Tivo Premiere Problems!

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by millie, Jul 28, 2011.

1. millie

millie New Member

Jul 28, 2011

Advertisements

This is the 3rd Premiere we've had since March because we keep having to exchange them! And each one is worse than the one before! First, let me say that we connect with a phone line, not thru the internet. Of course Tivo Cust Serv wants to blame this as our problem even though the Premiere was designed to work with a phone connection as well as with an internet connection!

Here are the problems we are having ...

(1) Fast-forwarding on slowest speed often cuts out the volume, but motion is at normal speed - not fastforwarding at all! Then speeds up, then slows down again.

(2) Black-grey screen fluttering between programs and commercials.

(3) Sometimes as I hit delete at the end of a show, it flashes a fast image of something that has nothing to do with what I just watched. When I rewind and watched everything from the end of the show to the end of the entire recording, that image is nowhere to be found.

(4) Wallpaper not re-drawing when returning from program to My Shows or Tivo Central. Just black screen with white text.

BUT THE BIGGEST PROBLEM IS:

(5) Breaking up of the recording. Sometimes it appears like a bright multi-colored "rip" in the fabric of the recording, sometimes people’s faces actually break up or distort.

We've only had this (3rd) Premiere for 1.5 months. Problems are becoming more frequent. We have not yet connected our expander, as Tivo Cust Serv tried to tell us with Premiere #2 that the expander was causing the problem. Clearly this is NOT the case!

Does anyone have any answers or suggestions?

2. Stuxnet

Stuxnet Alien Infidel

Feb 8, 2011
    Have you checked your channel strength? Are you using HDUI or SDUI?

3. millie

millie New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    How do I check my channel strength, and how do I tell if I'm using HDUI or SDUI?

Forgive my ignorance ... technical stuff is not my forte!

4. vio2112

vio2112 New Member

Apr 18, 2011
    South of Heaven
    No offense, but what are you doing using a phone line on a modern consumer electronics device? This is 2011, not 1999. How are you even posting this here if you don't have internet access?

And no, the Premiere was not really designed to work with a clunky, slowtastic, unstable phone line. It can "sort of" work(with that silly usb dongle thing), but it was never intended to do so. Roughly half the capabilities of the system are flushed down toilet without broadband internet connected to it, just like most any modern consumer electronics product. There's a reason the Premiere does not have a built in analog phone modem... Hopefully the Series 5 Tivo will do away entirely with even the mere ability to use a phone line to connect to the service.

5. millie

millie New Member

Jul 28, 2011

Advertisements

We do have internet access for the computer, obviously. But the Tivo is not connected to the internet. Just don't want to spend any more money than we already have! Although, I admit, we might just have to bite the bullet!

However, I don't see where this has anything to do with the problems I have listed. The phone connection is only used to download programming and software updates. The problems we have occur AFTER we have recorded, while we are watching those recordings, and when navigating thru Tivo menus.

6. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    Your cable signal is weak. You can replace the Premiere 500 times and it won't fix a bad signal.

And buy the wireless adapter or connect via ethernet. As someone above said, this isn't 1999.

7. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    This isn't exclusive to the Premiere. Same thing happens on the Series 3/TivoHD.
    It's due to the way the video is encoded. There's nothing TiVo can do about that without changing the way the software handles FF'ing.