of shows in the to do list? That's what I would call strange? Then again I have about 500 SP/WL so my red lights stay on...

3. TheBum

TheBum New Member

Nov 13, 2011
    IA
    All the season passes were set to keep shows until space needed-now switched to keep until I delete. It's the standard size Premiere, so 320gb.

Yes, unfortunate to lose those shows, but hopefully changing everything to keep until I delete will prevent this from happening. But sitting at only 60% capacity, it shouldn't be needed to begin with.

4. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    Recently Deleted Folder is empty?

5. TheBum

TheBum New Member

Nov 13, 2011
    IA

Advertisements

It is.

6. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    There is also a setting to keep only 1 or 5 of a show. That was the setting I was referring to. I've had that too low and it would delete episodes before I get a chance to view them.

7. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    There could be a bug in displaying the capacity correctly.

My gut tells me if you don't have a suggestions folder and recently deleted is sitting at 0, the hard drive is full.

Setting your shows to KUID may keep them around until you watch them, but your Tivo will not record anything new until it gets space.

8. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    This sounds non-random to me. The disk is full, I have never gotten there with my Premiere, but I would be interested in anyone who has their capacity at 100%. I would not be surprised if it showed the capacity of what it has recorded already, but started deleting things to make space when the to do list indicated something to record in the guide.

KUID is not the solution, the solution is to get a 2TB drive and put it in there!

9. TheBum

TheBum New Member

Nov 13, 2011
    IA
    Got ya. It has always been set to keep all episodes. The wife was recording Degrassi a couple of months ago-had a new show every weeknight for at least 4 weeks straight. She had over 20 episodes and was down to the last 8.

10. TheBum

TheBum New Member

Nov 13, 2011
    IA
    We have never come close to filling this 320gb hard drive. We generally get to shows pretty quick. Manually adding up the space using TiVo desktop puts it around 50% of hdd capacity, so the capacity indicator appears to be accurate.

11. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Not everyone can afford that solution.

What does the recording history say is the reason they were deleted?

12. jrtroo

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Apologies, I was not clear.

I believe that while you may be only 50% full of content NOW, the TiVo has already assigned the remaining 50% on content scheduled to be recorded. It needs to flush older content that has been designated that it can delete to make space for the new. When your deleted folder is at zero, that is what is going on. In fact, prior to that little capacity widget, many here indicated a disk indicator was not necessary as the deleted folder let you know when the disk was full of content and scheduled recordings.

While new drives are getting pricier in the short run, deals can still be found. A DIY upgrade can solve this issue better than a KUID as a KUID can prevent new content from being recorded.

13. subarr

subarr New Member

Sep 25, 2008
    Georgia
    People will discourage you from KUID, but I'll advocate for it. Use KUID for everything, and monitor your To Do list. It will tell you how much room is left. The To Do list populates chronologically (not priority), so you can always see how many days in advance you're running. Right now, I have shows in the To Do up to Friday at 8:00 p.m. As I delete shows, more will get added on for Friday night, Sat. morning, etc. As long as you stay ahead, nothing gets skipped, and it'll tell you when you better start deleting!

This isn't the way TiVo says it works, but it is, in fact, the way it works. If you don't mind being vigilant by checking To Do every day or so, it works better than trying to monitor the Deleted Shows file since you know exactly which day your empty space is going to be full.

I've been running my two TiVos like this for 8 years, never missed a recording due to space.

14. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    In the nearly 10 years that I have had TiVos, I have never seen any of them delete content in anticipation of a need for space at some future date. It only deletes something when it actually needs the space. This is in fact the only acceptable behavior as you may delete something on your own before the space is required.

Why is preventing new content from being recorded worse than losing older content you haven't yet watched?

To the OP: Have you actually looked in the folder for the recently deleted? If you are using the HD menus, there is no counter on the folder icon as there is when using the SD menus.

15. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    I don't know what you mean by that. This is the way TiVo has always said it works. In fact, it will not schedule something to record if it thinks that by the time the recording is scheduled to begin there will not be enough space. It adds the space currently utilized by recordings marked KUID to space that it determines will be needed for KUID recordings that will be made between now and then in order to make this calculation.

It's all very well to tell someone to upgrade but sometimes they can't afford it no matter how "inexpensive" it is.

16. jrtroo

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    First, lets recognize that TiVo is a luxury, and while I understand avoiding unnecessary expenses, the price of a hard disk is often not an issue for a TiVo owner. In fact, I recommend performing a self-upgrade to the OP as a significant savings over external drive option offered by TiVo.

My recommendation is also based upon not wanting to have to micromanage the unit, and letting it do its thing. If an owner wants to actively watch shows to make sure they get future ones, great. Personally, I want the TiVo to manage this for me, and a $60 hdd gets that job done (I know, by the time this posts it may be a $80 hdd). It also allows for me to leave suggestions on to discover new content.

To each their own.

17. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Actually, discussion about upgrading doesn't belong in this thread anyway. The recordings are disappearing from the OP's TiVo for no discernible reason. Lack of space is not the problem.

18. TheBum

TheBum New Member

Nov 13, 2011
    IA
    Thanks for the lively discussion, it does actually help in decision making. I had bought an external WD hdd for a Series 3. That thing died just after one year-which was exactly 7 days after the warranty expired. Never again will I purchase an external. I have considered the DIY internal, but we've never gone over 70% capacity, so really didn't think it was necessary. Even if it is "reserving" space for upcoming programs in the next 2 weeks, it still would not reach 100% capacity.

May just have to chalk this up to a bug or glitch, or something...

19. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Did the Recording History have any entries for the shows that disappeared?

20. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Do you have *another* Tivo in the room or house, that may be inadvertently set to the same IR code, so you are controlling the Premiere with the "other" remote? That has happened to people.